Travelling from SC to PA...

This is a discussion on Travelling from SC to PA... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Late tonight, I'll be hitting the road and traveling from South Carolina to Pennsylvania. On my way, I'll only be stopping for gas and a ...

Thread: Travelling from SC to PA...

Travelling from SC to PA...

Late tonight, I'll be hitting the road and traveling from South Carolina to Pennsylvania. On my way, I'll only be stopping for gas and a snack. I don't have a permit to carry in Pennsylvania, so of course I won't CC'ing while there.

I would however like to have a gun with me while traveling and also to keep in the car while in PA. Can anybody tell me if this is legal to do?

On my travels, I'll be going through SC, NC, VA, WV, and PA.

Thanks in advance.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

PA is my home state and unfortunately you do need a PA or reciprocal license. Luckily for me, GA and PA reciprocate each other, but when we drive through Virginia and the Carolinas on the way up we make sure the guns are unloaded and in separate compartments from our ammo.

Carrying Firearms/Guns in Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania one must possess a valid license to carry a firearm concealed or in a vehicle. This license can be in the form of a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms or a similar permit from a state with which we have a form of reciprocity.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Late tonight, I'll be hitting the road and traveling from South Carolina to Pennsylvania. On my way, I'll only be stopping for gas and a snack. I don't have a permit to carry in Pennsylvania, so of course I won't CC'ing while there.

I would however like to have a gun with me while traveling and also to keep in the car while in PA. Can anybody tell me if this is legal to do?

Thanks in advance.
    Once you get to PA you can possess a handgun legally here and you can OPEN carry Legally.

The complications arise when Vehicles are involved.

Read this carefully...................> PSP

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Maybe while in Pa you can stop at one of the sheriff's offices and apply and possibly walk out with a pa nonresident permit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Virginia State Police - Concealed Handgun - Reciprocity and Recognition

and

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

Say your okay to CC in Va. Va is also an OC state if you prefer.

Radar detectors/Jammers are also illegal in Virginia, if you use one. I mention this because I always hear travelers complaining that get caught with one and have it taken away and fined.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Travel Handgun Law Reference

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I like to check handgunlaw.us frequently but particularly when traveling out of my home state. I would recommend signing up for updates too. I drove from PA to FL this summer and carried legally where allowed. I only had to unload and store in the trunk through SC. I just planned my stops accordingly. To be safe, I would check the recip states for your home permit and also the individual pages of the states that you drive through. Each state has different rules on where carry is permitted and various other limitation. I know that some states restrict things like type of ammo like hollow point and will fine per cartridge. Lots to consider and study to do it all legally, but it's worth the time.

Good Luck.

Hm... seems like I might have to leave the gun at home. I'm driving up with my mother, she's staying in WV and I'm staying in PA. I'll be flying back, her driving. I really just wanted to bring one up so she could have one for her drive back, since she'll be alone.

Sorry, responded too fast.. would federal transport laws be in effect? The gun won't be going into PA, it'll be going to WV with my mother and staying there. I won't be carrying it anywhere, it'll just be staying in the car with her (in WV, her final destination).

I will also pop in to grab my non-res while there. I was considering OC'ing while I was in Pittsburgh, PA but after read POAA's website, I'm must say I'm scared to. They pretty much said that the cops will arrest you for something else, i.e. disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, etc. for open carrying and considering the circumstances I'm going there under, I can't afford any delays or problems whatsoever while there.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Everyone who is unloading and storing their guns in the trunk in SC because SC does not have reciprocity in your state are going overboard. In SC you do not need a permit to carry in your car. It just needs to be a container with a latch. Your glove compartment or a console is sufficient. My CWP instructor said that a brown paper bag with a peice of tape on it would meet the legal requirement. You just can't have it on your person without a vaild permit. Just don't store it under your seat.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Everyone who is unloading and storing their guns in the trunk in SC because SC does not have reciprocity in your state are going overboard. In SC you do not need a permit to carry in your car. It just needs to be a container with a latch. Your glove compartment or a console is sufficient. My CWP instructor said that a brown paper bag with a peice of tape on it would meet the legal requirement. You just can't have it on your person without a vaild permit. Just don't store it under your seat.
    Exactly.

See:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

Source: South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

Thanks. If I were going to travel to SC more than once, I would look into being less conservative (Safe?). I would agree with blitzburgh when they said that open carry in PA is legal but will land you in jail here. Knives are even a more confusing story in PA. Every county has its own laws on what is legal. I guess that's why I tend to stay on the extreme side of safe, as far as law goes. Thanks again for clearing up my comment on unloading in SC.

Carefull Maryland is illegal , dont know about vehicle, but no permits or resciprocity..

I ended up staying on the extreme safe side of the things. Took a slightly different route than normal and stayed legal and stress free. Mom will be safe. ;)

Sent from my palm device

I hold a PA. Non Resident CCWP & last year, Was the last year to renew it, Without going into PA in person to renew a permit. Any renews you have to go in person to PA & renew your out of state CCWP.? Which I think is a stupid Law even though I am in NYS & at least a 3 hr' ride to PA from where I reside. I hope within the next 5 yrs when it's time to renew again. They change that crazy Law.

Links