SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c?

This is a discussion on SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some time before I make a purchase and I'm going to handle different guns and see what feels best, just looking for overall ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c?

SR9c, M&P Shield or M&P9c?

I have some time before I make a purchase and I'm going to handle different guns and see what feels best, just looking for overall opinions.

I know a lot of people are fond of Glocks, but to be honest I'm not. Just never liked the boxy look, and even though I've only shot the G22 I wasn't sold on it.

Even though I'm asking for opinions I almost feel the same way about M&P's full sized line. My friend's Coastie brother got an M&P .40 and I wasn't in love with the feel. I want a 9mm for carry/economics of the cheap ammo but deep down, I'm a revolver guy.

I only got my LTC this year and my first purchase was a S&W Model 10-5, it was cheap and I love old school guns. I'm young but I've always liked the look and feel of revolvers/bolt actions/lever actions and such. My true love was the S&W 686 which I thankfully was able to shoot .357 and .38spl in before S&W shut down their range.

Where I live there isn't a lot of places to "test" guns unless you know someone, no shops have a range either. There is one in New Hampshire but it's 2 hours away from me sadly.

So any overall opinions are welcomed. I'm leaning towards the SR9c, but haven't handled it so that could change easily.

2. Remove Ads

I like the M&P line a lot, but eventhe compacts were too big for my carry purposes. I wanted something for summer carry where it'd disappear under even just a Tshirt. The shield fits that need perfectly. It comes with the added benefit of a great trigger and safety. Winter isn't an issue since heavier clothing will easily cover larger framed pistols.

I love my SR9c. Fits my hands perfectly and the trigger is outstanding. I would try to find somewhere that rents the ones you are looking at so you can try them out first.
    stancehold likes this.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

I'm going to say go with the SR9c. I absolutely live mine. Just shot it back to back with my full size M&P9 and I managed to shoot a tighter group with the smaller gun. The factory trigger feels much better than the smith. Less take-up and a lighter pull. The smith does have a more crisp break and a slightly shorter reset but the heavier pull makes it harder to shoot then the ruger, at least for me. It also never really fit my hand that well regardless of which blackstrap i was using. I haven't held or shot a shield so I won't comment on those but if it has the same trigger I would still say go with the ruger.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

Welcome aboard. I'm a fan of the M&P line, and I really don't think you can go wrong with M&P 9c, but only if you like it. Otherwise, as you said, try as many different guns as you can and see what fits your tastes.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

either the sr9c or the m&p9c gets my vote,i slightly favor the s&w though only because the Ruger does not offer the sr9c without the thumb safety...

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    either the sr9c or the m&p9c gets my vote,only wish Ruger sr9c had the option of no thumb safety...
    Just don't use it. I don't. Nothing saying you have to use the safety. It's nice to have it there as an option in case you feel a need for that extra level of safety against an accidental or negligent discharge.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

+1 to the Ruger!
    stancehold likes this.
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal1911 View Post
    Just don't use it. I don't. Nothing saying you have to use the safety. It's nice to have it there as an option in case you feel a need for that extra level of safety against an accidental or negligent discharge.
    its not a matter of using it or not using it,its the possibilty the safety could be unknowningly be turned on at the absolute worst time.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    its not a matter of using it or not using it,its the possibilty the safety could be unknowningly be turned on at the absolute worst time.

Thats why I always train using it. Just in the off chance that it does happen to become engaged.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

SR9c was my primary until I got my 1911. Now it's my backup.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

My grandfather, father and uncle were all line workers at S&W and I'm even inheriting a special S&W ring they only gave to employees, and don't make anymore. Apparently employees get guns now! I know they get a 50% discount, but that's 50% off of S&W's insanely high retail prices.

I've seen the 686 in stores for 600 bucks, but S&W charges almost 900 for it.

My problem is I like big heavy revolvers, obviously I can have both but the income level only allows for one at a time! A honking .357 revolver is my favorite, but the ammo isn't cheap. My .38 ammo is about 15 dollars a box but that's for the cheap Blazer stuff.

So back to the 9mm, it was either that or a .22, like the SR22 or the M&P22 specifically for plinking and dirt cheap ammo. I'll need a .22 eventually for that reason, but like most of us I want one of everything!

I want to get to the range that rents in NH, it's a hell of a drive but it rents out anything they have but you also need to buy their ammo. S&W did rent like I said, but a felon apparently got away with renting guns and they shut down to put new rules in place (likely members only :( ). It's a bummer because you could pay for the range time, rent a gun you couldn't try otherwise and go shooting.

SR9c fan here. Small enough to conceal easily, big enough to shoot effectively. But between the options you give, it's a totally subjective jump-ball. Enjoy your pick & practice (practice, practice...)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Shield FTW...

x2!

ironmike86 and Keech like this.

I absolutely love the Shield for hot summer carry. But I can carry the Shield, the SR9C or the M&P 9C interchangeably. I happen to feel most comfortable with grip angle on the M&Ps the most.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links