glock36 and xds

glock36 and xds

This is a discussion on glock36 and xds within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i went to my local range today and they were having a "springfield days" event. I was able to test shoot a xd-s .45. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: glock36 and xds

glock36 and xds

So i went to my local range today and they were having a "springfield days" event. I was able to test shoot a xd-s .45. Before today i was
    planning on purchasing a glock36 for an every day concealed carry. Well now i'm torn. I was honestly hoping i would shoot it and not be as
    impressed as other people have been. Both .45's are right around the same msrp, but the xd-s is very hard to find and if i pre-order one from my local range i'm not sure when i'll receive it. I can purchase a glock36 at anytime as they are almost always in stock.

I'm asking for opinions and or suggestions from you forum-goers. Thanks

VIP Member
    Ford or Chevy as with most Glock/XD comparisons.

Personally, I own two G36s. I have never really liked the XD design.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

GLOCK!! Hands Down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Glock!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

i sold my 36 got a pm45 sold that have an xds and love it... much smaller and it can actually fit in some of my pockets. I usually carry iwb but a pocket 45 is nice from time to time! Get the xds and don't look back. If the g36 fixed their ugly long magazine i'd be singing a different tune!

i love my g36. hard to beat a glock for a all around good gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

XDS owner checking in! I love my XDS, I shoot it every week and aside from it not liking wadcutters or semi-wadcutters it is fantastic. My LGS has several glocks in the rental rack so I checked out a G36, I have to admit its a great shooting weapon but the grip was a bit slick for my taste and the recoil was signifigantly more than my XDS. That said Springer totally ripped off the glock trigger, it was/is hard to tell a difference between the two triggers. Much different than my other XD and XDM.

IMO the new two tone XDS is sexy looking. Aesthetically speaking the XDS wins.

NachO

The XDs is a new design ergonomic and shoots well out of the box. Glocks are a dime a dozen around here. In fact, the west coast Glock dealer has killer deals on glocks for us military and LEO's... I still prefer the XD..

Being out of stock means there are many out there waiting for their XDs. Why not visit the XD forum and have a look see as to what they like/dislike about the XDs?

My personal reasons for liking the XD over the Glock:
    1. They come with three back straps so I can custom fit to my hand.
    2. I have big hands. When I go range shooting, I like the extended mags. When carrying, I like the standard mags as it prints less.
    3. It has an awesome trigger... it a short reset trigger. It’s firm with minimal take up, but not particularly heavy. The break is crisp. Reset takes minor forward travel. The sear re-engages with a commanding audible click and considerable tactical feedback.
    4. I like to see the top of the slide to verify if I have a round in the chamber or not.
    5. No Glock guys’ short-stroke problems.
    6. The rear sights take advantage of the entire slide from back to front. They mount the rear sight at the back of the slide. Glock has their back sight about 1/4"-1/2" in from the back of the slide making aiming a bit harder in my opinion because of the short distance between the front and rear sight...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Get the Glock. Order the XDs. Shoot the hell out of the Glock. When the Springy arrives, shoot the hell out of it. Keep the one you like best, sell the other. Or keep them both and you'll have a New York reload.

That's me. Problem solver.
    Brad426, VBVAGUY, wormy and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Never buy a first year anything.

That Glock 36 is one Heck of a Gun!
    10thmtn likes this.

I think the G36 is a great gun but I think it is large for what it is. It's almost dimensionally equal to the G19. I'd take 15+1 of 9mm over 6+1 .45 any day of the week. Personally, I think the XDS is also big for what it is. Id rather have a G26 with 10+1 of 9mm in a slightly thicker but less tall configuration than I would 5+1 of .45. So, all things being equal if I had to choose one I would choose the XDS because it is the most size efficient in my opinion (but still large for what you get).
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have a 36 and have no regrets. I've not shot an XD so I'm unable to compare. I have a G19 and enjoy shooting it. It carries well but I prefer the 36 for EDC

Let us know what you decide.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Thanks for all the replies. My intention was not to get a ford vs. chevy thread going, i just wanted to get opinions of people who have shot/carried one or the other or
    both.

I think i'm going to go see how long a wait the xd-s will be if i decided to order one and go from there. If i do end up with the xd-s and decide i do no like it, i don't
    think it will be hard to get rid of.

Thanks again for all the replies and i will update once i make a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by jshubes22 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. My intention was not to get a ford vs. chevy thread going, i just wanted to get opinions of people who have shot/carried one or the other or
    both.

I think i'm going to go see how long a wait the xd-s will be if i decided to order one and go from there. If i do end up with the xd-s and decide i do no like it, i don't
    think it will be hard to get rid of.

Thanks again for all the replies and i will update once i make a purchase.
    In the whole scheme of things, you will likely be happier waiting for what you really want, than settling for a dime a dozen that you can buy today to scratch an itch.

The XDs is amazingly thin and small...especially for a .45, and especially compared to a Glock.

And, if somebody says they don't like XD firearms, you have to remember this new XDs is a radically new design from the other lineup.

GH
    I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd lean toward Glock because I had a Glock 23 & for a short while a Glock 21. I'm not familiar with an XD. I haven't shot a G36 or XDs but I've heard good things about both.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links