Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol

This is a discussion on Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by multistage My personal preference would be a SIG 229 Enhanced Elite platform. You can pick 9, 357, or 40. But that's just ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    My personal preference would be a SIG 229 Enhanced Elite platform. You can pick 9, 357, or 40.

But that's just me. I favor my SIGs.
    Another good answer. Might be my pick in .40.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 27, night sights. Mine also has a Lasermax guide-rod laser but that's not necessary. GAP floor plate and Garrett Industries Silent Thunder IWB.

1. G27, no thumb safety to fool with. Garrett Industries holster protects the trigger very well.
    2. 10 rounds with good stopping power. A higher capacity magazine can be carried for backup.
    3. Night sights can be argued to be of no advantage after the first shot but I'll take that one shot advantage in the dark.
    4. Lasermax is easy to turn on, the switch is exactly where your trigger finger is on draw.
    5. GAP floor plate gives better draw and control.
    6. G27 conceals well.

Have the best of both worlds....

zonker1986 and Geronimo45 like this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

If I were looking for a revolver it would be a 3" 686, (6 shot ok I am a dinosaur) cut for moon clips, action job, front night sight, rear cylinder and slide site they put on the night guards.

If I were looking for an auto the first thing would be to base it off of an awesome cartridge like the 10 mm or the 357 Sig, leaning towards the 357 Sig for the slightly smaller package. I would look at the new lone wolf G19 sized frame and the 4" bbl, build from there with TFO's and a good 3.5 connector.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    Have the best of both worlds....

That is just so wrong.
    pfries and BigJon10125 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That is just so wrong.
    But how could I resist?
    I am not criminal but am mischievous
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The CZ 2075 RAMI is a great effort, yes. Though, at 6.5in, fairly full grip circumference and 26oz, it's not something that has leveraged modern materials very strongly. And the "compact" P-01/PCR variants of the 75-series are decent pistols with bomb-proof simplicity and reliability, but there too large to be justifiable for what current materials could allow. I'm betting something far more compact can be designed, yet still retain all the great features of the basic Hi-Power. CZ should be able to come up with something like this, you're right.
    My wife loves her CZ Rami 2075 BD... Great little shooter... Fits in the same holsters I have for my S&W M&P 40c.

Back to the topic at hand though... I have heard much positive on the Para-Warthog and would like to try one out.
    I am partial to the 1911 platform but my Colt Stainless Commander is just a bit heavy for EDC.
    I have zero complaints about my S&W M&P40c with CT Grips. I keep coming back to carrying that as my primary.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

An AR-15 pistol. Add a tac light, red dot, single-point sling. If you like suffering, get the upper in .458 SOCOM to take care of charging rhinos.

For a proper handgun, the Walther PPQ in 9mm with a tac light and red dot sight. I really love the PPQ trigger and grip, and I think red dots on pistols are the wave of the future. Tac lights are just handy.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    My wife loves her CZ Rami 2075 BD... Great little shooter... Fits in the same holsters I have for my S&W M&P 40c.

Back to the topic at hand though... I have heard much positive on the Para-Warthog and would like to try one out.
    I am partial to the 1911 platform but my Colt Stainless Commander is just a bit heavy for EDC.
    I have zero complaints about my S&W M&P40c with CT Grips. I keep coming back to carrying that as my primary.
    the M&P40C is really hard to beat for the perfect carry gun, IMO. Pefect feel, accuracy and reliability, capacity to size, and in a very good DRT caliber. (DRT is a term used my one of
    my Deputy friends...Dead Right There...must be a Southern thing).
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Personally, any of the 'wonder-polymers' from the established makers would be 'OK'.........but I'd like it 'slimed down' a bit. I carry a G23 and I believe it'd be near perfect it came in a 'slim' model with no less than 10 rounds (think staggard magizine vice a 'stacked' mag). The Glock platform, in general, is as 'bulkey' a sidearm as I like. The Sig and Whalter offerings are good 'uns but as a 'fighting' pistol I still have some reversations...... I just have limited experience with 'em.

A 'chopped' Hi Powed really sounds like a good idea.

Quality night sights that are easily aquired in most lighting situations are a must. I'm looking at these
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Well obviously there would not be one gun to fit everyone. The trend nowadays it to stuff as big a caliber as possible into the smallest gun possible which is not always the best thing to do. Everyone conceals differently, has different body sizes, hand sizes and some are more recoil sensitive than others.

A defensive handgun has to be big enough to fight with but small enough to conceal. I have several small framed handguns that are fantastic to conceal but you give up controlability, grip size, good sights and accuracy. I have full size handguns that shoot one ragged hole but are more difficult to conceal so it is simply a trade off as to how far you want to go.

