Non striker-fired carry

This is a discussion on Non striker-fired carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks. I'm going to go to the gun shop this week and take a good look around. I do like fn products. Hopefully they will ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Non striker-fired carry

Thanks. I'm going to go to the gun shop this week and take a good look around. I do like fn products. Hopefully they will have something easily concealable.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would look at the S&W 6906/6904 3rd. gen semi-auto 9mm.
    They are hammer fired, and have a decocker.
    12 round mag.
    Perfect size for concealed carry.
    About the same size as a glcok G19 or a S&W M&P compact.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Why is a 1911 out of the question?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Personally, my present hammer-fired options are SIG P229, which is my personally-owned duty pistol, a 1911, and quite a few revolvers. My past hammer-fired auto-pistols, that I really liked, included the S&W Models 3913 and 3953, which are quite handily small, and a SIG P220.

Some striker-fired pistols can easily be made to have heavier triggers, an obvious example being the NY-1 and NY-2 trigger return springs available for Glocks. I may well install an NY-1 in my new-to-me G17, to make it more like my SIG DAK and my DA revolvers, as well as to make detail-stripping go a little faster. Of course, this does not increase the length of the trigger stroke, just the pull weight.

PF9, LC9, P11 are some cheap polymer hammer fired DAO options. love the P239 but too big and heavy for its minimal capacity IMO. comfortable to shoot though. CZ Rami is a sweet DA/SA and it's metal framed. relatively small but still decent capacity. super comfortable to shoot. the best small da/sa semi auto in my opinion is the P2000sk. but it's polymer also.

I carry a Beretta PX4 9mm and my wife carries a Bersa Thunder 380. We like both guns a lot and would strongly recommend either.
    Last edited by Smilinswordsman; September 16th, 2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Spelling errors annoy me.

I went from an XD to an S&W 3963. Great gun and super slim. Some guys have trouble with a dao trigger though..ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347844419.296656.jpg

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    While reading you post I thought of the same gun Brad recommended, the P239. You are already used to the Sig DA/SA pull and the mechanics of the decocker. The P239 is slimmer and lighter than your P220 as well.

Now that said I frequently carry a Sig P229, a gun closer in size to your P220, albeit thicker, so you could carry the P220 with the propper rig if you dress around the gun. I prefer a fighting sized CCW over the currently popular hideout guns, but admit I do have to work harder to stay discreet.
    I agree, especially since I've been on a "personal campaign" to CC a full-sized gun. Using a Kangaroo Carry I can easily conceal a sig 229 SAS. I believe I could do the same with a 220 without much effort.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Well, I went to the store today and did not see a 239, but I did take a look a look at the judge. What are your recommendations on the judge/governor? I've never shot one or heard of anyone carrying it, but I think 6 shots of .410 buckshot will stop just about anyone, but I am new to carry. I also took a look at the walther ppk/s just because I've always thought they were great looking pistols and possibly a good collectible. Too bad they didn't make it in 9mm, but I've seen some ballistic videos with defensive .380 ammo and was a little impressed. I've been trying to find a px4 storm to feel, but no luck yet. I still love sigs though, and if they all shoot as good as the 220 I could put a bullet between someones eyes at 15 yrds, but I guess every gun is accurate, it just depends on the shooter/experience with the weapon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpinsuited View Post
    Well, I went to the store today and did not see a 239, but I did take a look a look at the judge. What are your recommendations on the judge/governor? I've never shot one or heard of anyone carrying it, but I think 6 shots of .410 buckshot will stop just about anyone, but I am new to carry. I also took a look at the walther ppk/s just because I've always thought they were great looking pistols and possibly a good collectible. Too bad they didn't make it in 9mm, but I've seen some ballistic videos with defensive .380 ammo and was a little impressed. I've been trying to find a px4 storm to feel, but no luck yet. I still love sigs though, and if they all shoot as good as the 220 I could put a bullet between someones eyes at 15 yrds, but I guess every gun is accurate, it just depends on the shooter/experience with the weapon.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you are over-thinking this. You wanted more rounds, you are not accurate with Glocks, now you are thinking of a big ole Judge. Rent some guns at the range. Find one with which you are most comfortable. Then practice practice practice. If you do that, you won't make a wrong decision.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    A .410 out of a short barreled revolver is a joke for SD at best and at worst a liability. The concept was debunked shortly after they hit the market and you should be able to find plenty of evidence with a google search.

Non striker fired carry. Hmm...

I carry:

A Sig Sauer P238.

A Smith and Wesson Model 13:

A Colt Commander 1911:

A Smith and Wesson 637 (under the Model 13 back when it had rubber grips):

And I'll end with the Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, but there are others.

Any of these should make you quite happy. All of them are metal framed, too.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Here's your new gun.

Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. Didn't really do a detailed google search of it. That's a nice collection 380acp, dig the grips. That emp is awesome, but I might have to sell a couple of guns in order to get it ha. I think I am going to get another sig. Will post pictures soon when I make my decision.

I usually carry a Sig P230 which is hammer fired with a decocker or a KelTec 32 which is double action only. The S&W snub is not a bad gun to carry loaded up with .38 special +P. If you are comfortable with shooting the Smith, I would stick with it. Capacity is a secondary concern IMO as long as you are proficient with the gun, and can lay down one or two accurate shots. Best advice I can give is to practice, practice, practice with whatever gun you plan to carry....and have fun doing it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links