sr9c vs m&p 9 sheild reliability

This is a discussion on sr9c vs m&p 9 sheild reliability within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, i am looking at the ruger sr9c and the m&p9 sheild for my wife. she wanted a smaller gun but due to the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By minimalbrat

Thread: sr9c vs m&p 9 sheild reliability

Hey everyone, i am looking at the ruger sr9c and the m&p9 sheild for my wife. she wanted a smaller gun but due to the recoil and how it feels in her hand when shooting we were goin to look at slighty larger pistols for her. i saw the sr9c and m&p9 sheild and they are both heavier than the keltecs and tuger lc9 we were looking at for her but are still smaller. just wondering if anyone that has experience with both of these could give me a comparison in reliability and accuracy. thanks for any replies
    ruger91

NRA member

I carry a sr9c. I use the extended mag because I can wrap both my little hands ( I wear a size 4 3/4 ring, your wife will know how small this is ) around it and have great control. Very little recoil. I really like this gun. I did carry the 709 but the recoil was more and I didn't have as good of control because of the smaller grip. Sorry, I dont have the m&p9
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

I dont know if its just my SR9c but it is slightly hard to rack the slide. I can do it but my wife cannot. that may be something you want to look at.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

thanks for your help once again minimalbrat i like that the sr9c has the option for the 10 rd or 17 rd and its lil less expensive than the sheild. thanks again
    ruger91

NRA member

I have shot all three and own an LC9.

If I didn't already have an LC9 and a custom holster for it that I love (thanks to Garrity's Gunleather - IWB Holsters and his Incognito holster), I would totally buy the S&W Shield.

I kind of like my LC9 for it's intended use. I shoot well with it, I like the weight, size and shape of it. I wish the slide was stainless, as after wearing it for a week in very hot humid weather this past summer there was some surface rust starting to show on the slide.

I have to say I really disliked the SR9C when I shot it. I just didn't get along with it.

I liked the Shield a lot. I shot well with it, liked the trigger, and the slide is coated stainless.
    NRA Life Member

I have an SR9c with almost 3000 flawless rounds through it. I haven't gotten my hands on a Shield but from what I have read it is a good pistol but more in the class of the LC9 than the SR9c.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

you might take a look at the Bersa BP 9CC which is similar in size to the Sheild. Very easy to rack the slide and a very nice single stack 9mm for carry. I lost interest in a Sheild
    after acquiring two of the Bersas. They are really good guns.

I have the SR9C and an M&P9C, and they both would also make a great pistol for a female. My 20 year old daughter has laid claim to both my SR9C and M&P9C as she
    loved shooting both at the range. Recoil is very mild, and they are both dead nuts accurate and reliable.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I own the Sr9C if you want a double stack then it is a fine weapon. Ruger did a fine job of keeping it as narrow as they can for a double stack. I carry it with the 10 round
    Mag most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchSR9C View Post
    I dont know if its just my SR9c but it is slightly hard to rack the slide. I can do it but my wife cannot. that may be something you want to look at.
    When i got my brand new sr9c i could not rack the side lol. Not even move it. Hubby and son racked it and racked it for a few days because they said it really was tight then handed it to me. It took me two weeks to be able to rack that thing well enough to load and unload it. I wasn't allowed to shoot it until I could use it property. Maybe you just need to rack yours more.
    ClutchSR9C likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    thanks for your help once again minimalbrat i like that the sr9c has the option for the 10 rd or 17 rd and its lil less expensive than the sheild. thanks again
    17 + 1 is what I carry. If I have to defend myself I am not messing around lol. My husband really likes my gun. He kept saying it is a bit to big and a bit to heavy for you. He said this before I bought it too lol. You need to use your 709. lol he can eat cheese he is not getting my gun. I have about 1000 rounds through it so far with no problems.

Links