Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol

This is a discussion on Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock 30SF with a Ghost Rocket Trigger cut to a 1911 reset. That's it for me. No lasers or lights. Maybe some night sights....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Glock 30SF with a Ghost Rocket Trigger cut to a 1911 reset. That's it for me. No lasers or lights. Maybe some night sights.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

A good fighting gun huh?

Hmmm first off I'd think a fighting gun would be something between a service sized gun, and a compact. Or either or. I'd make three submissions.

1) A S&W model 13 3"bbl, round butt with grips to suit the owner.
    2) A Browning high power.
    3) A Browning high power compact. (If you can find one)
    Did I say three?... well... who's counting...
    4) A styer M9 or M40 as is.

Dan Wesson CCO with Crimson Trace Master Series Grips and I'm wearing it right now!!
    357and40 likes this.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Perfect SD pistol

Small gun -- a Seecamp

Medium gun - a SA/DA Sig 232

Big gun ----- a Sig 226

My 220 Compact, except with a capacity of 10 rounds (mag capacity is only 6 in "real" life)
    some upgraded sights and thinner grip.

I fired an S&W 1911 thiss weekend and was impressed with the accuracy and really short, light trigger pull. It was a full 5" barrel and they ofer a 3" carry version, so based on my preferences I'd probably plan on purchasing the 3" version for everyday carry.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

VIP Member
    Glock 26 with night sights.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Glock 19 3rd generation.

Right out of the box, no mods.

(Okay, maybe night sights.)

I'd like a full sized M&P in .45, it has good ergonomics and capacity.

But, I'd prefer a glock-esque trigger and reset, that is the main downfall of the stock M&P line

Front night sight, white dot or plain rear sight.

Depending on the role, a Streamlight under the barrel (yes for HD or OC, no for CC)

And I'd actually put a Crimson trace backstrap on it as well.

I think that would be a rather solid fighting pistol.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

But, I'd prefer a glock-esque trigger and reset, that is the main downfall of the stock M&P line

Depending on the role, a Streamlight under the barrel (yes for HD or OC, no for CC)

Pretty much this^^^^^^^

Add :

apex trigger kit
    Mini red dot sight
    iron sights tall enough to work with RDS
    guide rod laser or light/laser combo
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

I like how you think

IMO, an M&P trigger with a DCAEK, and a Glock reset would be the bomb.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

.38 Special and .357 Magnum K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers with barrels 2 to 4 inches in length.

Colt Government Model .45 automatics

Colt Detective Special .38 Special revolvers with 2 to 3 inch barrels

Browning High-Power 9mms

I'm fixed up.

Accessories not really even required.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Many things come into play when considering a carry gun. First- consider your aggressor. I prefer to be prepared for at least 3 aggressors in a fast-ambush scenario. I also consider it combat. My rules of combat are to have more and better firepower than the enemy and to be better trained. You also have to be first on the trigger. The following are things to consider but not necessarily in order of precedence or me....

1- It has to be something you will actually carry. A smaller size gun is nice but I don't put as much emphasis on that as most. So is weight. Some larger guns are light and some smaller guns are relatively heavy. I personally prefer an empty weight under 30 ounces. Under 25 is better.

2- Capacity- Personal preference is over 10 rounds capacity. 12 is better. I don't care how good you can shoot on the range- you are gonna miss when bullets are coming your way. If you run out of ammo before the other guy, well then you just became a statistic.

3- Rounds with PROVEN performance. I am not talking about the opinion of some internet jockey here. Give me down to earth, one shot stop statistics. Those proven in REAL shootings. .357 mag/sig, .40 come to mind. A one shot stop that stops the aggression is what I am looking for. You don't have to terminate the aggressor to win the battle- just get him to stop shooting at you.

4- Ambidextrous function. Yes- you read that right. Right now the 1911 guys are shouting blasphemy. So are most all other brand-loyal folks. It is unfortunate that more good defensive firearms aren't ambidextrous. There are statistics out there showing you stand a chance of being shot in your gun hand. I am pretty sure some jockey will chime in on this but I believe one of the Miami shootout victims was shot in his gun hand. May he rest in peace.

5- Reliability. Bottom line is if your gun jams when it is time to pull the trigger, well, congratulations on becoming a statistic. Personal opinion varies on what constitutes reliability so I won't go there. Spending time on the range with what you are gonna carry goes a long way towards determining reliability.

6- NO grip safety. Yes- I do consider them reliable so that isn't the issue. What are you gonna do when your hand is wet (ie- bloody) and you have a less than ideal grip on your gun and it is time to be first on the trigger. For that matter what are you gonna do if you have a less than ideal on your gun when it is time to be first on the trigger? Your grip safety may not be depressed all the way. Remote scenario for sure but it is something in your control you can do to win your battle. If you don't get to the trigger first... well you know...

7- Crimson trace grip. Not some laser you have to turn on with a switch but something that comes on when you grab the grip. Your aggressor is not gonna stand still while you turn on a laser. Also, in a combat scenario I can't say you will have a chance to get that range perfect, double hand hold grip with a slow steady trigger pull at a still target. It is gonna be a pull it , point, and pull the trigger. In a flash. Unplanned. Unexpected. Rapid. Violent. First guy to put rounds on target wins. A laser will help you there. If you don't think it will then it sure as hell won't hurt.

8- NO safety. Your safety is your holster and your booger picker. The less mechanical motions required to pull the trigger the faster you put rounds on target. Remember- the first one to put rounds on target wins. Pull it. Point it. Pull the trigger. No thought process involved. Pure muscle memory. The less steps involved the better.

That ought to be enough to stir the pot....

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    A Glock 17 ( with grip chop to take G19 mags )or a G19 and the rest of the Bowie Tactical signature package.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.
    Good Answers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links