SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c? - Page 2

SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c?

This is a discussion on SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the shield and a "chopped" full size M&P, both in 9mm. I haven't put enough rounds through the shield to get as comfortable ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c?

I have the shield and a "chopped" full size M&P, both in 9mm.

I haven't put enough rounds through the shield to get as comfortable with it as I am the full size but both are very nice pieces especially once you add some of te APEX parts to them.

SR9C would be my choice. I have the SR40c, bought the 40 because when it gets hard to find ammo, the 9mm goes first and there is still .40 on the shelf.

Ruger SR9C is a fine 9mm for a double stack it is slimmer than you might expect. Come with the 10 and with the 17 depending on your needs .
    The weapon is flawless with either. Taking nothing away from the Shield it is a fine weapon also.
    The Ruger is value for cash spent and a fine weapon on top of that if your looking for a double stack.

Shield is very concealable, has a fantastic trigger, natural point of aim and only costs $450 so you can't go wrong with this choice!
    Last edited by Fnfalguy; September 16th, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

I don't believe you would go wrong with any of them.

I own the SR9c and love it. I also think the S&W's are find weapons. I chose the SR9c because it had features I was looking for and it had a good reputation. I picked the 9 over the 40 because of ammo price. To me 9mm gives a good price vs. performance ratio.

The SR9c is large enough to be used as a home defense weapon while being small enough to easily use for CC. I'm a large guy and I wear mine with a Makenzie IWB holster. No one is ever the wiser. With the pinky extension on the 10 round mag it fits just right in my hand and is comfortable to shoot.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I have both the SR9c and the M&P9c. I like the feel of the M&P in my hand better. It also gives the option of not having a safety which mine doesn't and that is the way I prefer to carry. The M&P also holds two more rounds. The one thing the SR9c excels at is the trigger. I love the trigger on that gun. Short take up and a little lighter pull and a better reset. If the M&P had the SR9 trigger, that would be an awesome combination. But as they are, I could go either way. Can't go wrong with either. I also have a Shield. If/when S&W puts the Shield trigger in the rest of the M&P line, then I would go with the M&P because that Shield trigger is better.

VIP Member
    I am an unabashed M&P fan.
    I like Ruger a lot as well.

Ruger all metal pistols; A-
    Ruger polymer pistols; B+
    S&W all metal pistols; A+
    S&W Polymer pistols; A
    OMHO.

I would opt for the M&P9c.
    Get your mitts on all that you are considering and run 100 rounds through each.
    Then decide.
    Won't go sideways with either choice though.

Here's what Jeff and the boys say;

Ruger; Ruger SR9c Compact 9mm Semi-Auto Pistol

S&W;
    Shield, Smith & Wesson* M&P Shield Sub-Compact 9x19mm Semi-Auto Pistol

M&P9c, Smith & Wesson M&P Compact* 9mm Semi-Auto Pistol

Here is a youtube between the 9c and the Ruger, Smith and Wesson M&P9c vs. Ruger SR9c - YouTube
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Boxy? That's a criteria now? Listen, the Glock models will still be in production after those others have been replaced or "improved".
    Walden likes this.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Gotta give a +1 to Ruger, but you will not be undergunned with what ever choice you make. What ever feels best to YOU! You are the one who will be carrying and depending on it to save your life. Everyone has an opinion, but a striker fired pistol is a striker fired pistol. Basics are the same, just the bodies are different, and not by a bunch. The most important gun is the one that you will carry, so, go somewhere you can handle all of them and see what feels best in YOUR hands and points more naturally. Just my 2cents.

Since your in MA, I would get the sr9c. It has a nice trigger out of the box, the M&P compact and shield will have a 10lb+ trigger and will need a trigger job ( higher up front cost). The shield is not even available yet and may be hard to get. Since you like revolvers, why not a snubnose 38?

I can only attest to the Ruger SR9C as it is the only sidearm I have. That being said I like the way it fits my hands (Strong & weak side) and the accuracy out of the box is quite good. My wife likes mine enough that I had to buy her one also. We now have "His and Hers" 9C's. I have over 1000 rounds through it and have not had a single issue. Eats anything I feed it and spits it out where I want it to go. Can't ask for much more, and the price is a keeper as well as inexpensive target ammo. I don't think you could go wrong with this choice.
    Patriot Guard Rider
    Navy Veteran
    Navy Dad
    GCO and NRA Member

If you can only have one carry gun, choose one of the double-stack compacts instead of the Shield. I love my Shield for deep concealment, formal engagements that require slacks, or for when I am working out; but the Shield is just not quite as substantial as a double-stack "fighting" pistol. I much prefer my Glock 19 when concealment isn't as big of an issue.

Look also at the Springfield 3.8 subcompact, Beretta PX4 compact, Walther PPS or PPQ, and the Glock 26 or 19 (I got over the blockiness eventually).
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

I held the M&P 9c today and was not a fan, it was a bit too small for me. I didn't get to check out the extended mag, the owner just nodded when I asked if I could check it out, so he seemed confused.

In contrast I held a S&W Model 27-2 and it was a monster, but just the right size.

I held the SR9 and I liked it, and I'm not a huge fan of the M&P line, something about their recoil and general hand-feel is off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    Since your in MA, I would get the sr9c. It has a nice trigger out of the box, the M&P compact and shield will have a 10lb+ trigger and will need a trigger job ( higher up front cost). The shield is not even available yet and may be hard to get. Since you like revolvers, why not a snubnose 38?
    That's a possibility, but as I already have a .38 revolver in the Model 10 I kind of wanted a different caliber this time. Especially a 9mm which ammo is much cheaper for.

A snubby .38 is an option down the road, but I would not get a hammerless/concealed hammer. I tried shooting one and found the trigger pull so uncomfortable stiff it threw off my aim enough to get a range guard mad at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointblank View Post
    Boxy? That's a criteria now? Listen, the Glock models will still be in production after those others have been replaced or "improved".
    I don't like the general feel of them, same as the M&P. It's just not my style, at least the ones I've shot or handled.

Don't get mad, it's just my opinion. I'm a revolver guy mostly, I'm not a big fan of the majority of newer semi-automatics.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    to me you should not be buying a SR9c or any M&P's... just buy the revolver you like best or you will always regret not doing it. As far as weight/size you can conceal any type/weight/size handgun in any type of clothing if you have 1.) A Good Holster 2.) A Good Belt 3.) Good Will Power. Why I'm saying this because I'm 5'4 and 135 pounds. What do I carry. A Full Size M&P40.

These are the places I've carried that normal people might not think they could a full size gun:
    1.) Swimming/water park rides (yes smart carry style under the swim suit and NO shirt on)
    2.) Running
    3.) Boating
    4.) Working under a car (break jobs, oil changes etc.)
    5.) Tubing down a river.

Here is a few videos that will show you how easy it can be. The last one compares Revolver sizes to semi autos. Remember Semi's hold more rounds.

Full Size Handgun Concealability - YouTube
    Concealed Carry for a Female - YouTube
    S&W 442 Review - YouTube

let me know if this helps
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Love the m&p 9c. Haven't shot the other two, but the M&P is awesome and hides nicely with most clothes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links