SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c? - Page 3

SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c?

This is a discussion on SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; M&P9c. Then again, I'm biased. I bought a Nano the other day, not much difference in size than the Shield (which are nowhere to be ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c?

M&P9c. Then again, I'm biased.

I bought a Nano the other day, not much difference in size than the Shield (which are nowhere to be found locally). On paper there is a size difference between the shield and the 9c, but if concealing is the goal, I'm really not sure you'd find it any harder to conceal the M&P9c over the Shield.

I own a S&W 620 which is my favorite gun. When fishing or outdoors it is always on my hip. But it is to big and heavy to use as a carry gun. For that I have a SR9c and LCR. I love both of them! I have 700 flawless rounds thru the SR9c and it the best value of all three guns! I actually like having the option of the safety and practice using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    to me you should not be buying a SR9c or any M&P's... just buy the revolver you like best or you will always regret not doing it. As far as weight/size you can conceal any type/weight/size handgun in any type of clothing if you have 1.) A Good Holster 2.) A Good Belt 3.) Good Will Power. Why I'm saying this because I'm 5'4 and 135 pounds. What do I carry. A Full Size M&P40.

These are the places I've carried that normal people might not think they could a full size gun:
    1.) Swimming/water park rides (yes smart carry style under the swim suit and NO shirt on)
    2.) Running
    3.) Boating
    4.) Working under a car (break jobs, oil changes etc.)
    5.) Tubing down a river.

Here is a few videos that will show you how easy it can be. The last one compares Revolver sizes to semi autos. Remember Semi's hold more rounds.

Full Size Handgun Concealability - YouTube
    Concealed Carry for a Female - YouTube
    S&W 442 Review - YouTube

let me know if this helps
    Thank you my friend, I'll check those out.

The compacts are too small for me, I'm not comfortable with the M&P9c in my hand honestly. I held the SR9 and it was solid and I liked it, the 27-2 drew me away though and now I'm torn!

My son has the SR9C and loves the gun. I've shot it a fair amount and I also think its a great gun. I had a decision to make between the SR9C and the LC9 and decided to go with the LC9 because it was just easier for me to carry. I did carry the SR9c for a while and the LC9 was just easier and is my daily carry. I do like the trigger on the SR9C over the LC9 but with practice the LC9 gets better. I will still eventually buy a SR9C to add to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by RC12 View Post
    M&P9c. Then again, I'm biased.

I bought a Nano the other day, not much difference in size than the Shield (which are nowhere to be found locally). On paper there is a size difference between the shield and the 9c, but if concealing is the goal, I'm really not sure you'd find it any harder to conceal the M&P9c over the Shield.
    Even with the extended mag the M&P9c was tiny, and I don't have gigantic hands.

I always think they're average and apparently they're above average, but still. Almost half of my ring finger and my entire pinky don't fit on the grip without the mag extension.

Distinguished Member
    I can only speak to the Shield. I've got one in 40 and I've said this repeatedly so sorry about this in advance. It sits lousy in my hand, the factory sights stink, you can't get after market anything, the trigger is gritty and I absolutely love to shoot it. It shoots like dream. I can't explain it. Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Of the ones you mentioned, I would choose the shield.

If you are a revolver guy looking at semi-autos, you owe it to yourself to look at some other guns;

SIG P250: you buy the fire control unit that can be used with different size frames. It is DAO and has a butter smooth trigger. Kahr: There is the K9 (steel frame) P9 (polymer frame), both DAO with great triggers. Thin and easy to carry.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by highfive View Post
    My son has the SR9C and loves the gun. I've shot it a fair amount and I also think its a great gun. I had a decision to make between the SR9C and the LC9 and decided to go with the LC9 because it was just easier for me to carry. I did carry the SR9c for a while and the LC9 was just easier and is my daily carry. I do like the trigger on the SR9C over the LC9 but with practice the LC9 gets better. I will still eventually buy a SR9C to add to my collection.
    I decided to buy both the SR9c & LC9 at the same time because I liked them both and didn't want to choose just one.

I do prefer the trigger on the SR9c more but the LC9 is so versatile. It disappears IWB and with a Desantis pocket holster it fits nicely in most of my short pockets.

Checkout the new Springfield XDS in 45.

Hard to find this great gun and I pocket carry in a Sticky holster Also have a pm9 Kahr.

The sub compacts and compacts are mostly 2 finger grips. It sounds like even the M&P compact with the finger extension is to small. You won't find a compact that fits your needs. Maybe look for a single stack full size pistol or large compact like the sig 239. None of your 3 choices meet your grip needs.

Guns like the M&P compact can take full size mags (with xgrip for comfort) for range shooting, but you will need to become comfortable with a two finger grip for the compact magazines.

It depends on exactly what the gun will be used for. The SR9C, M&P Shield, & M&P9C are NOT "pocket" pistols and would need to be concealed via IWB or OWB. I have a Ruger LCP (380) and it truely is a pocket pistol (9 oz) and is always with me (that's what counts). When I can, I carry my Ruger SR9C. I love this gun - I haven't shot the M&P Shield or the M&P9C but I can't see how they could possibly be better than the SR9C - but you couldn't go wrong with any of those guns.

The M&P Shield would, naturally, be easier to carry than the SR9C or M&P9C because it's a little lighter and slimmer.

Went to the range today and tried the S&W M&P 9C and the Ruger SR9C. Loved em both but the Ruger seemed to fit my needs and my hand a little better. It was on sale for 399.95 and comes with a 10 mag and a 17 mag. Great shooting little gun. Tight pattern. Yup, bought it and carried it out.... Love it

I have a sr9c as my carry. Really like the gun. Great trigger. The gun is very accurate. I have a bit of a hard time concealing it and it is a bit heavy for me but I don't like the recoil on smaller/lighter guns. I don't think this would be a problem for anyone with a bigger hand than mine. I have at about 1,000 rounds through it and it takes anything I feed it without problem.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

If a m&p9c was too small why even consider a smaller slimmer version? I have a shield in 9mm and is my most happy purchase to date other than my AR15.

Love my shield
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links