Aftermarket sights

This is a discussion on Aftermarket sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Night sights are pretty popular, nowadays. So are big dots, etc... I took a local defensive pistol course, yesterday, and the instructor was using a ...

Thread: Aftermarket sights

Aftermarket sights

Night sights are pretty popular, nowadays. So are big dots, etc...

I took a local defensive pistol course, yesterday, and the instructor was using a G17 with a fiber optic front sight and the rear was blacked out.

I've never seen this before. Have any of you tried anything similar?

I may take his course again, and I might ask him if I can try it out.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Yes, it's VERY popular in the competition circles...
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Couple of guys I shoot with run Warren fiber fronts and rears on their XDms. The rears are target sights (blacked out).

Others run TruGlo fronts and rears, mostly on M&Ps.

A guy picks up a fiber optic front pretty darn quick. And, so I am told, the all black rear will not mix you up, as there are no dots. My preference is Trijicon HD sights. A photophosphorescent front sight (yellow or orange, both very bright), and a rear sight with a nice big notch and no circles or dots. Front and rear sights have tritium inserts. So they are kind of a combat sight that does well for competition. Just my preference.

I use truglo tfo sights on my m&p 9c and they pick up really well!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I just use Trijicons. I stay away from TruGlows and other fiber optic sights. They are too fragile for a carry gun. I hear all the time about the fiber falling out of the sight. I haven't been on the XD forum in awhile but when I was there I read a lot of posts about the fiber optic sights falling apart. Just stick with metal tritium night sights and you should be good to go.
    Despite what some people might say night sights are important. I have shot at night before and the night sights do make a difference. Before someone makes the argument they compliment a flashlight not replace it. I have had targets illuminated by a flashlight and still have not been able to see the sights. This is especially true if the target is dark colored. One time at night I was trying to shoot a raccoon that was messing around camp. I had him lit up with the flashlight but I couldn't see the sights. (I didn't have night sights at that time) I had to move the flashlight back behind the pistol to see the sights to aim.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I use truglo tfo sights on my m&p 9c and they pick up really well!

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    I also love my Truglo on the Glocks. ( I don't use them in competitions)

Like these?I've tried several aftermarket sights for Glock but the FO front and Black rear is my favorite.I have Night Sights for my EDC though.I'm really wanting to try the new "Speed Sights"but they're on backorder.They're becoming popular,fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
    Like these?I've tried several aftermarket sights for Glock but the FO front and Black rear is my favorite.I have Night Sights for my EDC though.I'm really wanting to try the new "Speed Sights"but they're on backorder.They're becoming popular,fast.
    Yeah, it kinda looked like that.

I'm curious how durable they are. It looks like that fiber optic tube could easily be damaged if you dropped the pistol and it landed on the sight.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

There are some really good aftermarket sight out there. My preference is for Trijicon, or some of the other well known tritium sights.

zacii. It's not a tube.It's just a peice of fiber optic in a steel housing.It can't shatter or break.Actually when you buy Warren Tactical sights,they come with two lengths of FO,one red one green.They're super easy to exchange or replace.Additional lengths are available for a few bucks.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Yeah, it kinda looked like that.

I'm curious how durable they are. It looks like that fiber optic tube could easily be damaged if you dropped the pistol and it landed on the sight.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Then don't drop the pistol?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I currently am running different sights on each of my pistols. Here is what I've found for myself, hope it helps you:

Sig P229 with Tru-Glo fiber optic/tritium front (green), Trijicon Tritium rear two dot (green). This combination works pretty well for me being the front FO/Trit. Is larger than the rear helping to differentiate the three dots in darkness. The front is brighter than the rear dots at night by a slight margin and stands out vividly in daylight. I haven't run this combination hard, the pistol is carried every once in awhile and I haven't experienced any issues, but there isn't as much metal surrounding the FO/Tritium vial as there is on Tritium sights and if abused I would think them more fragile.

XD Service - Trijicon front and rear in green with white outlines. Standard set up and they work as intended. If I'm using Trit. Sights I prefer them to have white outlines rather than just vials.

Colt 1911 - Novak front and rear, standard white dots. While I once used Novak rear sights exclusively I find they have fallen out of favor with me and prefer a rear like 10-8's, just easier to see and center the front without Novak's recessed notch. Also I prefer to have a notched rear sight for one handed remedial action and find the standard Novak lacking there.

G23 - 10-8 Performance U Notch rear and brass bead front. These have gained my favor quickly and I plan on replacing at least my Colt's sights with a 10-8 rear. The broad flat rear sight is easy to drop in and line up the front, there is no confusion over which dot is which and queuing in on the bead front is quick due to it being the only object glaring back at me in the blacked out rear. There is ample space on either side of the front blade to be very accurate and fast. Of course there are other options for a 10-8 front such as tritium, FO, or plain, but I wanted to try out a brass bead and found that except for light so low that I couldn't identify my target anyway it is as visible as either of the other options. Clearly this is my favorite set up and the U notch is something that I didn't think I would even notice, but is very natural, more so than a squared off aperture.

Some other options I like, but don't own are the Warren variety. They are very popular and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
    zacii. It's not a tube.It's just a peice of fiber optic in a steel housing.It can't shatter or break.Actually when you buy Warren Tactical sights,they come with two lengths of FO,one red one green.They're super easy to exchange or replace.Additional lengths are available for a few bucks.
    Good to know. Shows ya what I don't know about fiber optics.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Then don't drop the pistol?
    That's plan A

But you never know when Murphy might show up

Links