Thinking of a G26

This is a discussion on Thinking of a G26 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally posted by JT I have never heard of any problems with the double recoil springs, nor with the Glock sub-compacts in general. I found ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a G26

Originally posted by JT
    I have never heard of any problems with the double recoil springs, nor with the Glock sub-compacts in general.
    I found this article right after a I bought a used G26: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/guiderods.html

I fired four rounds at the range with it and the recoil ass\'y ate itself. I ordered a replacement from Wolff and it has been 100%.

2. Remove Ads

I had a chance to shoot the G26. After shooting a 100 rounds I do not think it is the gun for me. I guess after shooting a 1911 for so long, the trigger does take a bit of getting used to. In the process of shooting the G26 side by side with the Ultra CDP, I came to the conclusion that I am looking for a 9mm that would be comparable to the CDP I carry now. No offense to Glock owners; the gun shot nice groups and functioned flawlessly. I know I want 9mm, after this I don\'t know. Thoughts on HK\'s and Berrettas, shoot even that FN Five-seveN is trick. Can you see I am a confused man looking for another gun?

JT
    I found this article right after a I bought a used G26: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/guiderods.html

I fired four rounds at the range with it and the recoil ass\'y ate itself. I ordered a replacement from Wolff and it has been 100%.
    Looks like an early problem that has been corrected. My 26 is in the E series.

On a side note, while Iím not discounting the article ĖItís probably factual - anything about Glocks on Dean Speirís site should be double-checked. He seems to have a grudge against Glocks. Many on GlockTalk will tell you he is leading a crusade against Glock, heís a liar, and you should not believe anything he says. I donít know enough about him to say that, but I do know there are inaccuracies in many of his articles on Glocks. . He does point out some legitimate concerns at times, but he would be much more credible if he was more balanced in his articles.

JT - Thanks for the head\'s up. I wasn\'t aware of any bias and only found the article trying to find info on my bsuted up recoil ass\'y. The nature of my failure was exactly as described in the article, but the s/n of my G26 is out of range of the supposed affected range.

Being new to the whole Glock scene, I have not read much over at GT.

Cheer!

JT
    While I am a big fan of Glock, I Ďll admit that some on GT go a little overboard. It is a man made device so they can have faults at times. The truth probably lies somewhere in between what Dean Speir has to say and what the rabid Glock fans have to say.

Not that everybody at GT is a rabid Glock fan. You can get some real good information and advice from many of the people over there. I think it has gotten more balanced over time.

Mx5
    DblTrbl:

I carried a Kimber CDP Pro Carry for a couple of years, but I recently decided to step down to a 9mm. The old arthritis prefers a 9mm to a 230 Golden Saber.

I had owned several Glocks before, but I sold them because of the grip angle and trigger. I decided to give the G26 a try and I like the gun a lot even though I am a 1911 fanatic. You will look long and hard to find a 1911 with a 3 inch barrel that is as reliable and accurate as the Glock.

For a small carry gun in a 1911 style chambered in 9mm you might want to consider the STI LS or BLS as well as the compact Springfield and the 4 inch lightweight Kimber.

Originally posted by DblTrbl
    Is the H&K P2000 SK in 9mm worth the extra $$ over the Glock? I don\'t mind paying the upcharge if it is warranted.
    There are a lot of folks out there that swear by H&K\'s. I own a few and I\'m a satisfied customer. Whether the extra cost is worth it is a question only you can answer. I think your best bet is to shoot as many different makes and models as you can and see which one(s) feel like they were made for you.

I\'m a 1911 fan and that was my regular piece when I started shooting H&K USP compacts with the LEM trigger (similar to the P2000). The trigger took a little getting used to (longer travel, but similar break and reset), but the grip angle is similar and for me it points more naturally than the Glock 26. I have put a hundred rounds or so through a friend\'s G26 and I think it shoots very nicely. However, I have to make a conscious effort to get the sights on the target, unlike with the H&K\'s or 1911\'s which seem to aim themselves.

Size-wise, I think the P2000 is noticeably larger than the G26. The H&K P2000SK is a bit smaller than the P2000, but I haven\'t compared it to the G26 - not sure how it stacks up.

You could also try the H&K P7M8, but there are more $$$ involved, and the single stack mag negates the capacity increase you were after. It is a pretty neat gun, though, IMHO.

I\'m no authority, but regardless of what you decide on, I\'d recommend always carrying at least one spare mag. Better to have it and not need it than vice-versa.

Have fun shopping:), and let us know what you come up with.

SSKC

I am the proud owner of a H&K USPc 9mm, Variant 1. It\'s like having a Glock and a 1911 in one, well kinda. The gun feels and shoots great. Yes it was more expensive but after a suitable amount of research I am happy with the purchase. I especially like the fact that H&K condones the use of +P rounds. I have put about 300 rounds through with nothing to report but smooth running and tight groups.Thanks for all the help. I would like to hear from the H&K wielders on the board now that I am in the club.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Another G26 user who\'s been quite happy with his. It\'s the size of a Detective Special, yet it carries more rounds and can easily and quickly be reloaded with a large mag (I carry 2 17-rounders in backup, and own a few of the 33-rounders that could be called upon in this role).

I have also never heard of problems with the contained double-spring recoil unit, and I\'ve been shooting micro-Glocks since they came out and hanging around on Glock Talk since \'96 or so. :question:

Little late...
    ..Thanks for all the input. I'm actually looking into a G26 as well and appreciate the opinions and thoughts. I've got small hands, so a G26 with a magazine extender fits my hand PERFECTLY.

The only downside is that I haven't been to the range yet to rent one and put some rounds through it.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Them two weapons are like apples and oranges. Good luck with the transition.-------

First of all, I'm happy with my Glock 26. I've found that the shorter grip is what helps with concealment, not just the shorter barrel length. With that in mind, I'd recommend against adding a grip extension, for doing so serves to defeat the purpose of buying a sub-compact.

got a g26 and i love it. but,,,,, i have moved to the g27. the g27 is the same size but in .40 cal. you can not go wrong with either one. just add the finger plus one to the mag and the g27/26 will be the same size as the g19/22.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I carry a Glock 19 mucho plenty. I find it to be a great compromise between full size 17s and baby 26s. Works for me.

Jungle Work

Thought I'd second the opinion (or third or forth) that you should definately shoot the XD subcompact from Springfield as well before you decide.

The Glock 26 is a great gun, no doubt about it. But for me the Springfield just felt better in my hand and I liked the extra safety features as well. Coming from the Kimber, I'd guess you'll feel more comfortable with the XD's 1911-style grip angle. Try it out and see what you think.

There has been some talk over at XD-Talk that you can use the subcompact 40S&W mag with the 9mm XD and get 13 rounds in the mag without having to add any length to the grip. The mag just needs a slight adjustment to make that work. 13rds in the standard XD subcompact grip is pretty sweet!

If you don't mind a bit longer grip, you can use the 16rd mag in 9mm as well.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links