Need advice on my first Carry Pistol... - Page 2

Need advice on my first Carry Pistol...

This is a discussion on Need advice on my first Carry Pistol... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You can easily conceal a full size 1911 with a good belt, a good holster, and appropriate clothing. I carried one OWB for a while ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Need advice on my first Carry Pistol...

You can easily conceal a full size 1911 with a good belt, a good holster, and appropriate clothing. I carried one OWB for a while without a good belt. I carry a GLOCK 19 everywhere I'm able to do so. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and a Crossbreed belt. If you look up reliabilty, simplicity, and durability in the pistol dictionary there should be pictures of the GLOCK by all of those words. The 9x19 (9mm, 9mm Luger) is a well respected delf defense cartridge. It is also less expensive than .45 acp, .357 sig, .40 s & w, .357 magnum, .32 acp, and even .380 acp. If a GLOCK 19 is too big look at the 26, eleven rounds in a sub-compact pistol is pretty comforting, plus if you should need more bullets you can use the GLOCK magazines from larger GLOCK 9mm pistols, up to 33 rounds!

Like others have said try several out if you can before you buy. As great as GLOCKs are there are people out there that they just don't work for.

Good luck in your quest.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Congratulations for you and your wife to take your personal protection seriously!

That said, I would advise you to look around at some expert opinions before picking your chosen firearms. Not forum opinions, but opinions of trainers like Mas Ayoob, Jeff Cooper, etc. Also, you both should go over and read this first if you haven't already:

corneredcat.com

That said, I would suggest that you not get trapped into thinking that you need a tiny little gun in a marginal cartridge. A medium sized gun in a powerful cartridge can be carried just as easily and shot much more effectively, so there's no reason to short change yourself.

I would also have your wife reconsider purse carry, or at least do some research on it. There's definitely a place for it, but again, don't think it's the only or best or easiest or safest option without doing the research first.

Good luck!
    ArmedPreacher and miller_man like this.

Pick the weapons that are the most comfortable to you. As for caliber & budget: Remember that you are betting your life on your choice(s). Get professional training...for the same reason.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

only advice I can give:

1. carry a service caliber weapon of 9mm and up. You want a gun that will stop a threat immediately if required. A service caliber weapon has a greater chance of making that happen.
    2. A heavy gun will not be carried as much as it should be. Go as light as possible. You are going to be married to this gun, so you have to make sure its easy to have with you 24/7.
    3. A thin gun will conceal much easier than a chubby one. Physics.
    4. A gun with a long grip does not conceal as easily as a gun with a short grip. Printing.
    5. Compare side by side and shoot as many as you can before you make a decision.
    6. Practice as much as possible and obtain some good defensive pistol training.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Give the Glock 19 & 26 a hard look.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My current favorite to carry is a mid size Italian copy of a Walther pp. The sub compacts are very difficult for me to grip and shoot well. There are a lot of guns this size that are at bargain prices. The Bersa Thunderer, CZ 82 and 83, all come to mind. These are all under $300. 380 is a 9mm bullet with a little less driving it. I would be perfectly comfortable carrying one. DR

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I have found the .380 round snappy and hard to control. A Glock 19 or 26 for 9mm would be perfect. If you want more power, the 10mm glock 29sf will more than do. If you are used to the .357 magnun you should have no problem with the recoil. The Glock 32 in .357SIG is a nice one also. I just don't like the .380.

You really can't do much better for carry than a Glock 19, 23, or 32. Not too expensive, plenty of rounds on board, simple and reliable. I have all three. I do prefer my SIGs, but now you are paying around 850 as opposed to 500. The Glocks I listed have a shorter grip to help with printing, but long enough to get all fingers on it. For your first carry gun, a 19 (9mm) is going to be tough to beat.

But SIGs, M&Ps, XDs, are just as good.
    miller_man likes this.

Go to a gun show or something and find yourself a nice used glock. There are plenty of those out there and the G26 isn't a whole lot bigger than a .380. If you really want to stick with a pocket gun go with an LCP or keltec or anything other than a Taurus. Just my opinion. I have seen far too many (6 come to mind over the past 2 years) Taurus semi-autos jam for me to ever be comfortable with them. These jams have all been ones I have seen, not just heard of or read about.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Be aware that there is an inverse relationship between size/weight of a handgun and the ability to shoot it quickly and accurately. There are many pocket 380 and 9mm pistols out there that are light and will fit in a pants pocket. They may be convenient to carry, but they may not be much fun to shoot. Recoil can be quite sharp stinging the hand making follow-up shots difficult to make accurately.....not good for extended range visits. I'm a big believer in shooting your carry handgun often and becoming very proficient in it's use. I don't know your personal situation so it's difficult to make suggestions as far as handguns for personal protection. If you work in an office environment you may have a difficult time carrying a full size or even compact handgun. I'm retired and mostly wear sports shorts/tee shits and shorts/jeans, so I can easily carry a full size 1911's, Sig P220 or Glock 30 ( I prefer 45acp pistols). I would recommend you step up in caliber and find a 9mm or 38+p special revolver you shoot well. Most self defense "experts" would recommend you not drop below 9mm or 38spl for self defense. Smaller calibers are fine for a back-up weapon, but not as a primary.
    ArmedPreacher and miller_man like this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I have found the .380 round snappy and hard to control. I just don't like the .380.
    Be aware that the 380 is just a shortened 9mm case. It was probably more about the gun you shot than the 380 round. My choice of carry gun is fairly flat, has a slightly longer barrel, and enough grip to just get all three fingers on it. This also adds to the weight, but that helps make it very comfortable to shoot. If I were a suit or sport coat wearer its very easy to add a gun pocket to your jacket. If some one were to bump into you or give you a hug it just feels like a wallet in an inside pocket. Good luck DR

I use to carry my Glock 19, now my EDC is a Ruger SP101 357 3" barrel, love revolvers, my wife carries a Walther PK380, its the only simi-auto we found that she could rack the slide. I don't care for the 380 as a self defense round but its better then nothing (in her case) anything above the 380 was to much recoil for her. Find one that feels good in your hand first and then see if you can rent one to try it out. I've bought and sold 4 guns before I finaly found what I have now.
    onacoma likes this.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Forget about the 4inch gun in the purse and get two snub nose revolvers in .38 caliber and go from there.
    rdpG19 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Carry a Sig 229 or G23 both in .40 as the main weapong and rossi 641 as a backup. So I would reccomend at least a 9mm
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links