Defensive Carry banner

IO Hellcat Owners?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Pilotlj 
#1 ·
I currently wear a CZ-82 as my EDC.

Sometimes, I'd like to dress a little lighter; it's relatively compact for a 13 round double-stack, but heavy and the grip is quite bulky.

My wife owns a LC-9 I bought for her, which we really like...but I think I want even smaller ...so I'm in the .380 camp for when I can't carry the CZ.

LCP is an obvious choice, as is the PF-9.

But I'm intrigued by the IO Hellcat, did a search here and didn't turn up anything recent.

Please...I know I can buy the LCP and get a "known" quantity..but for $100 less (Hellcat at $200, incl shipping) it's enough of a difference to justify checking it out.

If you own one, or have shot one, I'd be interested in hearing your comments.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Keltec p3at is $227-$237 through Bud's, and it's the original design both Ruger and IO copied to make the Hellcat. I've owned two without any issues.

Why get a cheap copy(Hellcat), when you can get the original?

If you really can't come up with the extra $ to get a Keltec or Ruger LCP, I would at least LOOK INTO the Taurus TCP(can be had for $199 through Buds.). I know there are alot of Taurus haters here that will probable talk you out of this. (Despite plenty of positive reviews on the TCP.)

#3 ·
Never said it was a matter of being able to afford it...
It's a matter of whether there's a justifiable reason to spend the extra dough.
Actually, Buds only sells the P-3at in blued for $265...unless, of course, you're a VIP member...but like I said, it ain't about the dough.

I was really intrigued by the Diamondback, but too many negative reviews. I haven't seen any negative reviews on this pistol (and I searched) other than a comment about needing high performance for best function which I'd expect in a lightweight like this.

Not looking for someone to tell me not to buy a "rip-off", I'm looking for comments from individuals that have experience with the weapon.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Has nothing to do with being a "rip-off", has to do with a product that has been on the market longer and has a more solid reputation and warranty. Your OP mentioned the IO Hellcat as an alternative to the Ruger LCP, was suggesting another altnative. Choices are good. I handled a DiamondBack at the LGS, wasn't horribly impressed with it. I can see why it sells, I just prefer to trust something a little more proven.

Kel-Tec P3AT - The World’s Lightest .380 Auto Pistol

Jeff Quinn actually carried the KT p32 (the p3at's little brother) for years. So clearly he likes KT too.

Just saying.

I currently carry a Ruger Lc9, so don't mistake me for a KT fan-boy or something.

It seems the Ruger LCP sells so many versions because the fit&finish are nicer than the KT (and presumably the IO) and people often view fit&finish as overall quality. Also because its "Ruger", a trusted brand. Fit&Finish itself don't stop a threat.

I haven't owned an IO, but I have owned 2 KTs and know several folks who love their LCP's.

Good luck with whatever you purchase. I moved away from a .380ACP to a small 9MM and haven't looked back. It isn't THAT much larger or harder to conceal, but offers more "stopping power" .

If you decide on the IO Hellcat, post a range report and let us know how it does and what you think of it.:bier:

#4 ·
Jeff Quinn review was favorable...

I have no personal experience with this gun, so I did a Google search to find out what I could. I came up with this review by Jeff Quinn of Gunblast, an online gun review website:

New Hellcat 380 ACP Pocket Auto from I.O., Inc.

I read the review and Quinn, who has a good reputation, was favorable on the gun. He tested it with a variety of ammunition and had no problems with it. It does look like a bargain at the price you quoted.

#5 ·
Thanks.
I had never heard of the gun until I saw it featured on an episode of "Guns 'N Ammo" a few weeks ago.
They talked it up big time, but since I never really expect objectivity on shows like that I didn't attach a lot of cred to it...

There's not a lot I can find, but what I did, was mostly positive- except for extractor issues which seem to have been solved. Their warranty is also not up to Ruger or Kel-Tec, but I'm still interested.

#7 ·
Thanks, all good. As I mentioned above, the warranty is a consideration.
I'm with ya on proven reliability for a SD weapon, it's obviously got to go "bang" each and every time you pull the trigger...that's why I like my CZ...it has never, ever, failed to fire or extract, no matter what it's been fed.

But, this one's been around for a little while now; and sometimes ya gotta give the "new guys" a chance...you never know, they might be onto something...

The free shipping expires tomorrow on the pistol, so I'm really tempted...I mean, at $200, there's not a lot at stake.

It's not like dropping $750 and then finding out you don't like it for one reason or another.

#8 ·
Im sure a few people own one, but i cant imagine somebody actually using it for EDC. I test fired one a few weeks ago. The worst thing about it was having to fully reset the trigger after each shot. Set it down after the magazine was empty. Pulled the trigger a few extra times. The slide doesnt catch when the magazine is empty.

#11 ·
I'll know soon enough

I also did a lot of research as I wanted a backup for my G39, or as a primary when clothing dictated something small. Unlike most, I respect the .380 round and feel that if with 6 shots you can't get yourself out of a pickle, you're truly S.O.L. I had planned on the Ruger LCP because I am a HUGE Ruger fan, but the Hellcat really intrigues me. After seeing what is out there I went ahead and purchased a Hellcat Gen2 that I pick up Tues. I will try to post my thoughts after I get back from the range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.