Realistic carry gun weight

This is a discussion on Realistic carry gun weight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As with everything about a handgun it is a compromise. Carry enough gun that if you do need it, you can effectively use it as ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Realistic carry gun weight

As with everything about a handgun it is a compromise. Carry enough gun that if you do need it, you can effectively use it as a fighting weapon and not a lightweight talisman. I carry a G27 with the G23 mag thats 14 rounds on board and I feel fine.

2. Remove Ads

My carry gun, a Sig P220 Compact, weighs nearly 30 ounces..UNloaded!
    In a good rig, with a REAL gun belt...NO problems!
    It's a gun for crying out loud, not a water pistol! Of course, after lugging around 50 pounds of gear through the Iraq desert in 112degree heat.....

Then there is this...which I went through a short stint carrying (didn't quit carrying it due to weight, but single action wasn't the most practical for carry)

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Guess its what ever ya get use too. My EDC is either a Browning High Power or a 1911.

The lightet gun I sometimes carry is my Kahr K9.

Okie-dokie.... Been carrying since 1972, is that long enough?

I have carried (and not just once or twice, regularly) pretty much in order...

1} 2 1/2" round butt S&W 19
    2} 4" S&W 66
    3} 5" 1911 45
    4} customized 5" 1911 45; had the slide cut to 4" and the cut off part made into a compensator and every bell and whistle made
    5} Glock 19
    6} Para-Ordnance P-14 5" double stack 1911 45

Carried #1 about 18 months, felt it was too small and got one of the first S&W 66s, other than that the G-19 is the smallest thing I have carried. I like good quality belts and holsters from the top makers Bianchi, Safariland, Galco etc; for waist carry a quality belt made from THICK, lined leather makes all the difference, if the belt can't carry the weight no holster is going to feel right.

I also have Galco Jackass shoulder rigs for the G-19 and Para, I like the wider shoulder straps, it takes a long time to get the shoulder straps adjusted to where it fits, I like high up into the pits and carried forward.

My favorite to carry is my S&W 438 in .38 special, super light and rather accurate. Follow up shots aren't much of an issue with this light weight revolver, wouldn't want one in a .357 magnum but the .38 is quite pleasant to shoot. I've also carried Walther P99, HK P7 and a commander sized 1911. None of them have been much of a problem carrying, and they all shoot great. All in all I think it comes down to well designed and well built firearms.

Regards,

JEAM

It is highly dependant on set up. I carry a Ruger Vaquero (lots of ounces?) every day, for approx 17 hours a day. I have a very good belt and a very good holster. I forget it is there. I also have a cheap leather holster, and I can't carry the Vaquero with it for more than an hour with it. Lighter guns are more forgiving though. My P3AT is easy to carry no matter what holster or set up.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I will be carrying a Colt Commander soon and my last EDC was a LC9, in all honesty there doesnt seem to be too much weight difference (in the hand), we shall see about on the belt. The rounds alone should be significant IMO. Just got back form the grocery store and carried the s&w 442 in an uncle mikes IWB wearing gym shorts and boxer briefs, the briefs held up that gun fine. one of the easiest to carry IMO
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

25oz. maximum unloaded weight if carrying iwb, 15oz. maximum if I pocket carry.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

My Ruger SR40c is 30.19 oz fully loaded with defense rounds. I weighed it myself since I tend to not trust marketing materials. I really wouldn't want to go much heavier than that, since IMO even with a solid, thick leather belt, the belt and pants tend to move unevenly with the other side (if that makes sense) as I move around during the day and requires a quick tug-adjust once in a while.

A friend carries P220 compact, which of course is a full metal frame so is heavier and he has no issues.

Like most questions regarding CC this one is very dependent on tolerances/likes/size/etc of the individual.

Mike

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    This tread should be about what can you carry all hours your out of the house 7 days a week. Heck I could carry a mac 10 under the right clothing. Its more about can you really hide that full sized heavy pistol wearing normal clothing and look like a slob doing it. Probably not. Buy a smaller handgun if you need too. Those of use that have years of cc'n can pick out many guys that think there doing a great job but really ain't.

Lately I've been carrying the S&W M&P Shield in 9MM. It's advertised as the latest & greatest for CC because it's less that 1" thick but after taking it to the range a few times I've got to say that I think it's too thin. With everything there's a point of diminishing return & I think S&W hit it here, when I wrap my hand around the grip it just doesn't feel like there's enough meat on the bone, if you know what I mean.
    I guess it'll be OK for summer CC but I might sell it this winter.
    USMC--DAV--MOPH--VVA--NRA

The weight of the firearm has never been a factor for me. Thickness seems to be what gets to me if I have to do a lot of driving. I am more comfortable with a full size 1911 than a light weight, thick gun like the G36.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carry two handguns, all the time I have clothes on. That means all-day comfort is important to me. I also have small kids, so I want the guns to be concealed from them, lest they say the darndest thing at the darndest time. Finally, I need to be discreet at work.

Pocket carry is what works for me, given those parameters. I find no real difference between carrying my 12 oz LCPs vs my 16 oz LCR. Both are equally comfortable. My PM9, however, was notably more notable at 20 oz loaded.

So, for a pocket gun, I would say that 16 oz is probably as heavy as I would want to go for daily carry. However, I do pocket a Glock 26 while on duty (26 oz), but obviously concealment and all-day comfort are not as important then.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I've carried a G19, G23, G27 and G26. Now, I've just picked up a new Gen 4 Model 26 and find it perfect with a Galco Second Amendment or a Glock Combat/Sport holster. The 19 and 23 both had a tendency to dig the barrels into my thighs or buttocks. That extra 1/2" of barrel really makes a difference to me IMHO>
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    G30sf
    S+Wsd40
    LCR
    Nano [ well not yet,just got it so I gotta put a few hundred trough it first]

In that order. I have a Commander and with a good holster It can be carried all day but it's primarily my house gun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links