I am officially addicted to the 1911

This is a discussion on I am officially addicted to the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Yetiman You got that right !!! I might have to steal that for in my signature line... (13 1911's and counting over ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: I am officially addicted to the 1911

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post
    You got that right !!!

I might have to steal that for in my signature line...
    (13 1911's and counting over here)
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    I understand....I have Sigs and HKs and I love them, however, there is just something that makes me wanna fire those 1911s. I fact, looking now at a C3 Sig 1911....if anyone has a report on these....good or bad, please post. Here are my favs....

Of course this one is a piece of commemortive jewelry to pass on....Simper Fi

^^^^^^^^^^OK^^^^^^^

You guys are rubbing it in to those of us who are 1911-less.

Whose gunsafes are barren of slabsides, whose ears have never heard the pitter-patter of .45 casings hitting the floor,
    Whose fingers have never caressed the familiar grips of an American icon.

But I digress,,

Great find Smolk, wow, $475!

Buddy of mine had a Springfield back when we were 19 or so, and it was fun to shoot but I don't recall being able to hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with it.
    More likely us than the pistol though.
    One of these days I'm
    gonna have to get on the bandwagon.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

I dont have one yet, but have been itching for one bad! Those are all nice looking 1911's!
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Amen. Love my Kimber 1911's.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    I understand....I have Sigs and HKs and I love them, however, there is just something that makes me wanna fire those 1911s. I fact, looking now at a C3 Sig 1911....if anyone has a report on these....good or bad, please post. Here are my favs....

Of course this one is a piece of commemortive jewelry to pass on....Simper Fi

Well, there goes this pair of pants. Thanks for that.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I love my Colt 1911's, the triggers are fantastic but when push comes to shove, I'm grabbing an HK product or a Beretta 92 FS.

I'm funny in that I like a pistol that's as close to totally reliable as possible to defend my family's lives or mine.

Here's what Larry Vickers thinks of the 1911 :

"If youíre about to surrender to the 100-year-old call of John Moses Browning, weíre here to help. You can probably count as many Model 1911 configurations as stars in the sky. So to make sense of all the choices, we enlisted a guy who knows his way around the 1911 like Darrell Waltrip knows his way around Daytona.

As the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Deltaís primary firearms instructor, Larry Vickers worked in a place that put more than a million rounds a year through 1911s. Heís a founding member of the International Defensive Pistol Association and is a member of the American Pistolsmiths Guild. When he says heís seen everything that can go wrong with a 1911, I believe him.

ďNow, I shoot a Glock,Ē Vickers tells me. ďMake sure you tell guys that the 1911 is a pain in the ass. If they donít like messing around with the pistol and spending a grand to really get it tuned, then they should forget it.Ē

Modern pistol designs have made the 1911 obsolete in itís role as a combat sidearm. Itís finicky and demands constant attention that a warfighter canít afford to offer. But when itís tuned and running well, itís the most accurate pistol out there.

Warnings aside, the pistolís appeal is strong and romantic. Picking up the pistol feels like shaking hands with John Wayne. It shoots man-sized rounds and, when tuned, it shoots a quarter-sized group at 50 yards.

But the 1911 is not a plug-and-play platform. Even a $2,000 semi-custom 1911 likely will need a pricey trip to a gunsmith for tweaking. Changing out all but the simplest parts will demand expert hand filing and fitting."

Link: Read this before you buy your first 1911 | Military Times GearScout
    Beans likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Welcome to my world, you are on the right track. Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Nice looking gun.

Tell me about it. Yep, 1911s are truly addicting. I'll admit to it for sure. I have too many already and have another on the way (a Sig 1911 Carry Scorpion). Hopefully, this will be the last one for awhile at least.

I have been eyeing one of these at my local shop
    SW108483FC.jpg

I'm not sure if I will go that route or not. I also want the Kimber Ultra Covert and I also REALLY want a GI model Colt. Oh, and I like the Springer EMP, and did I mention that Dan Wesson cbob, and the Sig C3. I have a disease!

My Kimber Pro Carry 2 is my most accurate, but I am loving this little sub $500 jewel.

Thanks for the pics of your guns, I never grow tired of looking at them.

Distinguished Member
    I feel worse, don't have one. Yet. Definitely my next purchase. I really like that pic of the Kobra Carry. I think I'll go to their website and drool now.

To the OP, I love the grips and the minimal two tone, being just the barrel and trigger.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    I love my Colt 1911's, the triggers are fantastic but when push comes to shove, I'm grabbing an HK product or a Beretta 92 FS.

I'm funny in that I like a pistol that's as close to totally reliable as possible to defend my family's lives or mine.

Here's what Larry Vickers thinks of the 1911 :

[B]"If you’re about to surrender to the 100-year-old call of John Moses Browning, we’re here to help. You can probably count as many Model 1911 configurations as stars in the sky. So to make sense of all the choices, we enlisted a guy who knows his way around the 1911 like Darrell Waltrip knows his way around Daytona.

As the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta’s primary firearms instructor, Larry Vickers worked in a place that put more than a million rounds a year through 1911s. He’s a founding member of the International Defensive Pistol Association and is a member of the American Pistolsmiths Guild. When he says he’s seen everything that can go wrong with a 1911, I believe him.

“Now, I shoot a Glock,” Vickers tells me. “[/url]
    If things would go wrong and i had to carry a weapon where they was little or no maintenance supplies available I would also chose a Glock for my handgun and the AK for my rifle.

Both seem to run on almost no maintenance if they have to.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have three and negotiating for my 4 (Colt New agent) once you shoot a colt 1911 you'll never go back colt defender2 web.jpgkimber 1911 small.jpgPara 1911 small.jpg
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    I have three and negotiating for my 4 (Colt New agent) once you shoot a colt 1911 you'll never go back
    Is that first one a New Agent? I don't think I have ever seen one with Novak style sights, she sure is a beauty! I need one of those immediately.

I swear, I could spend $25,000 on 1911's and still not have all the ones I wanted. And then I'd have to burn at least $10k in ammo to shoot them all! And I thought I was going to save money by giving up golf!

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    If things would go wrong and i had to carry a weapon where they was little or no maintenance supplies available I would also chose a Glock for my handgun and the AK for my rifle.

Both seem to run on almost no maintenance if they have to.
    Guess I'll still have a 1911 as my automatic pistol choice under the same circumstances because I don't own a Glock but am willing to own 1911s, even despite Vickers' opinion.
    smolck and msgt/ret like this.
    ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Guess I'll still have a 1911 as my automatic pistol choice under the same circumstances because I don't own a Glock but am willing to own 1911s, even despite Vickers' opinion.
    I have a hard time taking advice from Larry "I eat too many delicious things" Vickers. Oh, and funny enough he raved about the 1911 and did some IDPA courses and so forth on one of his episodes of "Tac TV" last season. Funny how his mind changes when Nighthawk Customs sponsors his show and also makes a Larry Vickers edition 1911 pistol (or used to anyways).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links