Non striker-fired carry

Non striker-fired carry

This is a discussion on Non striker-fired carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post, so I would like to say hello to everyone. I just recently got my ccp, and the only weapon I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Non striker-fired carry

Non striker-fired carry

This is my first post, so I would like to say hello to everyone. I just recently got my ccp, and the only weapon I feel comfortable carrying is my snub smith 66 .357. Its a good caliber, but only holds 6 rounds. So, I am in the market for a new concealable gun. I bought a p220 around January, but that was just for target/fun before I thought of carrying. It is just to big to carry all the time. I know a lot of people are moving toward striker fired pistols, but they just seem to not be safe to me. I have shot a couple of glocks, but I am not very accurate with them. I think it is because of the trigger, but it is probably just me. I was looking at the ppq in .40, and if I got a striker fired it would be it, but I don't want to get it because of the fact it is polymer framed. Am I just being unreasonable?

I guess what I am trying to get to is, if you were to choose a non striker fired pistol for carry, what would it be? I can work with a 9mm if the capacity is good, but just looking for another opinion because I don't really have the opportunity to shoot at ranges and rent guns due to the fact that I live in the "sticks." But any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kingpin

I would say this, while not trying to convince you you could get used to Glocks or other strilker-fired weapons:

1. You can get used to carrying the P220 with some time (I carried one for forever).
    2. Sig P239 is a good hammer-fired gun that might compliment your P220.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Ummm...1911?

(search completed)
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

lots of rounds in your carry gun is nice, but not necessary. when i carry my S&W 66/2.5", i carry 3 or 4 speedloaders of spare ammo.

i can and do carry a Sig P-220, and i don't consider it too big for me (5'7", 150 pounds)

to answer your question: lots of rounds in a hammer fired gun that's smaller than a P-220? Sig P-228 or P-229 in 9mm (13+1). P-229 in .40 or .357SIG (12+1), CZ 75 Compact (15? +1), H&K P-30, Sig 2022, FN FNC or FNX.

If you like the da/sa triggers of your Sig, you could stay with the Sigs and go to a 228, 239, or p6/225. You could get into a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9 (slightly smaller than the 228 with the same 13 round capacity). 3rd gen S&W semi's are a great choice also.

and on

and on

and on
    BurgerBoy likes this.

What's wrong with striker fired guns? What's wrong with polymer guns? Both of these things are great characteristics of a carry gun.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    While reading you post I thought of the same gun Brad recommended, the P239. You are already used to the Sig DA/SA pull and the mechanics of the decocker. The P239 is slimmer and lighter than your P220 as well.

Now that said I frequently carry a Sig P229, a gun closer in size to your P220, albeit thicker, so you could carry the P220 with the propper rig if you dress around the gun. I prefer a fighting sized CCW over the currently popular hideout guns, but admit I do have to work harder to stay discreet.

Just what is your objection to striker-fired guns? Or polymer-framed guns? Both have proven themselves for years now. Typically, modern striker-fired guns partially "cock" the firing pin, but leave the final cocking to the trigger stroke. That way, there is not enough stored energy behind the firing pin to fire a primer until the finger completes the "cocking" action. In addition, certain Smith & Wesson M&Ps and the Springfield XDs offer external safeties which might give you the security you desire.

For 'traditional' hammer-fired guns, the classics are of course the 1911 and Browning Hi-Power. Then there are the Sigs, but typically those are on the wide side, (I've carried a 220, but only in an OWB rig; I much prefer the flatness of the 1911 for IWB), plus Rugers, H&Ks, and a personal favorite, the CZ75 and its variants.
    Doodle likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You know I have thought of that. Maybe even trading in for a 226 carry or that 239. I am surprised that I have never heard of the 239. It's not the prettiest gun ever, but I have enough of those lol. Unfortunately, my frame will not let me conceal easily. I have learned that its not the barrel length that makes the gun show, but the grip, and that compromises capacity and the 239 only holds 7+1. Better than 6 I guess. A 1911 is out of the question. I would just carry the 220, but thanks for the response.

Oh, and I have no grudge against striker fired weapons. I know they are safe, I just prefer to have a safety/hammer. I hope you can respect my opinion, because it is not against striker fired guns. It is just something I have always grown up with and comfortable with.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

I carry my SIGs all the time. In fact, they are my favorites. I prefer them over my Glocks and M&Ps.

Assuming the gun is in the hands of a guy that can run it safely (that needs to be you), neither design is safer than the other.

Neither design will fire unless directed to. As usual, carry what you want.

Some possibilities, in semi-auto ...

CZ 2075 RAMI in 9mm or .40 with safety, or 9mm with decocker; H&K P2000SK in 9mm, .40 or .357; Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro in 9mm or .40. All 10rds or greater, ~6.5in, DA/SA, although the P2000SK has an option for DAO (LEM) if you prefer.

Kahr might be an option for you: CW9.

A smaller 1911, perhaps: Para Ordnance "carry" pistols; as well as the PXT LDA Carry and variants (CWX79R, CSX89R), since discontinued, but available on auction sites such as GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc.
    tkruf likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you are looking for a hammer fired pistol, excellent specimens abound. In the end, you of course have to be completely comfortable with what you carry. My main advice would be to practice as much as you can with whatever you decide to carry. Familiarity and proficiency with any firearm are more important than the type of gun you carry. I feel just as protected when I carry my little LCR as I do when I have one of my Glocks or 1911s on me.

Give the FN FNX or FNP semi autos a look, and you cant really go wrong with a CZ either.
    Gen 3 G19 ~ Gen 3 G19 OD ~ Gen 3 G34 ~ PT 738 ~ M&P 9mm ~ Ruger 22/45 4" bull barrel ~ Marlin 60~ PSA M4 Carbine ~

Sig P239

The original poster seems to want a hammer fired, non-polymer carry gun in 9mm with reasonable capacity. He already has a Sig P220 that he likes, but it is too large for carry. The gun that comes to mind is the 9mm Sig P239, which meets his requirements, has 8+1 capacity, and is considerably smaller than the Sig P220. I find the P239 to be a slim gun that is easy to conceal. It is pictured below, along with a size comparison the the P220.

Rockymonster likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links