Kel tec PF9 - Page 3

Kel tec PF9

This is a discussion on Kel tec PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My buddie bought a pf 9 a while back. I played around with it and found it to be reliable and super easy to conceal. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Kel tec PF9

My buddie bought a pf 9 a while back. I played around with it and found it to be reliable and super easy to conceal. The only negative I had was that after some time on the range my hands were sore, more than with my G27. Still for an easily concealed auto I've considered picking one up myself.

Love my pf9

hate to shoot it, love to carry it. mines in a IWB that cost almost half the gun's value. but oh how comfy it is!

PF9006.jpg
    Weapons list suppressed...........

These are pocket guns, what do you expect in terms or recoil? Why would you ever want to shoot more than 10 rounds out of it?

Yes for some it can be unpleasant to shoot, but it is not something people carry thinking they are going to be in a prolonged battle. It is something most people WILL carry because I is small and accurate at the distance it is intended to be used. I have heard of some lemons but I have had no real issues with mine. I have eight guns I can select from each day to carry. Some days I am dressed such that I can carry a full size gun. Other days concealment is an issue and the PF9 is perfect. Some times I feel the need for a larger caliber or more ammo capacity and other days I am content to just have the extra protection.

For the price and what it is designed to do it is a great little gun. Maybe not for everybody but a nice gun
    oneshot likes this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Like my PF9, and totally trust it, but tend to carry my LCP or M&P9c more often.

Im up in the air about it... my wife has one and I think it jumps a lot more than my glock 26 or taurus pt111. We have had no FTF's or anything of that sort. It goes bang everytime, but I find the gun to be too small for my hands. I dont like the plastic grips because they slip a lot. My wife for some reason also keeps hitting the magazine button and dropping mags randomly. Accuracy seems to be right on. Out of the 7 rounds in the mag, i was able to hit 5 out of 7 at 50 yards on a steel target. Its a good gun but just not for me.

I like mine it is concealable , light, and has been very reliable for me.

My father has one that I would love to own. Yes, it is snappy and it has a heavy trigger pull, but it works! In a self-defense situation you're unlikely to be concerned with recoil. It's certainly no Glock, Sig, or M&P, but it goes bang every time, is reasonably accurate, and it's easy to conceal.
    oneshot likes this.
    Honey, I forgot to duck.- Ronald Reagan

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    To be so naiive that to think that every firearm will function 100% out of the box only sets you up for some serious frustration. Been shooting too long and have owned too many guns to not
    be realistic about it. You can buy Glocks that are usually 100% good to go.....most of the time. You can pay $1,400 for a good 1911 and have issues. You can buy a Kahr and throw in the towell on the gun in the first 50 rounds because you forgot to read the company's instruction manual regarding the proper break-in of the gun.
    Have some quality bonding time with your new pistol....get to know what it likes and does not like.....read up on the particular model on the do's and don'ts that others have already experienced.
    I must say as I a patiently await my XDM .45 compact to come in at the store.. I am online reading through the manual right now. I want to know this gun top to bottom before it comes.

I've had my PF9 for more than 3 years. It was my first cc gun and remains an active part of my rotation. I did the "fluff and buff" before shooting the first round. Yeah, it's snappy, but it should be since it's so light. It's not the most attractive gun, but that's to be expected for the price. The trigger is long and hard, but I expect that w/ most DOA type guns w/o an external safety lever. During spring/summer, the PF9 is perfect for pocket carry in cargo shorts.

I've run about 300 rounds through mine. It has been flawless except for 2 situations. The first time I had problems I think it was from my son in law limp wristing it. A couple hundred rounds later it acted up when my son was shooting it. Thought he was limp wristing it, but I had problems, as well. Turned out the second incident was on me as the gun was dirty. Cleaned it and oiled it up well and it's been 100% eversince.

Small guns like the PF9 seem to require a little TLC than do the bigger guns. I've been happy w/ mine and don't regret having bought it.

VIP Member
    My P11 goes to work with me, stays in the car and then goes home.
    Lousy trigger, combat accurate, and cost under $300.
    If it gets stolen, I am not out a whole lot.

Been reliable for 500 + rounds.
    Got no complaints for what purpose it serves.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Been pretty happy with my PF9. Had some FTE issues until I called KT's customer service and had them send me another extractor. Goes *BANG* every time I pull the trigger, has never failed in that, going on 400 rounds. It's not meant to be shot a great deal. The gun shoots like a revolver in many ways; a long trigger pull and kicks like a snubnose. It's a very basic pistol design, no safety. Lots of support for wannabe gun mechanics such as myself. It's size and weight are great.

pf9_.jpg
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

I am a novice CC citizen. My first pistol was a Charter Arms Undercover handed down to me from my father. I bought a S&W Shield (40) and the Kel-Tec PF-9 on the same day. I am not going to discuss the Shield here, but the PF-9 has been very nice. I find the DAO to be very smooth and I enjoy the fact there is no additional safety to disengage. Purchasing additional magazines from Kel-Tec's website was very inexpensive and easy to do. I have been firing on instinct at 8.5" by 11" targets at 25 yards, and I put six out of eight rounds on paper (on average). I have put 500 rounds through it. Alternatively, I borrowed a friendís P-3AT (380 ACP) and put 200 rounds through it in a day to see if I liked it enough to purchase one myself, and the trigger was so rough that it actually shaved my finger raw and made me bleed. For a 380 ACP, I still liked how it performed, and I think I will still buy it; I may have to take some grit to the trigger beforehand though.

I have one and I carry it. I am a tinkerer and I completed the complete fluff and buff. I have a hogue handall and the pencil eraser overtravel stop. I also added a fiber optic front sight. I have 300 rounds through it and I have a good one. I carry it in a "kangaroo carry" band under my dress shirt. I work in a situation where I'm not allowed to carry, and absolutely no one knows I carry daily. YMMV.
    zonker1986 likes this.

pawned79,
    I may have to take some grit to the trigger beforehand though.
    Yeah, Kel-Tecs commonly have some "rough spots" on them. I took some very fine sand paper (think it was 400 wet or dry) and sanded out the long seam that goes all around the frame in the middle, as well as a few sharp edges on the "checkerboard" area of the grip. I bet you could do the same thing to the surface of the trigger. Mine's a lot smoother after the touch up. Shouldn't take you very long to do this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links