Which for on duty weapon?

This is a discussion on Which for on duty weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which would you prefer to carry on duty? A Sig 226 9mm or a Sig 220 45acp. No 40 or 357 Sig. With the 226 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which for on duty weapon?

Which for on duty weapon?

Which would you prefer to carry on duty? A Sig 226 9mm or a Sig 220 45acp. No 40 or 357 Sig. With the 226 9mm I will have 15 round mags. I could also use 20 round factory mags. And with the 220 I would have 8 round mags and I could also use 10 round factory mags.

I am improving in accuracy with my 220, I suspect the recoil is what hinders my accuracy. And because I've started to get in shape, plus frequent practice, my accuracy has improved. But the best I've ever shot is with a 9mm 226. So which should I go which. Ammo count and accuracy or stopping power and slightly less ammo/accuracy?

2. Remove Ads

I'd go with what I shot the best.

since those are the only 2 choices what ever you shoot the best personally for me it would be the 220 in 45

Assistant Administrator
    Hard decision but - having my EDC as the 9mm with 15+1 (options for 20's) - I would choose that. The gun is so controllable and thus a more efficient rapid fire tool.

OTOH - I like my 220, a lot!!! Perhaps viewing the ''duty'' aspect, the .45 should take top place, once fully mastered.

Finally tho - utilize what you shoot best, as we say so often.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Ditto to SammyIamToday's thought.....

....I think you give up little to nothing in "stopping power" if you go with a 9mm 124-127grain +P or +P+ round over a .45 ACP JHP....and the point's moot if you aren't getting good hits with the .45 anyway.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    The Agency I worked for would let you carry a 9mm, 40S&W or a .45as long as it was a Sig and gave you the choice of a P226, P220 or a P229. It didn't take me a Nu Yok Second to say, a P220 in .45acp please. And I was the officer who worked on the guns in the area I was assigned.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

VIP Member
    I'd vote for the .45 over the 9mm. I have more faith in it's stopping ability.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Accuracy and speed

You said that you shot the best with the 9mm P226. You seemed less confident with the .45 caliber P220, based on my reading of your posting. In that case I'd go with the one you have the most confidence in, the P226. And I'd load all 15+1 rounds in the gun with the Winchester Ranger +P+, which has a muzzle velocity of 1335 fps and muzzle energy of about 450 foot pounds. This is very close to .357 Sig and should serve your purposes well.

Shot-placement is more important then bullet size but you should always use the largest caliber that you can consistantly place a tight grouping.

If you're more confindent with 9mm I would stay with it. It does you little good to have a caliber that you can't place a "follow-up" shot quickly and accurately if necessary.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Well , I think your choice differs from most civilians because of
    your LEO status.

Are you Restricted as to what Type Ammo you can use?

As an LEO you would be Much more likely to need Barrier Penetration,
    AND more rounds available in case of Multiple BGs.

So , I would suggest 9mm if you can use Effective loads.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Lead Moderator
    You can't go wrong of it says SIG! Go with what seems most comfortable to you.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

+ 1

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    You said that you shot the best with the 9mm P226. You seemed less confident with the .45 caliber P220, based on my reading of your posting. In that case I'd go with the one you have the most confidence in, the P226. And I'd load all 15+1 rounds in the gun with the Winchester Ranger +P+, which has a muzzle velocity of 1335 fps and muzzle energy of about 450 foot pounds. This is very close to .357 Sig and should serve your purposes well.

+1 on the Sig P226 with a +P or +P+ Ranger STX or Corbon DPX solid brass slug............................15+1 in the chamber. Hit em square between the eyes, and the gun play is simply "Past Tense"
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

another vote for the 226 in 9mm, with good ammo it will get the job done.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Its not that I have less confidence in the 220. As of right now I am just more accurate with the 9mm 226 I rented over the 45acp 220 that I already own. I am not an officer yet and I will be applying in the next few weeks to Austin, TX PD. It begins in May.

I have no problem with either of the guns. In fact I love them both. The 220 can be very accurate. When I put a few mags of 230 Fed Hydrashok through it I was surprise at the improvement over 230 WWB FMJ. And as I increase my upper body strength and practice more I become more accurate with the 220. There is also the fact that the 220 has 3Dot night sights and the 226 had the "Dot the I" sights. I shoot better with the "Dot the I" sights and that probably had an influence.

I was just wondering what people thought was more important for a Police officer. Caliber or capacity. I figure if I can get better with the 220 I can carry 8+1 in the 220 and carry 10 rounders as spares. I will probably carry 3 spares with the 220 while I'd only carry 2 with the 226.

Administrator
    Even though my preference is for the 220 - Sounds like you're doing better with the "9" so stay with that for duty/carry & shoot the 220 more often on your off days...perhaps you'll eventually like it better.
    The SIG 226 sure won't let you down in a pinch if your shot placement is good.

A GOOD reason to go out & buy a 226 for yourself.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links