Which for on duty weapon? - Page 2

Which for on duty weapon?

This is a discussion on Which for on duty weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll probably get a CPO 226 from MacTec if I decide to get one, unless I find a used one locally for a great price. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which for on duty weapon?

I'll probably get a CPO 226 from MacTec if I decide to get one, unless I find a used one locally for a great price. Also, I can easily keep shots with my 220 COM easily.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'm not sure I'd agree with the 9mm debate. Yes its an ok round but most of the officers/agents I work with if given the choice switch to the 45 as soon as they can. If you havent started the acadamy yet, they will put you through alot of training and that would be a great time to learn the ins and outs of the 220. Personall I would suggest you save the money from the 226 you havent purchased yet and buy ammo for the 45 you already own and hit the range. I do not know of a fellow officer/agent who after a shooting went from a 45 to a 9mm, but I know many who went the other way. Just my opinion.

Stephen
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Sammy's right; I have the 220, and carry it frequently, but would be happy to carry the 9mm also. Pick the one that gives you warm fuzzys. No, not her.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

If I find I don't like the 220 during the academy,I can't imagine why, I can always buy the 226 later and qualify with it too. And I have put less than 1K rounds through it, so there is room for improvement. I've started to dry-fire it alot and frequently, which has improved my groupings aswell.

With the Austin PD they allow 9mm, 40, and 45. And only in Glocks, HKs, and Sigs. I don't know what JHP they carry, but I know they do issue ammo. I don't want 40 because I will be buying a 9mm 239 and Rohrbaugh R9 and I want commonality of ammo.

I carry a 9mm 229 on my job. Fine weapon, and I think the bad rap of 9mm is mostly from the military, which uses oldschool, cheap ball ammo. I don't think the ballistics should be of all that much concern with modern ammo...plus, if you can shoot more 9mm and hit, what's the real difference? It's a pistol...no round is actually going to knock someone over from kinetic energy transfer; hell, no rifle round save maybe a .50 is going to do that, and then there might not be too much leftover to knock down anyhow... And no one is going to laugh off a 9mm shot to an area where it matters; conversely, a .45 shot to a non-critical area isn't going to somehow become disabling because of the slightly bigger, faster chunk of metal.

Still, if it was ME, I'd carry the 220. I just like the slimmer profile of the single-stack, for both grip/ergonomics and concealment, and enjoy shooting .45. With 11 rounds total carried in the gun, I'd not feel shortchanged in the ammo capacity dept.

MD

Yep the 220's grip feels great and I will use it off duty for sure. BladeTech makes a quad mag pouch I could use also. It would only be slightly thicker than a double mag pouch for a double stack mags.

But I still want a 239 and R9 for use when dress dictates.

+1 for comfort
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    I will be buying a 9mm 239
    You'll love that!! You'll probably want to think about slapping some Hogue grips on it though. I think mine is great!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    I carry a 9mm 229 on my job. Fine weapon, and I think the bad rap of 9mm is mostly from the military, which uses oldschool, cheap ball ammo. I don't think the ballistics should be of all that much concern with modern ammo...plus, if you can shoot more 9mm and hit, what's the real difference? It's a pistol...no round is actually going to knock someone over from kinetic energy transfer; hell, no rifle round save maybe a .50 is going to do that, and then there might not be too much leftover to knock down anyhow... And no one is going to laugh off a 9mm shot to an area where it matters; conversely, a .45 shot to a non-critical area isn't going to somehow become disabling because of the slightly bigger, slower chunk of metal.

Still, if it was ME, I'd carry the 220. I just like the slimmer profile of the single-stack, for both grip/ergonomics and concealment, and enjoy shooting .45. With 11 rounds total carried in the gun, I'd not feel shortchanged in the ammo capacity dept.

MD
    Fixed!

I carry Sig P226 9mm /Ranger 147 +p

And I also have a p220 for back up if 226 goes down.

Very happy with each, but I like the mag. capacity of the 9mm
    BTW I ccw a Glock 23 when I'm off duty. go figure........
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I'd go with what I shot the best.
    Every time. So long as it cycles/fires 100% and so long as I'm accurate and comforable with it (as an extension of my own hand), that's the one for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

45. If you need a 9mm+P+, it is time to upgrade. If you are pushing a bullet that much higher pressure-wise you might as well get something else. The 45acp will penetrate deeper in bodies more reliably than the 9mm, including the +P+ loads, in real world shootings. It just is. You need a bullet that will get to the vitals. If you are a LEO, you need to think about penetration against barriers. The 9mm tests I have seen have made me steer away from it even more.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I have to fall into the category of shoot what fits best, but practice with the 220 until you are as good or better with it than you are with the 226, go with the big gun.

I would push for the .45 simply because I don't like 9mm, but that's just me.

Administrator
    Ah Oh...here we go again.

9mm - .45 - No...9mm - For Sure .45 - I'd stick w/ the 9 -
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The last thing I want is to start a caliber debate. I like both rounds. And I just put 100 rounds through my 220 and my accuracy is improving.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links