Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol

This is a discussion on Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by miller_man Would everybody hurry up and decide and agree so I can buy this perfect gun!! Gonna be a little different for ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Would everybody hurry up and decide and agree so I can buy this perfect gun!!

Gonna be a little different for each person. A good read though.
    It isn't about the perfect gun but what everyone considers characteristics of the perfect defensive pistol.
    SIXTO likes this.

2. Remove Ads

cj
    Size and capacity of a Taurus PT145 (10 rounds of .45 in that compact of a package is hard to match)
    Reliability of a Glock
    Ergonomics of an M&P
    A decent, workable, consistent trigger

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My biggest problem is that I have settled on three defensive handguns that seem so perfect, yet I see no way to hybridize their characteristics. A high-end 1911, with the undercut triggerguard/high-cut front strap, such as Les Baers, is one of those perfect handguns. The Ruger GP100, with its excellent original factory grip, not the ergonomic nightmare from Hogue, is another. Perhaps the most perfectly-balanced carry/fighting handgun for me is the S&W Model 19, though of course, the GP100 will probably be more durable over time with magnum loads.

I know my aging eyes would appreciate a red dot sight, and it is only a matter of time before I try an Aimpoint Micro on a handgun. This wonderful optic is what keeps a defensive carbine relevant in my life, and I want to try the concept on a handgun. I reckon my idea of a perfect defensive pistols leans toward a sixgun with a topstrap that has a short, integral section of Picatinney rail, or perhaps a portion of the barrel rib could be so sculpted. If the concept worked well with an Aimpoint Micro, then I could start looking for a more compact optic, and return the Aimpoint to the carbine from which it was borrowed.

Meanwhile, it is really difficult to beat the three handguns I originally mentioned. I tend to carry the Model 19 the most of those three, so, the 4" S&W Model 19 sixgun is my answer. Uncle Mike's square-butt rubber Boot Grips make it about as perfect as can be. Capacity? Well, I virtually always carry a second gun, and there are wonderful speedloaders on the
    market.

For anyone who wonders why I did not mention the SP101, well, I love my little Rugers, and virtually always have one or more on or about my person, but a perfect pistol is, in my mind, a bit larger. A larger grip helps practical accuracy, as does a longer sight radius, and the cylinder of a larger revolver, such as an S&W K-frame, swings out farther from the frame, which makes reloading smoother.

CZ 75 Compact chambered in 357 SIG, with low profile, adjustable tritium sights, and G10 grips. Concealable, but good grip (put rubber mag base pads on her) and heft (relatively tame recoil), 10+1, and flat shooting well past 100 yd. Condition 1 or condition 2 -- you decide.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Take an HK P7 M13, shorten the grip a bit, keep the magazine capacity at 10 rds minimum, build it out of polymer or titanium so that it is 4-6 oz lighter, and price it under $600.

Jim

VIP Member
    I am torn here. I don't carry the 228 anymore, but it is so right that it is difficult to not use it as a starting point. But, I think I'll have to go Glock.

I'm a holdout in Glock, I still like the 40, so I'll start with a Glock 23. Put a RDS on top. Grip reduction, no finger grooves, textured so that skateboard tape isn't needed. A good melt job making it even smoother than it starts. Lighten up on the trigger a touch and make it more crisp. I'd love for it to feel like a heavy 1911 trigger. Swap the barrel so that you've got a fully supported chamber and dump the stupid rifling so you can shoot lead if you want.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    I think a pistol about the same size as a G19 is the perfect place to start. Then I'd put in a 1911 style SA trigger.

Poof, you'd have a great gun. IMO Para came close with their compact double stack 1911s. They're just too big in the grip for most folks to really like them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links