Would you guys carry this.....

This is a discussion on Would you guys carry this..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been researching my CCW purchase. I have pretty muched decided on a S&W 442/642 over a 9MM specifcally the Kahr CM9. I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Would you guys carry this.....

Question Would you guys carry this.....

I have been researching my CCW purchase. I have pretty muched decided on a S&W 442/642 over a 9MM specifcally the Kahr CM9. I have been thinking about selling my 1973-4 model 36 chiefs special never shot in mint condtion with original box and paper work to fund my purchase. Over the weekend I got thinking about why not carry the 36 and not worry about its condtion. To me the advantage of the 36 are its already bought, its a steel frame and I am guessing better made than the 442/642. A little heavier. It doesnt have a coating on it, it is truly a blued gun. The disadvatages are it is only rated for 38 specials and it has a hammer which could get hung up on a shirt or something. I could get it bobbed?? Not sure how that would effect the gun if at all. If I keep the 38 then I could purchase the Kahr also. So all that being said whats your guys take on this? I am missing anything? Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    First off, I'd keep the 36--period.
    Yes, you could CC with it. Obviously you'd have to give it the additional care a blued carry firearm would require, but it's doable.

As for the hammer, you can train to place your thumb over it when drawing--problem solved.

And as for the .38 Spec, NO ONE is gonging to laugh in your face when they're staring down its business end. It will do the job. A 158 LSWC is nothing to laugh at when it's headed your way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Hard call . I would also keep the 36 . I carried revolvers for 20 years, now I pocket a cm9. I really do like the kahr, trimmer in the pocket, no bulging spots and a couple more rounds with quicker reloads if needed. With some the 124gr +P ammo you have a bit more velocity and energy than even the comprable BB loads. . But I did carry a 38sp for 20 years.

I agree with OldVet. Keep the 36. Go ahead and get the 642/442 if you want a light weight revolver (without a hammer) to conceal carry. They are very good from what I hear. Personally I prefer the Ruger LCR, but have thought about adding a 642/442 to my arsenal, even tho I don't need one.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I feel like, and this is only my humble opinion, that your older vintage 36 is going to be a higher quality gun than a newer 442 with lock. That stated I have the latest iteration 442 and I would rather have one sans extra/unnecessary safety device, which while a slim chance could compromise reliability. Check out Rollo's posts about his recent experiences with Smith J frames as well.

Carry the 36!
    A hammer is not a deal-breaker for CCW...just practice drawing from under concealment garment.
    It is a classic, and you should carry it and shoot it!
    .38spec will get the job done..

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I owned a airweight J frame (with the stupid lock) for a short time.

It froze up on me after 5 factory non +P rounds.

Went to a LCR after that with no problems.

If you are a die hard S&W fan then stick with it,

Otherwise, the LCR is years ahead of the J frame.

Easily the lightest, smoothest and most accurate of them all.

I'll buy one when, not if, they offer one in .44 Special.

Both of my LCRs like the 110-125 gr. +P loads.

www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

By all means, KEEP THE 36!

That thing is a great carry piece. I have both a 642 and a 442, but went out of my way to track down two old Model 36s.

I like to carry a 36 in a Don Hume "JIT Slide". It's a minimalist OWB holster that works very well for me and my and J-Frames.

Here's one of my 36s with the Hume holster.

mod36flatlatch.jpg

I agree with all those who say keep the 36. It is a great classic gun and well-made. Get a Mika pocket holster and check out Buffalo Bore's non- +p .38 loads for short-barreled revolvers. You'll have a great CC package that will be more than adequate for most needs.

Hi lokin4deer;

In my opinion you're thinking straight. The gun is very nice but is a common model for the advanced Smith & Wesson collectors. You're not losing a lot of value by putting it to work. I'd sure be fore using it for the following reasons.

-Steel J-Frames are preferable for actually shooting yet don't have any bothersome weight at all unless you're the original 98 lb. weakling.