My criteria is pretty simple.

1. Size, no larger than a Commander size/Glock 19 for a strictly concealed carry gun.

2. Good fixed night sights. Remember night sights are not there to help you identify a target but allow you to see the sights in low light. You do not really need adjustable sights on a defensive firearm.

3. A rail for mounting a light. This feature allows you to identify the threat before firing.

4. DA/SA/DAO is all up to the skill and comfort level of the shooter. Each has their own attributes and drawbacks. I personally have no issue with any of them with the only exception being the traditional DA since the trigger pull of the first shot will be different than the next, but that is simply a training issue. It does no good to have a defensive sidearm but you lack the training, skillset or confidence to carry a round in the chamber.

5. Crisp, clean trigger. Not so light that you will mistakenly pop a round off but not so liability conscious that you have to have a key and a winch to get a round to go off. No need for adjustable triggers either.

6. Caliber? Again shooters choice. 9mm is fine with me. Again many feel stuffing a large caliber in a small gun is the bomb I simply disagree. This combination leads to more recoil, muzzle flash and GENERALLY they are harder to shoot and obtain the same level of accuracy with a larger gun It goes back to the old saying. "Carry as large a caliber as you can shoot quickly and accurately". I stick with standard service calibers .380 ACP, 9mm, .45 ACP, .38/.357. I do not own any .40's anymore. Nothing wrong with the caliber I simply feel there is nothing a .40 can do that the 9mm can't.

7. Magazine capacity appropriate to caliber. Eight to ten rounds is plenty as long as you are carrying spare mags. If you can fit more without making the grip ungodly large then go for it. The idea of interchangable backstraps was genius.

8. Magazines that are as tough or tougher than the gun. How often do you intentionally drop your handgun from chest high onto the ground? Not often if ever on purpose. You can't say the same things about your mags.

9. Reliability is key. Simple direct and to the point. No major internal mods needed. Out of the box it should be ready to rock with no break in period. Choose the ammo that the gun likes not that you like.

10. A finish that resists corrosion and is not flashy. Yep nickel or stainless guns look good but they can also reflect light which in some cases may interfere with your sight picture and there may be a time where you want to covertly draw your weapon. Something shiny in your hand may be more noticed than something subdued.

11. The ability to obtain internal parts, magaziness and service if needed. A super duper custom magnum blaster may be great til something goes wrong and you have to send it off to work on it or have to special order parts or mags.

As I stated I own and carry some of everything. Most if not all fit into the listed criteria. Some of the ones I carry most often are in no particular order:

Para Carry 9
    Glock 19 with WML
    SIG P6/225 9mm
    S&W .38 Pro Port
    Browning Hi Power 9mm
    SA TRP .45 ACP
    S&W M&P 9mm's.

It all depends on weather, where I am going i.e. on the Harley and what I will be doing when I reach my destination. It is all a personal choice.
    Bad Bob and SIXTO like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

My MP 9 is a nice start so far

I think for CC I would like it with a little grip chop and/or like more of a bobtail, a melt job, a tiny bit thinner even give up a couple rounds, a 4" barrel, I'd get rid of the rail and have that area smoothed and narrowed.

The trigger doesn't bother me but maybe it would if I had shot one of the aftermarket kits.

OC or HD lights and lasers on current gun would probably be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Personally, any of the 'wonder-polymers' from the established makers would be 'OK'.........but I'd like it 'slimed down' a bit. I carry a G23 and I believe it'd be near perfect it came in a 'slim' model with no less than 10 rounds (think staggard magizine vice a 'stacked' mag). The Glock platform, in general, is as 'bulkey' a sidearm as I like. The Sig and Whalter offerings are good 'uns but as a 'fighting' pistol I still have some reversations...... I just have limited experience with 'em.

A 'chopped' Hi Powed really sounds like a good idea.

Quality night sights that are easily aquired in most lighting situations are a must. I'm looking at these
    I really like XS Big Dots. They make target acquisition very fast. Your brain can process lining up two things faster than three. All you do is "dot the i". They are not a competition accuracy sight, but a fast acquisition sight. They definitely serve the purpose there.
    Personally, I would rather have a laser than night sights. One muzzle flash in a darkened situation & your night sights are useless. Granted, if your battery fails so is your laser. Train like it is not there AND train using it & you are prepared for either way.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

You're gonna get a million different replies. If this is going to be a Sixto project, then Sixto needs to define some boundaries.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    It's a little on the large side, and my work attire presently wouldn't make it easy to carry concealed. However, when I retire, I've been thinking about a double-stack 1911. Maybe start with either a Para or STI, and have budget to make whatever refinements that I deem necessary.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links