Using a LCR .22 as a training tool.

This is a discussion on Using a LCR .22 as a training tool. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently joined the forum. Being "typing challenged" I much preferred to lurk for quite some time. I've had a fondness for snubbie revolvers for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Using a LCR .22 as a training tool.

Using a LCR .22 as a training tool.

I recently joined the forum. Being "typing challenged" I much preferred to lurk for quite some time. I've had a fondness for snubbie revolvers for a long while now. I recently purchased a LCR in .22 to play with. After searching the internet, the snub nosed Smiths all seemed to have an aluminum alloy based cylinder which some had seen as problematic with extensive shooting. Factoring the cost and availability with that information I decided to try the Ruger. The Ruger has been a wonderful training tool allowing me to shoot three to five hundred rounds a session with abandon. Hip shooting, point shooting,and weak hand shooting all can be cheaply practiced now, and being a .22 the fatigue is minimized. I often will shoot several cylinders of .38's mixed in with the .22's and the accuracy and continuity of the practice seems to flow naturally, no real adjustments necessary. I currently carry a 642 if carrying a snubbie and not an LCR and that is what I have been using in these shooting sessions. The trigger and sights are close enough that it seems to give me a substantial training benefit, especially when you consider the number of rounds I will now shoot. Face it live fire is the best practice, and using a double action .22 is allowing me to economically practice much more than I ever would with a standard .38 . Overall I am pleased with the LCR and feel it will pay for itself in savings of practice ammo, and wear and tear on the larger calibers. Thats about it, just wanted to get a post in to say hello.

2. Remove Ads

I love the LCR. I have not yet had a chance to get one in 22 but I will have one some day.
    RichB70 likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Pattrickg. Welcome to the forum.

I am a huge fan of using a .22 to practice with. It saves on ammo cost and shooter fatigue. I have both dedicated .22 pistols and rifles and conversion kits that duplicate my full size guns that I use for training as well as the kids shooting.

As one internet gun guy always states "trigger time is trigger time" just remember make it quality trigger time and don't get sloppy with technique. While you may be able to get away with it on the .22 the larger calibers will be less forgiving.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    cons: it probably does not have the same recoil of your primary personal defence weapon

pros:
    inexpensive to shoot so you are likely to pactice more.
    low recoil so you will likely shoot longer.
    low noise so you can concentrate more.
    cheaper way to work on your draw, stance and sight picture.

Enjoy!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Love the LCR. I have the .38, .357, and the .22LR. The only one I would even consider parting with would be the .357, it really hurts to shoot .357's in it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quality over quantity.

I don't know about you guys, but much over 50-100 rounds on one range trip is a little much for me when I'm actually TRAINING and not just putting holes in paper to see how tight I can get my groups. Furthermore, how can you call it training when you're not even using the gun you'll be using when you're trying to save a life? Double taps with a .22 are much different than double taps with a .38, 357, .45, etc.

training with a .22 is fine to develop gun safety techniques, proper grip, trigger control, sight picture etc. But to actually train for a defensive scenario, you would want to put in some range time with
    your actual centerfire firearm. The game changes completely when you are sending a 158 grain lead bullet down range vs a 40 grain bullet.

I have a Walther P22 that I use to train shooting weak hand.....and then use what I have learned to shoot weak hand with my 9mm Glock. Big difference, but the training with the .22 is invaluable.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Quality over quantity.

I don't know about you guys, but much over 50-100 rounds on one range trip is a little much for me when I'm actually TRAINING and not just putting holes in paper to see how tight I can get my groups. Furthermore, how can you call it training when you're not even using the gun you'll be using when you're trying to save a life? Double taps with a .22 are much different than double taps with a .38, 357, .45, etc.
    Hmmm...I guess I must be a bit odd then if I sometimes run 250-400 rounds in a training "day" with my EDC G19... I suppose the best that I could get out of training with MY Ruger LCR .22LR revolver would be the opportunity to work on movement and fundamentals, and maybe breathing control, revolver grip, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger control, NOT anticipating the "BOOM" of the weapon firing, etc... awww..just those little things that aren't of much use if it isn't your carry weapon...but, just in the oft chance it might also apply to my G19...Ohhhh, I guess the Ruger LCR.22LR revolver, would possibly be a good tool to train with (as the OP said), in the event I am carrying my S&W 642 as a BUG or even my primary, depending on the situation/requirements. But, after reading your comments, I think I might just need to reevaluate the reasoning as to why I might have my lil .22LR revolver at the range with me...sheesh...alllllll this contemplation is giving me a headache!!!
    Harryball likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

This use of the .22 I will recommend. That and shooting squirrels....

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum!

You're using the 22LR LCR for what Ruger intended it to be used for "Training"! Doing your drills with the 22 LR is great but here is a recommendation for finishing your pratice sessions with your 642 carry: 1 Cylinder using two hand grip, 1 Cylinder using the weak hand, and 1 Cylinder using the strong hand. 15 rounds and it builds muscle memory with your carry piece.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I have the LCR in .38 and I love it. I will probably get the .22 version within the nest year or so. .22's make great practice pistols. There are things I may be doing that I don't recognize under the recoil of the full power rounds. Also, .22's are a whole lot cheaper to shoot.

How does the trigger compare to the LCR .38?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    How does the trigger compare to the LCR .38?
    Unfortunately it sucks compared to the 38/357.

I've heard of them as low as ten lbs, but both of them that I shot were at least twelve...

Same manua lof arms, but for sure not the same trigger...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I recently purchased a LCR in .22 to play with."

I'm surprised you didn't draw flak for that statement. I have a .22 conversion kit for my Glock 30. While it's lighter, and recoil is less, it shoots the same triggerwise. Any practice is good. 100 rounds of .22 as a warm up for the .45 works for me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Relax Thunder71, it's all good.

I am unfortunately not a youngster any longer,and have been shooting for many years. My post was not meant to be a definitive training schedule for all, it was merely a review of an LCR and it's compatibility of training with a Smith & Wesson snubbie. I was surprised how little if any adjustment there was bouncing back and forth between the two, I honestly expected more. The recoil difference you mentioned in regards to double taps is pretty much a non-issue for myself. I have rather large arms and wrists and have the recoil sensitivity of a brick, and as I stated I am still shooting the .38's when shooting the .22. My main point was it allows me more trigger time with a gun that is very similar in size, weight, and trigger pull as a carry gun I own. Simple economics of $18.00 for a box of fivehundredfifty rounds vs. $18.00 for a box of fifty practice rounds is also a plus. It's all good when you can easily transfer the skills between guns. It may not be for everyone, but it seemed to work pretty well for me when trying it out. I did not mean to ruffle any feathers I just wanted to pass along my findings. I was actually surprised that both shot so similar overall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links