Realistic carry gun weight

This is a discussion on Realistic carry gun weight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of discussion on forums on how light some of these super light weight guns are and that carrying heavy guns is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Realistic carry gun weight

I see a lot of discussion on forums on how light some of these super light weight guns are and that carrying heavy guns is just so difficult. Ie, the kahr cw9 is the only way to go - the k9 is just so heavy, being all steel, etc. Lately I've wondered if this is really detrimental to new shooters and ccws by putting too much emphasis on the weight of a gun and not enough on things that may matter much more, like shootability.

So, from personal experience, I would love to know what your personal thoughts are on what are realistic weights for different types of carry guns. I'd like to keep the responses to people who have actually carried for a reasonable amount of time to know what they like and have at least experimented with a good carry belt and holster.

For me personally, carrying on a belt, anything about 30oz or less is just no problem with the right gear. What about everyone else?

The largest caliber/size you can comfortably carry, (if applicable) conceal and accuratley/comfortably handle.

I carry a Glock 23 IWB with a 13 round magazine and one in the chamber plus a second 13 round magazine. Tennessee is CC and OC so I have the option of either especialy with my holster.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

I like my Kahr P9 for being flat and light weight 16 oz. empty. I don't like to carry anything heavier than 25oz. As long you can shoot well light gun, this would be my choice. Kahrs are shooters.

Vodek

VIP Member
    Proper belt and holster carrying a full size 1911 (38 onces) is comfortable and comforting.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I think the Glock 26 is a type of gun you can carry every day all day long. The Glock 19 is also a gun you can carry every day but after about 9 hours is does get to be a little bit of a pain. The Kel-Tec P11 can be carried all day IWB or in the pocket.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    My Glock 17 weighs in at 33 ounces loaded, and is not a problem for all day carry. My Glock 19 is 30 ounces loaded. The most noticeable difference between the two is grip length. I have carried a Kimber, a PM9 and a Kel-tec (for about a day), but have learned I don't feel comfortable carrying anything smaller than the 19. 9mm is my carry caliber.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I carried a full-size 1911 loaded 8+1 for a long time, and in a good holster with a good gun belt I knew it was there but it was rarely uncomfortable. Then I "downsized" to a Sig 220 that was 10 ounces lighter, but a little fatter, but overall I preferred the slimmer 1911. Again, the belt and holster are critical to the comfort of the carry.

These days if I leave the house with a 1911 (except for the weekly matches) it's the Kimber equivalent of a Lightweight Commander. Like the 220, 10 oz lighter than the Gov't Model but just as slim. Around the house or in "low threat" environments, for convenience I'll carry the Kahr CW9 in a good paddle holster on regular slacks/shorts with a pretty stiff 5.11 belt.

I think I'd draw the line at the full-up 1911 for concealed carry, weight-wise. And going too light, like 14-ounce .357 magnum snubs, you'll be real slow on follow-up shots due to recoil. Where the line falls for you is something you have to determine experimentally for yourself.
    msgt/ret, Bad Bob and kmagnuss like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I carry a Kahr PM9 and a Glock 19. The PM9 is around 20oz. loaded and the Glock 19 is just under 30oz. loaded. I can completely forget that I'm carrying the PM9 due to it's size and weight. I always know that I'm carrying the Glock 19. The Glock 19 is very comfortable, just not as comfortable.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I like the weight and feel of my EDC. It is a Kahr CM9. At 16oz empty it works well with my Remora IWB and my Hays OWB holster. When the weather turns colder the heaviest of my carry guns is a Beretta PX4 SC in .40 cal. At 26oz it is heavy enough for me. I would not like anything heavier. But that's just me.

BenGoodLuck likes this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I carry a 1911 and don't have any problems with comfort. I agree that you should carry what you can conceal well and shoot accurately.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

mrm
    I carry a Glock 23 in a crossbreed with a 5.11 belt and a spare magazine, it is verry comfortable and comforting. I am on my feet at my job for 12 hours a day 5 days a week and for the most part im fine with it. I will admit there are sometimes when I get off work that I will throw the bodyguard 380 in my pocket at home.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

I like 20 to 25 ounces. Those ounces have away of getting heavier as the day goes on.

Sent via Mental Power

in pocket carried guns, my maximum is about 16 ounces, unloaded. so my S&W 642 or Kahr CM-9.

i have several guns that i holster carry, from a Sig P-239 (about the lightest), to an S&W 625, 3" (about the heaviest), with other Sigs and S&W revolvers. i pick according to what i feel like carrying that day. between these two extremes, weight has little to nothing to do with what i carry.

with the pistols, i will carry two spare magazines. with the revolvers i will usually carry three, but sometimes four, reloads.

also one or two 3" blade folding knives, and a Surefire E1B flashlight.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    I like the weight and feel of my EDC. It is a Kahr CM9. At 16oz empty it works well with my Remora IWB and my Hays OWB holster. When the weather turns colder the heaviest of my carry guns is a Beretta PX4 SC in .40 cal. At 26oz it is heavy enough for me. I would not like anything heavier. But that's just me.

Is that a Packers sweat shirt too?

Avatar, clothing - you need some Packer branded gun leather!

VIP Member
    If you don't have the right equipment even a 15 ounce airweight j-frame can flop around uncomfortably. I went through a number of holsters until I found what was comfortable for me. Provided you are not carrying a Ruger Alaskan or a SW 629, I have found most "carry" guns below 30 oz. to be pretty comfortable and forgettable with the right holster and belt.

I can't speak for the people that carry full size .45's and such, but I imagine they have adequate rigging to hold the gun firm and in position.

So in my experience, anything flopping around gets uncomfortable; it's a lot easier if its firmly secured.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links