Sig P238 vs S&W 442?

Sig P238 vs S&W 442?

This is a discussion on Sig P238 vs S&W 442? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 442 is flawless, but a little bulky in some pockets. Has anyone had it (or a 642 or similar) and a Sig P238 and, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P238 vs S&W 442?

Sig P238 vs S&W 442?

My 442 is flawless, but a little bulky in some pockets. Has anyone had it (or a 642 or similar) and a Sig P238 and, if so, which did you favor for pocket carry, shootability, etc.?
    I'm thinking of swapping out the 442 for the Sig or maybe having both.
    Thanks.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

JD
    Administrator
    I would opt for both if at all solid option. I really liked the P238, but the J-frame does have some appeal to it that I think you would miss.

Distinguished Member
    I swapped my 238 and I'm sticking with my Smith 638. Not as smooth a carry but that's my choice.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    My 442 is flawless (so why get rid of it?) or maybe having both.
    I carry a M&P 340 revolver in my front pocket and Sig HD 238 as a backup IWB. This set up works for me and both are reliable. Both are lightweight.

Carry what you have confidence in.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You may want to stay with the same trigger pull that your use to or don't go back to the revolver for carry. Atleast check out the taurus TCP 380 or a kahr cm9, Might be a few more with the same type trigger pull and NO safety. Nano maybe. I tend to not like changeing trigger pulls for CC and also carried a revolver , for 20 years. Now a kahr and tcp are in my mix for cc needs.

I have both. The 238 is better (for me) for IWB and the 442/642 are better for pocket carry (for me). Although the 238 is pretty damn great in a pocket... I just like the snubbies better in pockets... just a personal preference. Your mileage may vary.

I have both and usually carry them as a tandem while working. I drive around in some bad areas for work. I usually pocket carry the P238 front strong side and keep the 642 in a Galco ankle glove on my left ankle. Just works well for me. If I had to choose between the two I'd probably go with the revolver just because of the ability to carry a larger bullet.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Have 2 p238's carry in cargo pocket, front pocket, preferred method is IWB great gun verty accurate for me in my three gun rotation for EDC Sig P238 small.jpg
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I have a 637 and love it, but here's my take on the P238:

I work in an environment where it's critical that no one knows I'm carrying. Plus I wear suit pants every day with a shirt and tie, so anything bulky in my pocket is going to be blatantly obvious. No matter what I did the snub wouldn't conceal to my satisfaction...it always stuck out enough to garner the question "what's that?". The P238 on the other hand, with a good pocket holster...just disappears. Looks like a small planner in my pocket.

On top of that, I found it to be extremely accurate and super easy to learn. The snub can be quite accurate but it takes a learning curve. Even after having my snub for years and my P238 for only a couple months I'm much more accurate with the P238. That may be due to the fact that the airweight snub is a bit of a handful and not the most fun thing to shoot for anything serious. The P238 on the other hand...is a joy.

Plus, the P238 comes from the factory with night sights already installed. Can't beat that, and I'm not even sure it's possible to install night sights on the pocket snubs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my snub and carry it on certain occasions. I feel everyone should own at least one. But for my daily defense purposes, the gun I carry 95% of the time during the week and trust my life to is the Sig Sauer P238.

grouse and Rhcmlc like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I would choose what you can shoot better. For me would be Kahr P9 as IWB and PM9 or 642 as a back.
    I need to admit that I shoot better PM9 than 642.
    Vodek

P238. Easier to conceal both the pistol & the extra magazines.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

This is kinda tough. I would get/keep both if possible. I just sold a LCP which is to be replaced with a P238. both are pretty much the same size so I already know the P238 will work. The P238 will always be in my pocket no matter what I'm doing or what ever else I'm carrying, however the my snubby looks too bulky in my pocket, so I only carry it when dress permits.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Keep the 442 and get the P938. Why settle for a pocket pistol that shoots expensive 380 when you can have a slightly larger pocket rocket that shoots cheaper and better-performing 9mm?

The P-238 has a safety. If you are used to the revolver; draw point, shoot the safety will get you on occasion. I use the 637 in the winter OWB with a jacket and the P-238 front pocket carry with a homemade kydex pocket holster in the summer mostly in cargo shorts. When it comes time for a change to the P-238, I practice getting that @#$%^ safety off for a couple hours before I start carrying it. The transition back to the 637 is much the same practice moving that @#$%^ jacket out of the way to draw.

BTW ... OT: Last Friday while practicing, one practice was to rapidly move left firing somewhat back at the target. I found that my left arm was not long enough to use standard double handed grip. If I used kind of a sissor's step to the left and kept my body more straight to the target I could move just as fast, keep my normal grip and much more accurate. Moving rapidly to the right, no problem. YMMV
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Sounds to me that the "correct" answer is both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links