Tell me about your out of the box lemons - Page 2

Tell me about your out of the box lemons

This is a discussion on Tell me about your out of the box lemons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back when the Smith and Wesson SW9M's came out (small, ccw 9mm Sigma) I bought one from the LGS and between the FTE's and FTF's ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tell me about your out of the box lemons

Back when the Smith and Wesson SW9M's came out (small, ccw 9mm Sigma) I bought one from the LGS and between the FTE's and FTF's and sending it back to Smith 3 times with no positive results, the LGS owner let me trade it back in at full new-gun value toward a Smith and Wesson 642. Great trade.
    '
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Cw45 from kahr...that gun wouldn't go 3 rounds without some various malfunction. And before anyone throws out the "limp wristing" response....no, that wasn't the problem. Sold it as a lemon (full disclosure) and took a healthy loss on it.

sent via iCarry

Kimber Ultra Carry had constant FTF issues with multiple ammo and various mags.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Diamondback 9mm. I had so many Double feeds, FTF, and FTE that I couldn't keep count. I finally traded it for Glock 26.

My Rock Island Armory 1911 GI model had constant nosedives, even with ball ammo.

Changed mags, had it "tuned up" by a local gunsmith (not cheap), only to get it to so-so reliability.

Sent it back to Rock Island (which I should have done first), and it turned out to be an out-of-spec mag catch.

Runs like a sewing machine now.

Short barrel (Pro Carry) Kimber 45ACP - Bought new, multiple problems! Dealer said "Shoot it lots, these have to get broken in..." 500+ rounds with lots of FTFs and FTEs.

After the first trip back to the factory, factory rep said "Shoot it more, these have to get broken in." 500 more rounds. Then "Try different ammo!" Then "Try different magazines!" Six more weeks of shooting, lots of different ammo, a pile of different magazines, and letting numerous others prove that it was a jam-o-matic, it went back a second time.

After the second trip home to the factory, it was still a jam-o-matic. By then, the dealer had made enough selling me ammo and magazines and bought it back.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    A known issue with some LCPs. The top round in the mag smacks into the feed ramp, leaving marks that look like a smiley face. In severe cases, it can jam the gun.
    Thanks.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

A Colt Defender, .45 Straight out of the box, it would eject shells straight back into my forehead....
    Took it to Nelson Ford, supposedly the best 1911 gunsmith on the planet.... NEVER EVER ran right after that, jammed, FTE, FTF's etc. I never got a complete magazine through
    that gun again, after 4 trips and several months of waiting for him to fix it.... finally traded it in on a Kimber Ultra CDP II, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    Ruger LC9. Bought new in May of 2012. After 50 rounds the plastic frame rail started splintering and cracking.
    Oh no, I hope you didn't give up on the lc9. I bought a brand new one in augest. 350 rounds and not a single issue.

Ruger mark III. had a bad trigger. You had to reset it by pushing it forward after every shot. after arguring with the store where I bought it for about a week they finally exchanged it for another one and I have had no problems since. Would you believe they said it just had too much oil on it and that I would have to take this brand new gun and pay to have it shipped back to Ruger myself ? I never went back to that shop again!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    A known issue with some LCPs. The top round in the mag smacks into the feed ramp, leaving marks that look like a smiley face. In severe cases, it can jam the gun.
    I was curious about this myself... Thanks.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Man, do I feel lucky. Never a bad purchase, new or used. Any issues could be traced to me or my reloads, both of which can be corrected.
    Last edited by OldVet; September 19th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Two Kahr PM9's and three Kahr P380's, none of which operated flawlessly even after several times back to the maker, proper break-in period before contacting the maker, many hundreds of rounds beyond the suggested break-in, and a wide variety of ammo in the search for something that would work properly. None of these pistols ever did.

And one STI Shadow 1911 .45ACP, which came with a poorly-fitted slide stop and marginally-tuned extractor. Led to many failures to feed, which improved a bit as round-count progressed, but never resolved itself even after a couple of trips back to STI for correction. Changed to a different brand stop, tuned the extractor, and then all the jams ceased. Bulletproof, after that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Man, do I feel lucky. Never a bad purchase, new or used.
    I'm In this camp. Now the Gun that gets fire ALOT is a few 9's, the only one had to go back, came back & had'nt had a issue through 7,000 rnds & thats conservative. My most shot would be a Mk I Ruger ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    Ruger mark III. had a bad trigger. You had to reset it by pushing it forward after every shot. after arguring with the store where I bought it for about a week they finally exchanged it for another one and I have had no problems since. Would you believe they said it just had too much oil on it and that I would have to take this brand new gun and pay to have it shipped back to Ruger myself ? I never went back to that shop again!
    I had a similar trigger reset issue with a Ruger Mk II. I eventually traced it to a tiny bit of dirt on a trigger bar link.

FYI - Ruger will usually pay the freight both ways. They have excellent customer service.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links