STI reputation

This is a discussion on STI reputation within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I moved to Austin seven years ago and just realized STI International is located about 35 miles north of me. I visited their website and ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By goawayfarm

Thread: STI reputation

STI reputation

I moved to Austin seven years ago and just realized STI International is located about 35 miles north of me. I visited their website and really liked their 1911s. Is STI considered a good manufacturer?
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

2. Remove Ads

Yes indeed. Of course according to some, all 1911's are unreliable and will get you killed (sooner or later)

STI is a reliable manufacturer, and their guns are frequently used as the base for full-race competition guns. I see a number of them weekly at the steel matches I shoot, and I understand that they stand behind their guns if problems arise.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Local shooting instructor swears by them. I trust his opinions on most things. I have limited experience with them.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    At Ayoob's last MAG 40 I sponsored we had two Spartan's in 45 acp that ran perfectly/

VIP Member
    If I am not mistaken Tricolordad has an STI in .40 cal I think.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    I have a STI Trojan 5.0. Well made & reliable. This is getting close to a 'custom gun' without the crazy prices. I would not hesitate to purchase another one.
    Attached Images
    smolck, WHEC724 and BurgerBoy like this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I have a STI Trojan 5.0. Well made & reliable. This is getting close to a 'custom gun' without the crazy prices. I would not hesitate to purchase another one.
    That is one pretty 1911.

VIP Member
    It is a pretty good looking firearm. It doesn't get shot as often as some of my other 1911s, but it is the one that I keep in my go-bag, along with spare magazines & holster.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links