Which for on duty weapon?

This is a discussion on Which for on duty weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seemed like a 9 v 45 from the get-go as you are putting two similar pistols of different calibers against each other. Should I carry ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which for on duty weapon?

Seemed like a 9 v 45 from the get-go as you are putting two similar pistols of different calibers against each other. Should I carry a 9 or a 45? Seems like you are pitting one against the other in your decision making process. I'm just following your lead.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, if you don't care about the caliber, and the weapons are nigh-identical, just go with whichever fits your hand better, and if there's no difference, go with the one with better ammo capacity.

I'm assuming concealment isn't an issue...you're talking on-duty uniformed use, yes?

MD

PS Thx for fixing my post, Sammy...I re-wrote that sentence and obviously didn't proofread...

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    With the Austin PD they allow 9mm, 40, and 45. And only in Glocks, HKs, and Sigs.
    Why don't you go with a Glock 21 or a Glock 34? You can get yourself a BUG (G30 or G26) on a non-dominant side holster that will use the same large capacity duty magazines (13 rounders for the G21 and 17 rounders for the G34) - just in case your primary weapon gets disabled / taken away.

My 2 cents.

I'm only looking at Sigs. I rented a USP and was not impressed. I know they are good weapons, but I much prefer Sigs. Same for Glock. I had a G26 for a year or so and I probably put 2K rounds through it. It was a great gun also, but I still prefer Sigs. As long as I have a choice I will carry a Sig.

I have no preference for either caliber and feel comfortable with both. I know 45acp is more effective, but I feel an modern JHP in 9mm will do the job too. Just wondering if, for an LEO, capacity is more important caliber. The argument would work just as well for 380 vs 40 or 9x18 vs 357Sig (Not the same, I know)

And also the guns are a little different. 220 is stamped slide and the 226 is machined. I will put alot of rounds through this gun over the years and I've heard the 220s have a shorter lifespan. I don't know if it's true or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Yeah, if you don't care about the caliber, and the weapons are nigh-identical, just go with whichever fits your hand better, and if there's no difference, go with the one with better ammo capacity.

I'm assuming concealment isn't an issue...you're talking on-duty uniformed use, yes?

MD

PS Thx for fixing my post, Sammy...I re-wrote that sentence and obviously didn't proofread...
    Had to take my .45 potshot.

Capacity importance - LEO vs. civilian

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    I have no preference for either caliber and feel comfortable with both. I know 45acp is more effective, but I feel an modern JHP in 9mm will do the job too. Just wondering if, for an LEO, capacity is more important caliber.
    I would think that magazine capacity is definitely more important for a LEO than a civilian. A civilian CCW carrier uses his gun strictly for defense, to stop an attack and retreat or disengage if he can, firing the minimum number of shots. He doesn't get to arrest anybody, and isn't allowed to pursue someone who runs away.

A LEO often is on the offensive, to pursue and arrest someone. The LEO is more likely to encounter serious resistance from people who don't want to be arrested, and who want to shoot it out. Sometimes there is more than one shooter opposing the LEO. So I think a LEO is probably going to use more ammo on average than a civilian, and a large magazine (plus large backup magazines) could be a lifesaver for the LEO.

This would seem to tilt the balance toward the 15+1 capacity Sig P226 over the 8+1 capacity P220, if you think the calibers are both effective. And you said you thought they were both effective.

I could carry 3 or 4 mags for the 220 and I can carry 10round mags. Or I could carry 2 15 rounders or maybe 20 rounders.

Anybody know how good the bladetech stuff is. For the 220 I like this:http://www.blade-tech.com/Quad-Mag-P...ps-pr-906.html

It looks like it isn't much thicker than a dual doublestack mag pouch.

Personally, I'd carry the 220. I dont own one, but the few I've shot, I've shot well (after getting past the first triggerpull anyway). I've never shot a 226.

Shot placement comes first. Caliber and capacity are secondary. If you shoot the 226 better, IMO, you should carry it.

I'd pick the 226.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

P.S.

Shot Placement.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Remember that there are Mecgar (Sig OEM) 226 magazines out there that up you to 17+1 in a flush-fit configuration as well.

I own many 9mms. I own a bunch of .45s.

I carry a pair of 9mms. I can shoot accurately under stress, but 9 rounds is 9 rounds. 18 is 18.

When it's twice the capacity in a debatable amount of stopping power difference, and something I can shoot accurately at speed (far better the 45 FWIW in that area), it's no contest.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

A very valid point.

I agree with Thumper............

Both options are Sig. Can't help you here.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

The biggest hole.........

is the best. But only if ya can handle it and it sounds like you can.
    If given a caliber choice, I get the biggest they allow. So, even at reduced round count, I'd take the P220.
    My current gig just authorized .45's but no 'cocked and locked'. So I am looking at the XD .45. Feels pretty good in the hand and has lotsa large projectiles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links