-The steel-framed Model 36 will actually eat all the +P loads you'll be willing to afford to feed it or enjoy shooting in it. They're sturdy little devils. I carry +P and have shot same in my Chief's Special which was made before the model number 36 was assigned. It's 22 years older than your revolver.

-Yes, the 1974 vintage Smith & Wesson Model 36 is more finely finished in my view. It's much better looking as well.

-The hammer spur offers choices that the bobbed or hammerless models don't offer. One may use the revolver in double-action mode or take a deliberate single-action shot if he so chooses. Such shooting is still worth practicing no matter what the DAO gurus say. The revolver with hammer spur may be withdrawn from a pocket or IWB holster easy as pie by covering with the thumb. I actually press the tip of my thumb against the back of the hammer spur as the revolver is withdrawn. The movement becomes second nature. DAO revolvers are much overrated.

-I've had a Model 642 for 14 years now but the Chief's Special nearly always gets the nod when tiny 5-shot .38 Special revolvers are called for around here.

-Blue finish will become worn with use over time and it takes a bit more care; like all of 10 seconds with a rag covered in RIG or your favorite preservative at the end of a carry day. The soft edge wear of a well-used blued revolver is not unattractive and with a quick wipe-down after each use, rust is just never a problem.

-That 38 year-old Model 36 will have a much finer double-action trigger pull that whips both new J-Frame Smith & Wessons or the Ruger LCRs for functional usability. That's a subjective statement but I feel strongly that the LCR trigger is absolutely "yuck" by comparison and folks that consider the LCR trigger to be superior wouldn't know a really good trigger if it bit them on the toe.

-Your Model 36 will never, ever suffer from lock-related failures.
    oneshot, 380ACP and msgt/ret like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I could never sell the 36. Mint unfired condition, I don't know that I would carry it as an EDC either. OF course, if you don't carry it or shoot it, what's the point in having it? I don't have any safe queens...I shoot what I have and I have what I shoot. Tough call.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I stepped off the pocket 9 merry go round and am quite pleased with my LCR instead.

Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

Keep the snubbie. Forget the idea of a pocket 9. I will no longer go any smaller than a Glock 26 in a 9mm.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; September 24th, 2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: added link to thread
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

When it comes to revolvers, just admit to yourself that you will end up with a few.

I personally would not sell the 36. I don't know if I would shoot it either. Actually, I probably would unless I was a collector, which I'm not. So, I would probably carry it. Then curiosity would get ahold of me and I would end up with an airweight. Then a lcr would follow me home, and then maybe an sp101.

This probably isn't helping you. :)

Anyway, to make this easy for you, whatever you do don't sell it. Then, get some ammo, go shoot it, get a holster or five and carry it, and then in a year re-assess if you need something else. That's much better than agonizing over this for months.

VIP Member
    I've got a 1970's chief special. Mine has been fired a little but in super great condition. I ought to cc it more, I really hadn't thought about it. It is built like a little tank. My chat is not really helping with your decision though.

I'm impressed that you have one that is unfired. If you decide to cc it, you'll need to practice with it, so of course it'll lose it's unfired distinction. Tough call, but it's essentially your call.

Good luck.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks for the replys guys you have pretty much confirmed what I had been thinking! I actually kind of like the idea of carrying the old gun. There is a lot to be said for old things!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I could never sell the 36. Mint unfired condition, I don't know that I would carry it as an EDC either. OF course, if you don't carry it or shoot it, what's the point in having it? I don't have any safe queens...I shoot what I have and I have what I shoot. Tough call.
    Bugdude that is my way of thinking also. I also dont have any safe queens that is why I was thinking of getting rid of the 36. Then I thought why not carry it and then I dont have to get rid of it : )

One other thought for you guys......I am guessing that a crimson trace for the J frames will fit on my 36. It says it will per their web site just want to make sure!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links