Need advice on my first Carry Pistol...

This is a discussion on Need advice on my first Carry Pistol... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that this type of thing may have been discussed in the past, but it's late and I don't have time to look through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Need advice on my first Carry Pistol...

I know that this type of thing may have been discussed in the past, but it's late and I don't have time to look through all 17,000 threads, so here goes my question...

My wife and I are looking to each get a pistol of our own to carry. I'm not new to HD (2 Shotties and a rifle), but we've never looked into carrying outside of the home. Now she's pretty set on what she wants. She can afford to go a little bigger because she's going to purse carry, so she's into a 4" barrel .357 (Taurus or Rossi). I, on the other hand, have not made up my mind and I'm looking for some advice. Today I went window shopping and saw a few semi's that I like but only a few that I can actually afford (Since we're both getting one and I'm investing more into her than I am in myself).

A Taurus .380 ACP caught my eye and there was also a 9mm in the same style. Though new to this site I am not new to the ongoing caliber debate, so a .380 may not sit well with some of you. I, myself, put trust in shot placement more than bullet size and have alot of experience shooting downrange. I can place rounds well with my father's .357 and Judge but am no good with his lightweight Ruger LC9. The recoil doesn't hurt but it sure screws up my ability to place good shots when I can't fit the thing in my hand properly. I'm basically looking for something that will be appropriate for concealment but not so small that my big hands can't hold it. The .380 fit perfectly and I hear they aren't bad with recoil. What do you guys think?

Sounds like you've made up your mind already. Go for it.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I would suggest trying to find a place that will let you demo some guns and see which one you like better. My backup carry gun is a Sig P238 and I love it. It's like shooting a 22 in comparison to my G20.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    Blade Reviews 101 - Knife, Tactical & Survival Gear Reviews
    The Knife Exchange - Buy, Sell, and Trade Knives
    Facebook - Instagram

If it were me I would try to shoot as many as possible that felt good to me from the big four: Glock, Sig, Ruger and Springfield.
    While they work great for some, Taurus does not make my top twenty. IMO.

Find a Shield or XDS to handle. They seem to be real HOT right now.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I did a lot of internet trolling on various carry sites, as well as watching YouTube reviews before I settled on my carry gun. I went with the M&P Shield 9mm. As my first carry piece, I wanted something I could afford shooting, and was small enough where I wouldn't find myself inconvenienced by carrying, and ultimately NOT carrying as a result. So far, I'm very pleased with my choice, and I went the 9mm route for the price and accessibility of ammo as well as the compatibility down the road if I ever decide to get a carbine.

I'm more surprised by your wife carrying a 4" .357. As the owner of one of those (Ruger SP101) I can say that feels like a big gun for concealed carry, but I guess it's all relative to how big her purse really is. :)

Check out the Shield or if you like the ergonomics of the LC9, maybe you'll have better luck with the LCP.

VIP Member
    Anything smaller and less capable than a compact, high-capacity 9mm is too small for me. Shot placement is what it is, but since handgun calibers in general lack true stopping power, I want as many rounds as I can practically carry to place. I am betting my life on what I am carrying, so I want to be sure I am carrying enough.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Give a Glock 32 (.357sig) a try if you're able to rent one or happen to know somebody who has one.
    multistage likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Talking

My carry will be a Ruger sr40c when I get my ccl and I am looking at a Ruger LCP for a BUG. I also have a Baby Desert Eagle .40 but it is a little to large for concealment IMHO.

My daddy use to say "Opinons are like"...well we won't go into that here..

Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    I did a lot of internet trolling on various carry sites, as well as watching YouTube reviews before I settled on my carry gun. I went with the M&P Shield 9mm. As my first carry piece, I wanted something I could afford shooting, and was small enough where I wouldn't find myself inconvenienced by carrying, and ultimately NOT carrying as a result. So far, I'm very pleased with my choice, and I went the 9mm route for the price and accessibility of ammo as well as the compatibility down the road if I ever decide to get a carbine.

I'm more surprised by your wife carrying a 4" .357. As the owner of one of those (Ruger SP101) I can say that feels like a big gun for concealed carry, but I guess it's all relative to how big her purse really is. :)

Check out the Shield or if you like the ergonomics of the LC9, maybe you'll have better luck with the LCP.
    I traded the 9mm Shield for a GLOCK. The Shield was a gift. I don't like external safeties. I really feel like Glocks have ruined me for any other brand.
    joker1 likes this.
    RussP at GlockTalk is a Troll!

I like the 380 and carry one often as a back up but if you're already looking for a gun for large hands you may as well get a duty caliber weapon to fill them.

I like the Glocks but many people don't like the form factor. Thankfully there are many manufacturers to choose from. I look for lean options without LCI's, external safeties, internal locks and mag disconnects. But many people look specifically for guns with those items. Decide what features are important to you and go shoot a few.

Distinguished Member
    I first bought a TCP for myself and my girlfriend. I had read and heard of all the problems with taurus, and ignored it. I have now replaced both guns because neither TCP would feed consistently, and an extra magazine bought for the gun wouldn't even fit.

I recommend staying away from taurus, or don't - learn the hard way like I did. You can find page after page of problems with taurus for a reason.
    I agree with others, go with a solid company - glock, ruger, S&W, springfield, ect.
    Also I would say go 9mm, you get a good round for SD and its the cheapest.
    ArmedPreacher and bgusty like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

+1 on all the folks that mentioned renting/borrowing and shooting for yourself. Then you'll know with certainty before plunking down your $$.

VIP Member
    There is something to be said about getting it right the first time. Having said that, in your OP maybe you are already on the right track for what you want? Ya'll are the ones who will buy and own them and hopefully will be satisfied. Gun preference is a pretty personal thing.

What has worked for me and my wife? She CC a S&W 642, it has a little snap to it, not a range gun, but she's fine with that. If she ever needs it, the snap will be the least of her memories. She's 100% happy with it, I used to ask her about once of year would she like to consider another gun, the answer is always a resounding "No, I like my gun". She has confidence in it that I'm not going to undermine, so I've quit asking.

For myself, I always have a LCP in my pocket when I'm around the farm. Certainly not the best CC gun at all, there are many many that are better. The size is the seller for me and how I work. When I'm away from here, I usually ramp up to a G27, XDs, PPS, or more recently a full-sized Sig 229.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    If it were me I would try to shoot as many as possible that felt good to me from the big four: Glock, Sig, Ruger and Springfield.
    While they work great for some, Taurus does not make my top twenty. IMO.

Find a Shield or XDS to handle. They seem to be real HOT right now.
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I first bought a TCP for myself and my girlfriend. I had read and heard of all the problems with taurus, and ignored it. I have now replaced both guns because neither TCP would feed consistently, and an extra magazine bought for the gun wouldn't even fit.

I recommend staying away from taurus, or don't - learn the hard way like I did. You can find page after page of problems with taurus for a reason.
    I agree with others, go with a solid company - glock, ruger, S&W, springfield, ect.
    Also I would say go 9mm, you get a good round for SD and its the cheapest.
    Good advice.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    As other have recommended, shoot as many as you can before making up your mind. I'd also suggest you give the Kahr CW9 a look. While not high capacity, it is easy to conceal, light and reliable.

As to the Taurus, their revolvers work well (or have for me), however their semi autos can be hit or miss on function and reliability.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

MJK
    The .380 is inadequate to reliably stop a threat because of inadequate penetration. Go with 38 speciall, 9x19 or larger.

If you are ever required to defend your life with your carry weapon you
    will likely be more happy with your choice.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links