Colt Commander LW XSE 1911...Range Report

This is a discussion on Colt Commander LW XSE 1911...Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am here to bash Colt and tell you all how horrible they all are! Ok, I am kidding but here is the range report ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Commander LW XSE 1911...Range Report

Lightbulb Colt Commander LW XSE 1911...Range Report

I am here to bash Colt and tell you all how horrible they all are! Ok, I am kidding but here is the range report from my new Colt Commander LW XSE

Picked up the gun and went to the range immediately. Bought 100 rds of PMC 230 gr FMJ to run through it as a preliminary test of function. I took the slide off of the gun to inspect it, and while it was a bit dry I purposely did not clean it, but inspected it for issue before firing it. If I am horribly wrong and this was dangerous, I would love your (polite) opinions as to why. Loaded it up and fired 50 flawless rounds through it. Awesome. Now I need to preface this by saying that through the helpful insight of many more experienced members here on the DC forum there may be issues as some may call them or things that need to be tweaked. I assumed there could a range of small issues from the magazines having issues to who knows what.

So start on my next 50 round box and the first round fires, then the next round loads and when I attempt to pull the trigger it reacts as if the safety was engaged. So I removed the magazine and fire the round in the chamber. Weird IMO but ok. Insert the same magazine, chamber round, fires fine next round same thing. OK this to me is GOOD! I have found an issue and can (hopefully) fix it! I asked the guys at the range their opinion. They suggested it may be a mag thing so we switched to one of their Chip McCormack mags. Same issue. Next guy tried it, same thing. He oiled it up a bit, tried it, same thing.

Then with the gun ready to fire after the first round he pulled down on the already cocked hammer and fired it fine. Same thing next round, locked up, pulled hammer down, fired, 5 rounds all in the same fashion. Pardon my ignorance of all parts and correct names. The guys suggested the issue was with the 3 prong piece that engages the sear and safeties. Take the gun back to the smith, he said it sounded reasonable, pulled out the 3 prong piece (what is it called?) and the main spring, in the handle. Polished both and sent me back to the range, free of charge. One of many reasons he gets my business.

Got back to the range and fired 65 round flawlessly through it. I love the gun. It is not junk, it is pretty awesome IMO and was a joy to shoot. I went on a bit of a limb as it was my first 1911 and I had never shot one, but figured the hype could not be wrong after 101+ years! I bought this version to carry and plan on adding a full size gvt model in a variety of brands and aspects a GI model etc. ( as soon as I win the lottery) I was not testing the gun for accuracy as much as any potential hiccups but it seemed to shoot on par with my (lack of) ability. I limp wristed it, offhand shot it and did as much as I could in 50 or so rounds to get it to malfunction and it was just fine. Now 65 rounds of fmj doesnt get it my nod of total approval for carry but I am quite happy with the gun.

Notes: Man talk about muzzle flash. I did not notice it as much shooting with one eye but both eyes open it was quite obvious in a semi well light range. Is this ammo, gun, round, all of the above?
    My hands were pretty dirty on either side of the beaver tail. Is this normal?
    I see what all of the hype about the single action trigger is, especially after shooting an LC9.
    The .45 has much more of push vs the XD .40 I have which flips the muzzle up quite a bit. The aluminum slide making it lighter obviously allows for more muzzle rise, but not to the point that I am concerned with reacquiring the target.

Sorry for the long post and thanks to all of those that have helped in the process.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Three pronged spring thingy is the sear spring. Sounds like the sear wasn't resetting. An odd problem for sure. I am glad you got it worked out pretty painlessly. Nice blaster too !
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Colt Commander LW XSE 1911

^^^^^^^^^What we have here^^^^^^^

Is a blatent and obvious attempt at being a wisenheimer.

I would have cleaned at least the slide and barrel prior to shooting just in case there was a sliver or fragmentation of metal stuck in there.
    It may have caused you some grief,

Glad you are happy, with a Colt I hear unhappiness is unlikely.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Yes oneshot, I was using my advertising skills, after hearing the stories of all these people with one little issue and then bashing a great product. As I stated in the op thankfully I did my due dilligence and was able, with the help of y'all, to be ready and more than willing for any and all conceivable issues.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Glad to hear all went well with your Colt LOL. Heyy if you ever want to get rid of that piece of junk I'm sure willing to place it along side of my many junky Colt 1911 guns....Just can't give you a lot of $$$ cuz it's such a piece of junk hehehehehehe <JK>
    Shoot the snot out of it and enjoy
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Your first 1911 and its a Colt and you love it and thats an old story one thats been told for over a century !

Congrats & Have Fun with your new gun!

I carry a Colt XSE ss Commander every day,and it's not the LW model,I figure with 25 rounds of 230 grn Speer Gold Dot other than a small war I can handle any SD situation that pops up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Congrats on getting your Colt! I hope it serves you well.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Congrats on your new gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've had Combat Commander XSE for several years. It's been a very fine handgun with both fmj and some jhp ammo.

The 3.5 lb trigger is great.

[IMG][/IMG]
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Colt has been making 1911s for a long long time. Who would have thought they actually work!

You folks with the commander xse have any issues with certain jhp defense rounds?
    BigJon

you take a brand new gun to the range, proceed to shoot it without cleaning it, or more importantly, lubing it. IMO you got what you deserved. it may be hard for you to trust the gun to save your life (i don't know your psychology, of course), but WHY wouldn't you give such a tool every possible chance to function correctly from the start?

my last gun got field-stripped, wiped, and generously lubed before i fired it the first time. zero malfunctions.

Ross Seyfried, the last World IPSC Champion using a non-tricked out 5" 1911, once said, "the 1911 will run dirty, but it won't run dry." considering he fired over 100,000 rounds a year when he was training, i figure he should know.

Goodness, apparently you failed to read the whole post...
    BigJon

The slide-thingy-ma-jiggy is actually steel. The handle thingy-ma-jiggy is aluminum. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links