Kahr Cw45 question

This is a discussion on Kahr Cw45 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friend of mine bought a new Kahr 45 this past weekend, and I recieved a call on Monday. He could barely rack the slide, or ...

Thread: Kahr Cw45 question

Kahr Cw45 question

Friend of mine bought a new Kahr 45 this past weekend, and I recieved a call on Monday. He could barely rack the slide, or get it to load over three rounds in the magazine without using some sort of leverage. I take it, and find that it does take an extreme amount of power to rack the slide, and forgret about moving the slide release. I couldn't get it to load more than four rounds. Is this common for these inexpensive plastic guns, or is there something that has to be done to them so they loosen up a bit. Gun cycles fine, once you get used to the mile and a half of take up in the trigger. Do the springs have to be way overkill to keep something this light functioning correctly? I've done every trick I do to my Colts to see if it helped and it didn't.
    My friend is older, and doesn't have the grip he used to. But he also doesn't have a problem racking my Colt Compact, Officers LW, Gold Cup or 1911. Are there lighter springs available for the Kahr, or is he destined to be trading it off on something better?
    Last edited by texasleaguer; September 20th, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
    Colt Commander LW. I think shooting twice is just plain silly.

2. Remove Ads

The gun and mag just need to get a bunch of rounds through them. It's a stiff spring in each to be sure, but they will loosen up. We've had women report on how much they love the gun, so be a little patient. One thing to note is they if you or your friend are grasping the slide with thumb and forefinger to cycle it, you'll probably always have problems with these little guns in stout calibers. Use the "overhand" method to grab the slide with the weak hand, and push forward with the strong hand. Fingers outside the trigger guard, of course.

BTW, if you're used to 1911s the Kahr trigger may seem long, but it's a shorter, smoother pull than on many stock Glocks, M&Ps and other striker-fired guns.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Never had any issues like that with my CW45, or the wifes CW9. No break in period, not 200 slide cycles prior to the range. Simply cleaned them up and went and shot.

Did you disassemble the gun and make sure that it is put together properly? Since Kahr recommends using the slide release to let the slide go forward and not racking the slide it should not be that difficult to get the slide to release with the actual slide release.

And yes, my wife actually likes the trigger and shoots better with her CW9 than she does her G19. Others opinions might vary.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    BTW, if you're used to 1911s the Kahr trigger may seem long, but it's a shorter, smoother pull than on many stock Glocks, M&Ps and other striker-fired guns.
    The trigger pull was my observation. And yes, all I own are Colt 1911s, 1903s,1908s and some Baby Brownings. Once I got past the take up, it did feel smooth. My Buddy's a DA shooter so that didn't bother him.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Never had any issues like that with my CW45, or the wifes CW9. No break in period, not 200 slide cycles prior to the range. Simply cleaned them up and went and shot.

Did you disassemble the gun and make sure that it is put together properly? Since Kahr recommends using the slide release to let the slide go forward and not racking the slide it should not be that difficult to get the slide to release with the actual slide release.

And yes, my wife actually likes the trigger and shoots better with her CW9 than she does her G19. Others opinions might vary.
    Yes I did disassemble the gun. Everything looked ok. I did my usual cleaning, then soaking in Mobil One. It got better. Looks like it might have to get shot a bit.

I bought one of my Kahrs from an elderly gentleman that could not rack the slide. NIB, the Kahrs are very stiff, and take some break in to loosen them up a bit. Trigger is going to be a shock to 1911 gurus, but they are designed to be small, self defense pistols with no safety, so the only safety they have is the one between your ears and the long, smooth trigger pull.
    The CW45 is a good gun. Give it chance and work with it before you throw in the towel. Mine cycles very easily now and is a potent little weapon smaller than the Glock 36 holding the same number of rounds and I find to be just as accurate....but cost $200 less than my Glock 36.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I love mine! Never had any problems, and it is my EDC with around 1000rnds down range.
    Kahr CW45
    Glock 19 OD

If Obama is the answer it was a dumb question.

VIP Member
    When new the slide on Kahr guns are very stiff, once it has been shot it becomes much easier to rack the slide. Same with releasing the slide.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links