Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol - Page 2

Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol

This is a discussion on Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been quite happy with my sig 228. But, if I were to reinvent the wheel: Ergonomics of a Berreta Neos. Integrated rail of ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol

I have been quite happy with my sig 228. But, if I were to reinvent the wheel:

Ergonomics of a Berreta Neos.
    Integrated rail of the Neos
    Chambered for .357 with the recoil of a .22
    Trijicons sights
    Integrated green laser (I am not a laser guy but what the heck)
    No plastic, I like steel
    15 round mag
    No safety
    Striker, not hammer
    User adjustable trigger to include pre-travel.
    Barrel would be 3.83 " (just because Sixto is building a custom one for me )
    SN would be hidden from view to mess with LE during a stop (all in good fun)
    Threaded for suppressor.
    SA
    Action does not have to be super tight nor a tack driver at 25 yards. Reliability like my 228 or (yuck) Glock in bad envormental conditions.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I have been quite happy with my sig 228. But, if I were to reinvent the wheel:

Ergonomics of a Berreta Neos.
    Integrated rail of the Neos
    Chambered for .357
    Trijicons sights
    Integrated green laser (I am not a laser guy but what the heck)
    No plastic, I like steel
    15 round mag
    No safety
    Striker, not hammer
    User adjustable trigger to include pre-travel.
    Barrel would be 3.83 " (just because Sixto is building a custom one for me )
    SN would be hidden from view to mess with LE during a stop (all in good fun)
    Threaded for suppressor.
    SA
    Action does not have to be super tight nor a tack driver at 25 yards. Reliability like my 228 or (yuck) Glock in bad envormental conditions.
    That sounds like a walther PPQ in .40 with a .357Sig threaded barrel....less the tunable trigger and 15rds part, but pretty close.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Administrator
    I too have been more than happy with my 228. But, I'm toying with the idea of getting away from the mighty 228 in favor of a new flavor.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That sounds like a walther PPQ in .40 with a .357Sig threaded barrel....less the tunable trigger and 15rds part, but pretty close.

Not quite, PPQ has small rail underneath. Neos is on top and can have a scope or red dot.
    Beretta_Model_U22_Neos_-_22_calibre_JPG.jpg
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

JD
    Administrator
    Not quite, PPQ has small rail underneath. Neos is on top and can have a scope or red dot.
    I can't see a top rail like that on a carry gun, holster selection would be zero unless Sixto wants to get into Kydex holster making on his "spare" time.

Administrator
    I'm not big on electronic sights on a pistol; so I doubt I'd add a top rail. This is to be a working gun, not some Buck Rogers fantasy blaster that is fun on the range but pretty much useless in the real world.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I can't see a top rail like that on a carry gun, holster selection would be zero unless Sixto wants to get into Kydex holster making on his "spare" time.

The question was what would I like,,,not what was feasible I can't really think of any major feasible improvement on my 228. Been all over the world with it. But it is a nice mental exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not big on electronic sights on a pistol; so I doubt I'd add a top rail. This is to be a working gun, not some Buck Rogers fantasy blaster that is fun on the range but pretty much useless in the real world.
    I agree. I don't use optics. But I do have one for my wifes Neos to see how accurate we are at 75 yds +. Carry gun should be simplistic, reliable, and have an ergonomic advantage for the individual shooter. No more, no less.

Senior Moderator
    I would love to take a 686+ have a trigger job, install no snag sights, and have it milled to accept moon clips. That is my lottery gun
    cthruit likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Administrator
    I agree. I don't use optics. But I do have one for my wifes Neos to see how accurate we are at 75 yds +. Carry gun should be simplistic, reliable, and have an ergonomic advantage for the individual shooter. No more, no less.
    I'm OK with em on a plinker... I have one on one of my Rugers. It is fun for sure.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glock 19 Covert.....grip reduced to accept Glock 26 mags fitting flush.....the perfect no frills carry gun.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Maybe a really nice Colt 1911 in .38 Super. That's MY lottery gun!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My Glock 19 would be perfect if the grip was just a little bit longer.

I'd say a stock PPQ or maybe the Beretta Storm PX 4 Compac would just a bout cover it; awesome pistols IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OK, we all know nothing is perfect. But lets try... What if you had a healthy budget to build a practical, user friendly working pistol. What platform would you start with? What changes would you make? What accessories, bolts ons or internal modifications would you go with?

Remember that this is to be a working gun. No bling and the only flash comes from the muzzle.

And those who have been around for a while will guess- This is the precursor to another Sixto Project.
    Generically, charactoristics include being comfortable to shoot, easy to develop muscle-memory to draw, and does't snag.

Specifically, I personaly favor the SpringfieldXD.45 with the 5.25"barrel. This weapon is easy for me to acquire a sight picture with and comfortable to shoot. I would like to add a heavy slide rod, a ported barrel and a trigger kit to reduce pull weight and distance.

I also want to add a green laser but am having a hard time making up my mind on which model to get.

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links