Thinking of trading my CM9 for a Sig 938....

This is a discussion on Thinking of trading my CM9 for a Sig 938.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I got the CM9, I really had my eye on the Sig 238, but wanted to stay with a 9 and the 938 was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of trading my CM9 for a Sig 938....

Thinking of trading my CM9 for a Sig 938....

When I got the CM9, I really had my eye on the Sig 238, but wanted to stay with a 9 and the 938 was not even mentioned yet. Now that the 938 is available I really have the urge to trade in my CM9. I have not had any trouble with the Kahr, just really like the feel of the 938. Any recommendations from the Sig or Kahr fans?

2. Remove Ads

i've had both and they are great little pistols... I'd say get what you want! Think if you are ok with a single action carry pistol with a safety vs a dao pistol without one. Price is almost double also. Best of luck

I'd do it. I carry the P238 everyday.

I had a Kahr CW9 once. Would I recommend the P938 over the Kahr anyday? Absolutely.

If you want a Kahr, get their metal framed pistols. They're pretty nice.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Have you shot a P938? If not, is there a way you can arrange to do so? It's a fine pistol, but you want to shoot it, if possible, before making a decision.

The P938 is still new. I would suggest waiting until they've been out for at least a year. Some reports of bugs out there, like there seem to be with any new gun model nowadays.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

After having my Kahr CM9 for about 6 months now, and shot other 9mm's on occasion for comparison of feel, reliability, and accuracy, i.e.-Shield, SR9c, LC9, PT709, etc., I wouldn't trade it for anything. The perfect little pistol IMHO.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I never did understand why a perfectly good pistol would be sold off to fund other pistol of that has only one real difference, a shorter trigger pull but with a heavier trigger pull. Maybe look to buy a larger kahr for iwb and range fun like cw, p or tp9. But hay , your dollars.

as a happy CM-9 owner, my advice is to buy a 938 first, if finances allow. then shoot both side by side, until you know which one you prefer, then sell, keep, or trade the other.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    as a happy CM-9 owner, my advice is to buy a 938 first, if finances allow. then shoot both side by side, until you know which one you prefer, then sell, keep, or trade the other.
    +1

You may think you like the Sig better, but you won't know until you shoot it. And a side-by-side comparison range session (or two or five) would be your best option.

Either way you go, you'll have an excellent CCW (or two!).

I would not sell Kahr for Sig. I would do the same as the other person said. Buy Sig and after shooting both and carrying both make a choice.
    For CCW it is hard to be Kahr. I like Sigs but not single action. It is more personal choice.
    Vodek

Went to LGS to take a closer look. After handling it I was convinced I had to have it. Found a buyer for my CM9. Then I started looking at reviews and issues people are having with the 938. I realize there are lemons in all brands, but I certainly don't want to go backwards and am rethinking this whole idea. One of the things I don't like about my Kahr is the sights. But that can be changed to some nice night sights for a lot less than trading. For now, I think I may put this on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
    Then I started looking at reviews and issues people are having with the 938. I realize there are lemons in all brands, but I certainly don't want to go backwards and am rethinking this whole idea.
    I'll only add this with regard to your statement, the internet is a wonderfully "horrible" thing. When I went to buy a Kimber, all I heard was "they all suck", "nothing but FTF", "alloy frames suck", "kimber mags all fail" and so on and so on. I bought the Pro Carry 2 anyways and it has been FLAWLESS with the factory mags no less.

Then I went to get my most recent compact 1911, again I read a lot of "you can't buy a good 1911 for less than $700" and "3 inch 1911's are not reliable" and so forth. Again, all those naysayers didn't deter me and I again landed a wonderful weapon (Citadel Compact) that has been great so far (300 rounds or so).

My point is this, the internet has created a LOT of "experts" who will clog up forums with hate for a pistol that may or may not have an issue. I cringe to think how many Kimber Ultra owners write on forums of FTE's and poor Kimber quality when they are just limp wristed and can't handle the recoil of a light .45 acp.

If you like the gun, go for it. Life's too short.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I had a CM9 for a short time (500 rounds). Fine gun, but felt too "mousy" for me.

Very interesting thread.. I'm considering my first CCW gun, and the 938 and the CM9 are extremely high up on my list. The 938 is much more costly.. but a price can't be put on something that you'll have with you every say of the week for protection. If you decide to get the 938 I'd love to hear your thoughts

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I don't see what the problem is. If you're going to base your decision to not purchase a CC weapon based solely on the poor opinions of select internet reviews from questionable sources, you get (or don't get) what's coming to you.

Buy the gun. Shoot the gun. If you like the gun, you keep the gun. If you don't, you sell it. Pretty freakin' simple.

I've had my 938 for about three weeks now and just love it. Its not failed one time in about 225 rounds now and is very accurate. In my book, this little gun is definitely a winner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links