Tell me about your out of the box lemons

This is a discussion on Tell me about your out of the box lemons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NAA Guardian .380.....bought it on a reccomendation from a fellow instructor.....was so bad the manufacturer took it back and sent me a new one....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tell me about your out of the box lemons

NAA Guardian .380.....bought it on a reccomendation from a fellow instructor.....was so bad the manufacturer took it back and sent me a new one.

2. Remove Ads

I bought a Para-Ordinance 1911 that was awful. It failed to feed every other round and on the few times it would fire, it would stove pipe. It refused to
    "break in". Customer service was not very helpful. My LGS came to my rescue and took it back.

I also had a Beretta Tomcat that was very good "out of the box" and then the rail broke and the slide fell off the gun after about 200 rounds. Again, my
    LGS took the gun back.

Tell me about your out of the box lemons

Walther p-22, slide pitted a LOT first time out, a few stove pipes. I sold to a buyer who did not mind the pitted slide. 6 months go by and i buy another one, first time out lots ofslide pitting, next time out, gets worse, i wanted to like this pistol, butsame problem twice, i am done. Got an sr22, wife took it for her carry gun,......i cant win:-). Every other gun i have has been fine right out of the box, including an EMP, LC9 and LCP.

Sent from my iPad

My FNX-9 must be a lemon, it throws the brass too far away! Not at all like my PX4, which makes a nice little pile right by my feet.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

FNP-9. After about 100 rounds it would only fire in double action. Sent it in for service and after 30 days they told me the parts to fix the fire control group were not available and they had no idea when they would be. So they offered to send me an FNX-9 to replace it which is a great gesture. Only problem is the FNX-9 is on back order and they have no idea as to when they will get one to ship. Crappy gun, crappy service. When the FNX does come in I am selling it.

Colt Lightweight Commander .45...jam city. Never a problem with my Combat Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    My FNX-9 must be a lemon, it throws the brass too far away!
    I must be missing something here.....

VIP Member
    Ruger 10/22 - wood stock cracked on the first trip to the range. Ruger fixed it all on their dime and quickly - no problems since.

Springfield Loaded Combat 1911 - black paint on the frame was not cured properly and came off after about 1 month and 1K rounds. They have repainted it all at their cost and no problems since - but I have not shot it as much since I got it back.

Browning Cynergy 20ga - broken ejectors right out of the box. Browning fixed it, no cost to me. Has been great ever since.

All brand names, all took it upon themselves to fix the issue = happy customer that has and will buy more of their stuff.

Marlin on the other hand - I have a 30-06 that is doing well to get 2 MOA groups off the bench/sand bags. A call to Marlin and all I heard was - it's a hunting gun. 2" groups at 100 yds will kill deer - click. Guess who will not be getting any more of my business.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Kahr CM9-That thing was barely operable right out of the box. Recoil spring came out through the front of the barrel (first time i've ever seen that happen). BUT, I will say after I sent it in (my dime), it was flawless after a few hundred rounds before I sold it. Has kept me from purchasing another one though. Mostly because of ongoing bad reviews.

Keltec PF9-Multiple FTE's. BUT, after I sent it in (my dime again), it performed flawlessly for a few hundred rounds before I sold it. Same reason above I won't buy another one.

Walther P-22-Multiple FTE's regardless of ammo. Took it back to the store I bought it and got my money back.

I do want another Walther though. PPK. I almost don't even care if it works or not.

Colt Defender. Like someone else, ejected brass kept hitting my head with such force that it drew so much blood on my forehead that the Range Officer asked me to leave the line. It also scratched the hell out of two sets of glasses. I sent it back to Colt with pictures of my bleeding head. When I received it back from Colt, the gun would not fire at all, I mean nothing. It just went "click", no bang. I have given up on Colt.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Couldn't live without a Para LDA 45 Carry. Couldn't get it to run reliable. Sent it back to Para 3 or 4 times. Para gave in and sent me a new gun. I looked at it, wiped the oil off, and decided to not go through this again. I sold the new gun never putting a round through it. I got the money out of the gun but the cost of the ammo trying to get the first gun to run and the frustration were chalked up to experience. Para may be a good gun but, I won't be a Customer again.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    I must be missing something here.....
    It's called sarcasm. Unfortunately we don't have a nice font, or smiley, for it.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

kel tec p3at and pf9. took some work to get them running. they both had several major problems. but i also got a second p3at, p32, two p11 and a true p40. they all ran right out of the box without any problems. so sometimes you can get a lemon.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Taurus 709 Slim. Would FTE no matter what right out of the box, jhp, fmj, cheap ammo, expensive ammo, didn't matter.

I told the gun shop about it and said that I wanted to trade it. They (who shall remain nameless) said they would fix it and sell it for me. They did, kind of. The first guy who took it out on the range to test it had it basically explode in his hand. He was not hurt, thank god.

Taurus is garbage.
    The #1 tactical mistake is putting yourself in a situation that requires you to use your weapon...

...but if the situation indeed presents itself,

I've been through a number of carry guns but have landed on an overly reliable pair: Ruger LCR in .357 Mag and a Glock 26 3rd gen.
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links