Colt Gold Cup 1911 .45ACP

This is a discussion on Colt Gold Cup 1911 .45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to look at a Colt Gold Cup 1911 .45 today for a potential buy. The guy wants $950 for it. From what I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Beans
  • 1 Post By Lindy1933

Thread: Colt Gold Cup 1911 .45ACP

Colt Gold Cup 1911 .45ACP

I'm going to look at a Colt Gold Cup 1911 .45 today for a potential buy. The guy wants $950 for it. From what I can tell online that seems to be a pretty good price, but like everything it all depends on condition. What are some things I should look for? If it is in pretty good shape, is that a decent price?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Do a function check.

RE this thread: 1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK

Also if you can field strip it and look it over for any stress cracks or damage. If you have a small magnifying glass I always try and inspect the extractor for any wear or damage, usually found on the bottom side, I've found that shooting cheap steel cased ammo tears up the extractors on my 1911's.

Make sure the slide to frame fit is tight, and check the break on the trigger - if you have a .45 snap cap use that to dry fire it and ensure the firing pin is striking the primer with a healthy amount of force, some owners dont like you dry firing their weapons, I've never had an issue, but keep snap caps in all my favorite calibers to check any used weapons I might be looking at.

A good tell for cleanliness of the weapon is to remove the grips and look at how much crud is under them, if it's clean under the grips, it's a good bet that weapon was taken care of. I have shot many Gold cup's and with exception of one, they all shot wonderful.

GL!

NachO

VIP Member
    You might want to print this out and take it with you for a reference point:

1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

More information is needed in order to offer assistance.

1. 70 or 80 Series?
    2. Blue or Stainless
    3. Any mods?
    4. Percent of finish?
    5. scratchs/dings?
    6. Orginial grips?
    7. Is it a Gold Cup National Match or a Gold Cup trophy ????

You can buy a new Colt Gold Cup Trophy in stainless for around $1,000.00. Colt Suggested retail in $1125.00. The Blue National match is listed at $1103.00.

The online auctions has them LISTED for higher prices but there seems to be no bidders on the high priced one. The older 70 series usually command a higher price.
    Yetiman likes this.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Has it been messed with? That is the question. Dead stock is what you're looking for in any Colt to begin with. Not some monkeyed-with piece of junk that suffered from a foolish owner who couldn't leave well enough alone.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The older Gold Cups with the Eliason rear sight were prone to having them fall off because the roll pin lost its tightness. Some of the "solutions" weren't pretty, like peening the hole; others just replaced the sight with something more robust. If the Eliason has been replaced, that will diminish collector value, but that's moot if this will be a shooter for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Classic gun...

I like Colt Gold Cups and presently own 5 of them. At one time in the 1990s I was collecting them, and had 10 or 12. I have shot them steadily over the years and always admired their accuracy, trigger pull and looks.

I bought most of mine in the $600 to $800 range over 10 years ago, and now they are generally worth about twice that. So the price you are considering looks quite fair to me if the gun is in excellent condition. I would advise you to look the gun over carefully, as previous posters have recommended. The highest value is with a gun that has not been modified or used very much, with no visible signs of wear. Talk to the seller and ask him about the history of the gun, and watch him closely to assess his apparent honesty about this.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I'm liking that middle one in Pogo2's first photo. It has the fine looking "minimalist" roll markings of a "pre-Series 70" Gold Cup.

Yep 'smitty, that roll pin's long been said to be a weakness. I've kept a baleful eye on mine for years. So far so good. I've heard there's a solid pin replacement fix for the issue but haven't investigated it yet since it's not been needed so far.

Series 70 Gold Cup

This thread's inspired me to take the Gold Cup along to the range this morning. Will be the first time this week that I've had opportunity to go.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm liking that middle one in Pogo2's first photo. It has the fine looking "minimalist" roll markings of a "pre-Series 70" Gold Cup.

Yep 'smitty, that roll pin's long been said to be a weakness. I've kept a baleful eye on mine for years. So far so good. I've heard there's a solid pin replacement fix for the issue but haven't investigated it yet since it's not been needed so far.

Series 70 Gold Cup

This thread's inspired me to take the Gold Cup along to the range this morning. Will be the first time this week that I've had opportunity to go.
    This is the one, but not sure if in this nice a shape yet. 70 series national match in blue. I didn't get to go look at it today. Hope to this weekend.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I PM'd you a long time back... can't remember how close we are together, but if this is a close drive for me I'd be willing to tag along to give my opinion of the pistol. I'm not a master 1911'er by any means, but I've had enough good and bad ones to know what to look out for.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    No further recommendations over what has been offered, just weighing in to say good luck and I hope she's pristine.

Some of the Gold Cup Match .45s have been accurized for wad cutter match ammo only. The spring is not strong enough for typical military ball ammo. I shot a Gold Cup Match for wad cutter only when on the base pistol team and it was a 1" at 50 yards gun from machine rest. The gun was, I wasn't :-)
    Beans likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    You're right - it is a pre-series 70, made in 1968. I bought it used and a little beat up in 1992 for $600. I had it reblued and added the Wilson beavertail and hammer, along with the S&A magwell. I have shot it regularly for 20 years with good reliability and accuracy. It did tend to lose a sight roll pin sometimes, but I bought 6 new ones for my parts box, and just replace as required.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links