self defense vs 'tactical'? what are your thoughts?

This is a discussion on self defense vs 'tactical'? what are your thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ArmyMan Changes nothing I said. No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry. Chill out Francis..I was not trying to change anyone's opinion. Just commenting ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: self defense vs 'tactical'? what are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Changes nothing I said.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.
    Chill out Francis..I was not trying to change anyone's opinion. Just commenting on yours in general. I did say to a certain extent...I do agree to a certain extent that there are situations when hiding guns is not a good idea.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Tactical" is no more than a buzz word anymore. That's why I carry thermonuclear hand grenades--I'm going strategic!

(Take out the BG AND his whole Hood!)
    Any recommendations on a good pair of strategic pants or a vest?
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    IMO the word tactical is one of the most (if not the most) overused terms in the defensive community. You have tactical guns, tactical knives, tactical flashlights, tactical clothing, tactical pens. I'm sure someone markets tactical toilet paper and tactical bubble gum. Just think how the people at BIC could increase their lighter sales if they started marketing a tactical lighter! Rumor has it Budweiser is going to introduce a tactical beer.
    Those were exactly my thoughts as well. The tactics I employ are engrained in me by training and practice, not in the type of firearm or other equipment I carry.

AR-15 vs Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle

One's "tactical", the other, not so much.

Will it make any difference to the bad guy on the receiving end?
    Last edited by sdprof; September 17th, 2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Agreed: "tactical" is over-used, wrongly used, and has become a marketing tactic for use on those lacking the training to properly assess their needs; which means the majority.

I think we need to remember exactly what these terms mean before we can make any decisions regarding relative merit of weapons.

Strategy is the overall plan or approach to a problem.

Tactics are the method of implementing that plan.

Firearms are tools.

With this in mind, tactics, and to a lesser extent, Strategy, are of necessity determined by the tools available to do the job that needs doing. A fighter armed with a single shot weapon must employ tactics that relay more heavily on secondary (back-up) arms such as knives, clubs and tomahawks. He will also endorse the strategy of maintaining a stand-off distance that gives time for reloading. If other members of his force are armed in like manner, the strategy of alternating fire might be employed.

So, the tools determine the tactics available to a defender. A lone defender with a single shot weapon may be able to deny passage of the invader. If your killing zone is too short you may not have time to reload before being rushed by the Bad Guys. Multiple bad guys makes this even more important. Thus, the reliance on fall-back weapons such as knives or clubs for hand-to-hand combat.

As a side note, I believe that multiple BGs may have more determination than a lone invader as they have the ability to bolster each others morale. This would probably apply more to the experienced types than the young punk wanna-be. However, I believe it bad strategy to relay on the BGs giving up at the first sign of resistance.

So, what it comes down to is options. Greater firepower means less reloading and less time spent reloading. You still need to identify your target and the ability to attach a light allows the use of your other hand for something other than holding a flashlight. I'm sure you can think of other benefits I've left out.

I would want nothing less than a double-barrelled shotgun; no single shot arms for home invasion. I would not feel terribly handicapped by my wifes 30-30 lever gun, But I would want a back-up gun rather than try a slow reload.

If I were limited to a single shot firearm, I would think long and hard about my strategy for home defense to compensate for my limitations. In fact, we should all be thinking long and hard about it anyway.

Bottom line, while tool options are useful, ultimately it's the individual, not the tool that matters.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Agreed, the buzz word these days does seem to be “tactical” (tactical this and tactical that). Go on eBay and look up "Tactical DVD". You’ll see everything from “Tactical Soccer” to “Tactical Pan Fishing”.

Everywhere I go people see my truck and ask, “What is tactical shooting?”

So, this is what I tell them:

Tactics: Any maneuvers used to gain advantage or success (taken from my old the Random House College Dictionary).

Tactical Shooting: Using tactical maneuvers combined with modern shooting techniques to survive lethal encounters (my definition).
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Sadly, I believe the word tactical has become more about form than function. It's all about the "look" now.
    Secret Spuk and bmcgilvray like this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Originally Posted by ArmyMan
    A few thoughts:

Whereas you leave uatended firearms around your home, if a soldier did this around the barracks he would be court-martled.

