the SMALLEST multi-shot .45ACP EVER! meet the LM4

This is a discussion on the SMALLEST multi-shot .45ACP EVER! meet the LM4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this story is for all of you with deep pockets who are interested in the smallest multi-shot .45ACP firearm ever made. most of this information ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: the SMALLEST multi-shot .45ACP EVER! meet the LM4

the SMALLEST multi-shot .45ACP EVER! meet the LM4

this story is for all of you with deep pockets who are interested in the smallest multi-shot .45ACP firearm ever made.

most of this information is taken from the latest issue of Combat Handguns, December 2012.

how would you like a .45ACP gun more than 1" shorter and with .7" less height than a Springfield XDs, with a barrel .2" longer, and 4+1 capacity? it is all steel, but weighs only 24 ounces empty (2.5 ounces more than a polymer frame XDs). sound impossible? well let me introduce the Semmerling LM4 from American Derringer. the design dates back to 1974, with a patent awarded in 1976.

being somewhat older than most of you, i remember reading about this gun and lusting after one, but with a total production of only 600 guns (during the 70's and 80's), my chances of obtaining and affording one were virtually zero. i knew that American Derringer had bought the rights to the gun, but i never heard of them actually making any. well, here it is in 2012.

the secret is that it is NOT a semi-auto. instead, it is MANUALLY OPERATED. after each shot, the operator must hand-cycle the slide first FORWARD, THEN BACK, to eject the fired brass and chamber the next round. there are grooves on the sides and top of the slide to facilitate this, and i'm told that with practice, reloading can be accomplished rather quickly.

American Derringer says that one man builds each gun, taking between six and eight weeks to complete one.

oh, and i did mention the necessary deep pockets? not to carry it, but to pay for it. list price is $4,250, and don't expect any discount. my memory says that even in the 1970's the price was around $2,000. if you want to learn more, buy the magazine or contact the company at 254.799.9111 or on-line at amderringer.com

2. Remove Ads

Yeah right,a Defensive handgun that after the first shot you must manually cycle the action for each subsequent shot not to mention loss of velocity etc in the short barrel,and at 4+1 is MSRP over $4000.00.
    I'll spend my money on something that is actually geared toward defense and not trying to be the smallest gimmicky new thang this week.I could buy a handful of great SA Pistols or revolvers,for $4000 that would cover pretty much any concealment issue I could think of.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Yeah right,a Defensive handgun that after the first shot you must manually cycle the action for each subsequent shot not to mention loss of velocity etc in the short barrel

you have a good point, but many people buy .45ACP 1911's with 3" or 3.5" barrels, and at 3.5", the LM4's barrel is longer than the barrel on the very popular XDs.

personally, i too can think of many better firearm-related ways to spend 4K, but different strokes for different folks. AmDerringer says that virtually every gun they made is sold before it's completed, so there are enough people out there who want them.

also bear in mind that in the 1970's there was NOTHING close to the size/caliber that this gun offered. heck, it's smaller and lighter than a Walther PPK .380.

VIP Member
    Interesting, very pricey, but not for me. CC has really been a big boom for gun manufactures, I believe most all of them are making one, and it seems like I have one of each.

That being said I'm on a "personal campaign" to choose a full sized gun more often to CC.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Having to hand cycle the action after each shot kind of defeats the purpose of 4+1 capacity, at least IMO. If you have to manually cycle it, you'd be better off with a revolver.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I just purchased an original <100 serial number Boston Ma Semmerling (Not the AMD Stainles clone) for 4.5K. I have lusted after one of these since I was a starving law student in the early 80s & first read about them in an issue of American Handgunner. Logical buying decision? Well.....no. Any regrets? NONE. I love this little gun. It is extremely well made, functions flawlessly, and does exactly what it was originally designed to do: hide well and hit the target with reasonable accuracy at short distances with 45acp authority. I own other more logically defensible guns [Glock 17, HK P7M8, model 60 & 66 SWs, Magna-ported Ruger redhawk in 357 (yes 357 not 44 magnum)] & other perhaps less practical guns as well, [Desert eagle 50AE , NAA 22lr, Ruger targetmaster Mark II, Nambu type 14, & a 1st generation Colt police positive 4 (or was it 5) inch barrel] but if a fire broke out in my house & I could only grab one gun it would be the Semmerling. I realize my attraction to the Semmerling is probably bordering on the raw edge of obsessive but isnt that why there are so many kinds of guns? I would venture to say that the world would be a pretty boring place if everyone carried a Glock or 1911. Besides this is America; a country where a lot of good folks put their lives on the line so that the rest of us could enjoy the freedom to be different & I'm going to (gratefully) be different! Oh & the icing on the cake? The Semmerling was designed forged, and manufactured right here in the USA.
    CLASS3NH and sensei2 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawsco View Post
    I just purchased an original <100 serial number Boston Ma Semmerling (Not the AMD Stainles clone) for 4.5K.
    I'm glad you found one and own it. I agree with you and also "enjoy the freedom to be different"......a few years ago I bought a BAR ! It wasn't particularly logical, but I do like it a lot.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Thats cool and quite the prize for a collector, but i will hold out for a model with a crank on the side.
    Taurahe and WHEC724 like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Administrator
    Just FYI back when they were first introduced (way back when) they were $900.00 which was a lot to pay for a handgun back then. It was always an expensive Boy Toy.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Strange gun...

Based on the poster's description I had to Google this to see what it looks like. I found the photo below on the Internet. It is certainly an unusual gun!

By the way, the Walther PPK 380 weighs 22 ounces according to Genitron, so I think the Semmerling is slightly heavier.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    By the way, the Walther PPK 380 weighs 22 ounces according to Genitron, so I think the Semmerling is slightly heavier.
    yes, you're correct. i was in a hurry, so i guessed. guessed wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by lawsco View Post
    I just purchased an original <100 serial number Boston Ma Semmerling (Not the AMD Stainles clone) for 4.5K. I have lusted after one of these since I was a starving law student in the early 80s & first read about them in an issue of American Handgunner. Logical buying decision? Well.....no. Any regrets? NONE. I love this little gun. It is extremely well made, functions flawlessly, and does exactly what it was originally designed to do: hide well and hit the target with reasonable accuracy at short distances with 45acp authority. ...if a fire broke out in my house & I could only grab one gun it would be the Semmerling. I realize my attraction to the Semmerling is probably bordering on the raw edge of obsessive but isnt that why there are so many kinds of guns? I would venture to say that the world would be a pretty boring place if everyone carried a Glock or 1911. Besides this is America; a country where a lot of good folks put their lives on the line so that the rest of us could enjoy the freedom to be different & I'm going to (gratefully) be different! Oh & the icing on the cake? The Semmerling was designed forged, and manufactured right here in the USA.
    amen, brother. and i'm glad one of us was able to satisfy an ancient craving.

Something doesn't seem right with the math to me, list is $4000.00 so I'd guess dealers cost is $2800.00 or so. That means the manufacturer cost is about half of that or $1400.00. The man who makes one works on it for 6-8 weeks (240-320 hours)? What does that guy make an hour? $1400.00 divided by 240 is $5.80, that's less than minimum wage. That omits the cost of material.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Too much money to even consider for such a thing. Its not that I cant afford it, it is that I wont

And as far as made in USA, cant I come close to this with a Kel Tec of some sort for 1/10 the price?
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

VIP Member
    What is the attraction?
    Taurahe likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links