380 ACP vs 38 Special

This is a discussion on 380 ACP vs 38 Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gentlemen you missed the point! The site is set up to help us sort out the unknown, when we turn a question into a caliber ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 380 ACP vs 38 Special

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Gentlemen you missed the point! The site is set up to help us sort out the unknown, when we turn a question into a caliber war within the first 8 replys it doesn't help! All of us would carry a 50AE or Ted's 10mm if we could!

The guy wanted some insight into his lady's first pistol. I personally don't recommend the LCP or LC9 because of the kick, and I won't recommend the LCR because of it stiff trigger. I always start training with a 22LR, but most out there jump to recommending a new shooter start with a 9mm or 40 S & W. I've never lost money on a pistol as I shoot what I buy and when I want to change I sell them.

My point is we should be recommending whatever round his lady can put on target round after round. At 2 yards a 12# trigger pull can put the round (Right Hand Shooter) 3 foot left or a recoil flinch 2 ft left and High! And I don't know many BG who are 6 ft wide! Maybe we should look at the questions and put ourselfs in their place! I know it has taken years with "She who must be Obeyed" to get her were she can shoot her pistol which is a Walther PK380. Which she put shots on target round after round. I have two ladys I've help and they are shooting a 9mm, but again they started out with a 22LR and worked up to what they could shoot confortability with repeated rounds on the 10 spot!

JMHO!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    The lowly .380 doesn't meet the FBI standard for penetration. The .38 Spl does.

That is all.
    Actually, .380 FMJ out of the short barrel of a P3at/LCP exceeds the FBI desired 15 inches - even after first going through 2 layers of denim. You can see tests done at GoldenLoki.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Gentlemen you missed the point! The site is set up to help us sort out the unknown, when we turn a question into a caliber war within the first 8 replys it doesn't help! All of us would carry a 50AE or Ted's 10mm if we could!

The guy wanted some insight into his lady's first pistol. I personally don't recommend the LCP or LC9 because of the kick, and I won't recommend the LCR because of it stiff trigger. I always start training with a 22LR, but most out there jump to recommending a new shooter start with a 9mm or 40 S & W. I've never lost money on a pistol as I shoot what I buy and when I want to change I sell them.

My point is we should be recommending whatever round his lady can put on target round after round. At 2 yards a 12# trigger pull can put the round (Right Hand Shooter) 3 foot left or a recoil flinch 2 ft left and High! And I don't know many BG who are 6 ft wide! Maybe we should look at the questions and put ourselfs in their place! I know it has taken years with "She who must be Obeyed" to get her were she can shoot her pistol which is a Walther PK380. Which she put shots on target round after round. I have two ladys I've help and they are shooting a 9mm, but again they started out with a 22LR and worked up to what they could shoot confortability with repeated rounds on the 10 spot!

JMHO!
    When everyone misses your point, you may want to question how well it was presented. I could have sworn you were comparing the performance of .380 to .38 spl.

Both are good rounds and have their place. I personally like a .38 for a lady, unless they are regular shooters and practice frequently with an autoloader. Hard to argue with the trusty .38 revolver as a concealable and effective defense weapon with a little less of a learning curve from an operational standpoint.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    When everyone misses your point, you may want to question how well it was presented. I could have sworn you were comparing the performance of .380 to .38 spl.
    I was attempting both! Using the comparision as an example of how we get focused on who's is bigger and get deeper penetration.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    The lowly .380 doesn't meet the FBI standard for penetration. The .38 Spl does.

That is all.
    I've watched videos of that magical ballistic jelly where some .45 acp rounds didn't even hit the 10.5 inch mark. Does that mean it should be discounted as a round that doesn't meet the standards? Nobody is saying that the .380 is the end all man stopper, but if you want maximum conceal, its hard to beat. The snubby has always felt awkward in a pocket. Granted my little Taurus 850 totally vanishes like its not there with IWB.

