Non striker-fired carry - Page 3

Non striker-fired carry

This is a discussion on Non striker-fired carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you could get over the polymer thing, I would suggest the HK P2000SK. It is easy to conceal, shoots great and is hammer fired ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Non striker-fired carry

If you could get over the polymer thing, I would suggest the HK P2000SK. It is easy to conceal, shoots great and is hammer fired and available in many different configurations (DA/SA with deocker, LEM etc.).

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

When I'm not at work I carry a hammer fired gun. My choice is the CZ75 P-01.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Polymer absorbs recoil and is durable. If you understand how the Glock "safe action" works, it's pretty safe in my opinion. I carry a S&W .357 most of the time - all steel, heavy as a mother and a fire-breathing dragon of handguns.
    Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen.
    -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by kingpinsuited View Post
    I know a lot of people are moving toward striker fired pistols, but they just seem to not be safe to me. I don't want to get it because of the fact it is polymer framed. Am I just being unreasonable?
    Yes. In the middle ages people probably said the same thing when metal objects began to replace wood objects.

A more modern example that always comes to mind is snowmobile skis. When plastic skis began to come out, everyone said they were going to break, twist, be unsafe, unreliable, etc. Everyone was determined that the metal skis were the only way to go.

You will notice now that there isn't one current production snowmobile with metal skis, and there hasn't been for a while. Plastic skis were found to be superior in every way. Lighter, stronger, more reliable and better performing. IMO, this is the direction the gun market is going. Stick with your metal guns if you want to. Its your choice.

That's a good point, but it seems like all polymer guns are striker fired. I believe the only one mentioned so far was the HK P2000SK that is hammer fired. I think that will be my choice because it can hold 10+ rounds of .40 and is slim enough to conceal easily. Like I said, I'm not against it, I would just like to stick with what I'm familiar with.

... but it seems like all polymer guns are striker fired.
    FNX, FNP, EAA Witness P, CZ P07, HK USP, HK P30, HK P2000, Sig 2022, Beretta PX4, Ruger P95 are all a hammer fired polymer framed handguns. (I'm sure I'm missing a bunch as well).

the technology involved works just fine but you're certainly not the first to not warm to the plastic gun idea. start a clock though. you'll come over to the dark side eventually. enjoy the gun hunt. its always full of second guesses. the only way to be sure you get the right one is to buy them all!

I bought a p220 around January, but that was just for target/fun before I thought of carrying. It is just to big to carry all the time.
    That's a good point, but it seems like all polymer guns are striker fired. I believe the only one mentioned so far was the HK P2000SK that is hammer fired. I think that will be my choice ...
    Of the compact pistols mentioned so far, the H&K P2000SK and the CZ 2075 RAMI P are both polymer-framed pistols that are hammer-fired.

I've shot both and have the P2000SK. Either would be an excellent choice for a reasonably compact, polymer-framed, hammer-fired, double-stack carry pistol.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    Man, ain't nothing wrong with carrying that 66 snub that you have!Here is the one I used to carry:

Here is my newest carry gun, a Sig P220 Compact SAS. Some people have mentioned the Sig P239, but the 220 Compact is actually shorter grip, and easy to carry.

I might just buy some speed strips and put them in my back pocket, and practice reloading with them and stick with the 66 if you think it is a good option. I will have to get those houge grips if I do decide to carry consistently. Those .357 mags in a 2.5" are on the verge of uncontrolable while shooting quickly with stock grips. I really want to get my dad his dream gun; a uberti .357 lever action for Christmas, so I might just do that instead of buying another gun for myself.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links