I'm of the firm opinion that leaving guns laying around, even if hidden, is grose negligence and should never ever be don. The firearm should either be on your person or unloaded and locked away.
    My defense weapons are loaded the rest are kept unloaded in a locked home. That should be good enough.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; September 17th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    IMO the word tactical is one of the most (if not the most) overused terms in the defensive community. You have tactical guns, tactical knives, tactical flashlights, tactical clothing, tactical pens. I'm sure someone markets tactical toilet paper and tactical bubble gum. Just think how the people at BIC could increase their lighter sales if they started marketing a tactical lighter! Rumor has it Budweiser is going to introduce a tactical beer.
    Well at least zombie stuff is taking over. There is lots of stuff thats zombie green instead of black now. They even have an LC9 with zombie scribbled on the slide and it comes with a lasermax laser painted green. Not to mention zombie duracoat or zombiemax ammo.

Frankly, Im sick of zombie stuff now. "Tactical" may be a wrongly used term for marketing but at least some of the stuff has practical use. Real "zombie guns" make us look like a bunch of 12 year olds, in my opinion. Im ganna put my foil hat on here for a second and point out that zombie guns and zombie accessories look like toys, only a matter of time before some kid gets hurt and antis start crying.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Distinguished Member
    Self Defense: Actions taken to prevent injury to one's self from an aggressive individual or hazardous situation.
    Tactical Actions: Actions that employ available means and/or resources to accomplish a desired outcome.
    Tactical Widget: A widget available in Black, Coyote or FDE.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    Suntzu how dare you endanger everyone by having loaded firearms hidden in your house.

If needed I will issue you a memo so you can keep them there without the feeling of guilt you must be going through.

Sorry almost forgot what I was gonna post I was in such a state of bewilderment at suntzu's actions.

A gun is a tool no matter what that tool is. There was a time in history that large club along with the smaller stick was the tactical weapon of choice. Science simply let us improve on the weapons of choice throughout time.

You do not have to have an AR to defend your home. You do not have to have a 33 round magazine loaded into your Glock to defend yourself with but fortunately we have the ability to make and have choices in life. A vespa will get you to work but I assure you a Harley is a hell of a lot more fun.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Tactical is a word manufacturers put in front of the product so they can mark it up another 20%. for defense reliability is what first come in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Tactical is a word manufacturers put in front of the product so they can mark it up another 20%. for defense reliability is what first come in mind.
    What?! These tactical socks I bought won't help me shoot better or sneak up on bad guys?! What a waste of money! But, it said "tactical"!!
    Secret Spuk and Poseidon like this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Any recommendations on a good pair of strategic pants or a vest?
    Something lead-lined but doesn't hamper your "duck and cover" routine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Well, if a good definition of "Tactical" are products that were originally intended for our Military and Law Enforcement use then civilians have benefited greatly when they were made available to the general buying public.

Are they all absolute necessities? No, of course not. But, THANKS! to items designated as tactical that truly are tactical we now have great rail systems and "state of the art" weapon mountable lights and optics etc.

We always benefit in many ways from items that originated for MIL use. AKA GPS and Satellite phones and shock proof computers and more portable electronics and better sleeping bags and boots and the list goes on & on.

Is the word "tactical" much overused? For certain it is.

Is a 30/30 lever action rifle still suitable for home defense? Absolutely. What about that that COLT Dick Special that you mentioned? Absolutely it is still viable for home & self defense.

So does anybody really need a super tricked out and loaded AR?

Maybe they feel that they do. Possibly they just want a weapon platform that they are already intimately familiar and comfortable with.

And then this being America let them add to it what they will in order to best tailor it to themselves.

In short DO NOT buy (or not buy) things because they are called "tactical" but, if there are items that ARE Tactical (or are named tactical) and are high quality and well built of great materials that you feel that you have a genuine use for then Go For It.

There are hundreds of gear related items originally developed for MIL apps that manufacturers have then "deemed tactical" for advertising purposes when they became available for civilian purchase.

An item can still be a great worthwhile item even if you don't like the fact that the maker decided to call it a Tactical something or other.

Rightly or wrongly that was a business/advertising decision that they made. Many of those items are highly suitable for civilian camping, hunting, hiking, caving, climbing etc etc etc.

We are fortunate in this country to have such a diverse amount of "stuff" to pick and choose from.

The TRICK is having the ability to sort out the GEMS from the JUNQUE. If you can do that you'll be in great shape for many civilian type scenarios.

As usual...just my personal opinion...feel free to agree or disagree.

And.....BTW there really is Tactical Toilet Paper and it's even available in Digital Camouflage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    With regard to TACTICAL Socks - There actually are socks that were developed for the Military that are breathable Gore-Tex and are 100% waterproof and so if you are a hunter or a wilderness camper...you might find a good use for those Tactical Socks.
    Hoganbeg and Geronimo45 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links