I'm still questioning all the replies that people write beginner women should start off with .38 revolvers, not just this thread but all threads. I am a diehard revolver junky, my whole family shoots, including my 8 yo daughter.

My wife is pretty tough and not a petite little thing and she does not like shooting my 642. She really doesn't like shooting a sp101 in .32 mag either.

My mother, who took the CCW class with us also does not like my smith. She does however tolerate the sp101 to an extent.

My 15 yo son really doesn't like shooting my smith either.

I know it's very hard to please every person of every build but I think it takes the right person to enjoy shooting revolvers. I would recommend a steel heavier snub nose if that's what a lady would like to try. Start them out on something small that they will live to shoot and learn to shoot proficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jjxj View Post
    I'm still questioning all the replies that people write beginner women should start off with .38 revolvers, not just this thread but all threads.
    I wasn't going for the lady(ies) should even look at a revolver as the trigger pull is heavy and the recoil is a problem. However the 38 Special and the 380 ACP are close in ballistics, but most would poop-poop someone recommending the lady starts out with a 380 ACP. If you look at my conclusion, we should recommend what the lady can shoot and put rounds on the target round after round!

I was try to give example of just how fast we go for the Caliber Wars without addressing the main question(s).

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    For "stoping poower" most all handgun calibers suck. .38 special & .380's are close to the bottom.

For a lady really I would think she would have too handle & shoot both, can she cycle the slide? Can she work a double action revolver trigger?

Which type handgun can she conceal on her person the easiest?

Nope, there is no cookie cutter answer.

Either choice would be better than no choice.

If I had to choose one over the other I would go to the .38 Special for a variety of reasons, but none of which would be stopping power. I'll reserve that right to my ability to put the round where it needs to go and in sufficient quantity to stop the threat.

Good thing is, I don't have to choose one over the other, and I feel just as effiective carrying either round in a reliable pistol or revolver.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

.38spl, why?

- Ammo is more available, I hear about .380 shortages

- Seems to be stronger ammo

- Cost is almost identical

Everybody has a preference some like revolvers some like semi autos, I like both of them. Now as to which caliber( 380ACP or 38 S&W Special) I would recommend to a lady or a husband looking to get his wife a PDW , I would say try both platforms out if you can before you decide. I honestly don't like to recommend to new shooters that their first large caliber gun be a small frame revolver or a pocket sized semi auto. The reason being, small framed weapons do have their place on the stage but lots of people don't like to practice with a 12 ounce 38 with +P+ self defense loads or a similarly sized semi auto with similar self defense loads. For all practical purposes these platforms are for someone who already has mastered the basics of shooting and has alot of time behind the sights. After you have learned the basics of shooting (22 long rifle handguns are great trainers) and decide you to make the move to a larger caliber Get a medium size revolver in 38 Special with a 4 inch barrel and the largest auto pistol you can find that is chambered for the 380. practice will be much more productive and you will be able to translate your shooting skills to a small frame revolver or semi auto if you choose to that route. Extremely small, light carry guns are made for carrying much and shooting little, shoot them enough to become familar with the weapon and it's handling and shooting characteristics. This way you have two weapons now a small firearm for CCW and a full size firearm for practice or home defense. The lady in question may even like the full size platform better and decide to carry it instead.

When I had my 642 no one in my family (wife or teenage son & daughter) liked the 642. It's not fun to shoot. It will do the job but if they don't care to practice with it then they won't carry it (of course my kids don't carry yet). My wife will shoot an HK45C all day. But it's too big to carry for her. She is looking into a Sig P238 .380.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

I've taken two whitetail deer with .38 Special revolvers with appropriate loads and broadside body hits to the vitals. I'd be unwilling to make the attempt with any .380 pistol or load.

The .380 ACP is equal to the .38 Special only if one deliberately limits his ammunition choices for the .38 Special.

Only one opinion but both cartridges may now be had in handguns that are too small for truly effective use by someone not willing to train with them. Yet, those same handguns are the ones selling like hotcakes.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links