Realistic carry gun weight

This is a discussion on Realistic carry gun weight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Beretta px4 C 9mm and it is very confortable. It all depends on the quality of the equipment. A good belt and ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Realistic carry gun weight

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I carry a Beretta px4 C 9mm and it is very confortable. It all depends on the quality of the equipment. A good belt and a good holster will make a huge difference. I prefer some weight on my carry pistols.
    bmcgilvray and BurgerBoy like this.

2. Remove Ads

Everyone has their own limit. Personally I don't like anything heavier than a Glock 26. I mostly carry my Ruger LCR. If I choose to carry semi-auto, it's usually the Kahr PM9, however that is giving way lately to the Glock 26 instead. I have a Springfield XD9sc also, but it is too heavy for carry IMO.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

When you get a good belt, the next problem is getting a holster that fits your body type. I've got a Beretta 21 - very small, lightweight gun. It sucks to carry because the holster wants to ride inside my rib cage. My 4" K-frame revolver rides much nicer, despite being as heavy as 2-3 21s.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I`m a small guy {5'6"-145} and get away with most anything I want to carry. Mostly CC a S&W Governor IWB. I also IWB my 1911`s. Weight doesn`t matter,Comfort does.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    carry weight is a silly discussion, in my not so humble opinion. Carry what you can shoot, dress around it, and quit whining!
    msgt/ret likes this.

The heaviest gun I have is a p220SAS, and it is a noticeable amount of weight to tote. However, with a good holster, and a good belt, I find it plenty comfortable to carry all day. Glock 17 and 19 are plenty suitable for all day duty with a good setup as well. All of the above typically are accompanied by a j-frame in weak side pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    carry weight is a silly discussion, in my not so humble opinion. Carry what you can shoot, dress around it, and quit whining!

I always find it amusing when big strong men complain about a few ounces. I have seen that in backpackers and it cracks me up.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

I stiff belt makes the difference IMO. My Aker B-21 is stiffer than most and makes carrying my 1911 compact and commander guns easy. Yes, they are heavier than my M&P or the Kahr CM9 I had, but they shoot small planetoids and I am deadly accurate with them. To me, in a SHTF situation, those last two attributes are worth more than shaving 6-10oz off my carry.

As Clint Smith said "I think one of the key things, right up front, is that these guns you are carrying are not supposed to be comfortable, their not going to be. The best part about these guns is that will be comforting should you have to bet your life on it and the lives of your loved ones". That's why I carry what I carry. Just my $.02
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Some of us do not get to choose how we have to dress. "Dressing around the gun" - not so much an option.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Some of us do not get to choose how we have to dress. "Dressing around the gun" - not so much an option.
    This is very true.

The rest of the time, weight seems to matter very little for me. The right holster and belt make a lot of difference.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links