An M&P kind of day

An M&P kind of day

This is a discussion on An M&P kind of day within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well Mrs. Tac has been talking about upgrading from her 238 for a bit now. We have had several webcam conversations and I would send ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: An M&P kind of day

VIP Member

An M&P kind of day

Well Mrs. Tac has been talking about upgrading from her 238 for a bit now. We have had several webcam conversations and I would send her pics and specs of different guns that she may like. She has a choice of virtually every type of handgun and holster combo at the house and has no problem with handling any of the handguns including my SA TRP and BHP which have two of the stoutest recoil springs of any of my handguns.

After a few talks she decided to stick with something she knew and liked. The house gun is a M&P full size, .45 with a threaded barrel, 13 round extended mags and weapon mounted light. As stated she has no problem with manipulating the weapon and shoots it very well so the choice of sticking with the M&P platform was obvious except for caliber which she wanted 9mm.

Since this would be her carry gun the choices were the M&P 9mm compact or the Shield. After talking about it the Shield won out with it's smaller grip and overall size.

I also wanted her to have a range gun to train with. Full size guns are much easier to shoot and train with in range sessions or classes with high round counts. I found a full size M&P 9mm in a range kit that came with a Blade Tech Holster and mag pouch with three mags and in Flat Dark Earth to boot, can't beat that.

I am a big fan of having a .22 equivalent of any firearm. It makes it much easier to teach the basics and it is a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot besides this also allows the kids to be able to learn on a .22 platform until the become proficeint enough for a duty type caliber. Except for the added thumb safety controls are the same on all three guns.

Once she fires the Shield for a bit she can decide if she likes the stock sights or something different.
    billthemoose likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Very nice. The M&P series is a very nice lineup. I have been wanting an M&P 9mm to test out.

Distinguished Member
    That's a good day. Nice.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Lead Moderator
    After shooting a buddies M&Pc I was sold on the platform. I got the .40 f and am really happy with it. Having small hands this gun fits better than my old HK USP or a Glock. The .22 version is next on my want list.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Would you be willing to adopt me, so I can get 3 more guns?

Haven't had a chance to fondle the Shield, but if all reports are correct, sounds like a good choice.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well Good Lord. I'd say that was quite a day. Well done.

Now put a set of rubber Talon Grips on it and She will really love the feel of it. I have a shield and put them on mine
    and it really makes the grip feel good!

Sounds like a good day indeed!

I have the m&p9c. It took me awhile to get her broke in and used to the trigger. But getting along well now. I now like the m&p line better now.

VIP Member
    M&P's rock!
    Looks like you guys have a good plan going!
    Congratulations
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

You definitely can't go wrong with the M&P line, I love all 3 of mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Does the Shield have a different trigger than the M&P double-stack versions? I have been told that it does. Is there a better trigger? I was curious as I read on another forum they will be using the Shield triggers in the M&P lineup. But I have no experience firing either gun and am curious.

Do you know if the M&P22 trigger feels the same as the Shield or full-size M&P 9mm? Can you have the exact same trigger behavior (reset, trigger lb pull, etc) on every gun in the M&P lineup?

VIP Member
    From what I have seen and read the triggers on the .22 are the same as the service caliber guns. I think they "improved" the triggers on the Shield but don't quote me on that.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Please post a review when you get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links