Kel tec PF9

This is a discussion on Kel tec PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not a troll for "my gun is better thsn yours". It my opinion of the product. I have owned may guns in my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Kel tec PF9

Kel tec PF9

This is not a troll for "my gun is better thsn yours". It my opinion of the product.
    I have owned may guns in my 40+ years of firearms and carry weapons. My present carry guns are: 642 Smith or Colt Mustang stanless.
    My friend who is an avid road motorcyclist wanted a easily concealable seemi auto to be worn under his leather jacket. He bought aPF9 at the gun showlast Sunday. we went for some range time to break it in. He put 100 rounds thru and no failures. Ammo was winchester 124 grain FMJ ( wallys world.)
    After he finished, I asked to try it.I have never shot this gun before. HAve fondled one at a gun shop, but never live fired it. Loaded 5. Silouette target at about 7 meters. All 5 in a 3' group, no failures, 1 shot per second (range rules)
    The second 5 was a 2" group. I was getting used to the trigger.
    Thats as good as I do with teh 642 or Mustang, as they are also max conceal guns.

Recoil. That was in my mind since he bought it. He and I are about 5.7 with a faw extra pounds.
    He said the recoil was on par with his glock compact 9. I compared it to the smith. Using 124/125 GR "range ammo (fmj)" the recoil was about the same. With the smith using 125 JHPSWC +P (winchester "FBI loads") the smith was noticibly heavier in recoil, but thats expected. We did not have +P 9 ammo. The recoil with Federal "PDA personal defense ammo, AKA Hydrashoks) seemed on par with teh range ammo, and no failres.

The gun was shot right out of the box and very "virgin". No modes, cleaning or oiling.

I am going to buy one in the future for my EDC carry. I love the smith and its totally reliable, however, and auto "hides" better, being flatter.

Again, this is not a "my gun is better than yours" thread.
    r

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    From what I've read, the Kel-Tec seem to be a hit or miss issue. Those who have the hitters love them; those with the missers hate them. Considering the internet rationality, I suspect the majority of them get hitters. And most of the missers could most likely be easily turned into hitters. But people like to complain more than they like to praise. It draws more attention. Too many just want the attention.
    zonker1986 and Poseidon like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    From what I've read, the Kel-Tec seem to be a hit or miss issue. Those who have the hitters love them; those with the missers hate them. Considering the internet rationality, I suspect the majority of them get hitters. And most of the missers could most likely be easily turned into hitters. But people like to complain more than they like to praise. It draws more attention. Too many just want the attention.
    True. I got a miss from Kel Tec and I bad mouth their products every time I get an opportunity to do so.
    RichB70, ericb327 and Poseidon like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I believe Kel Tec is around the 3rd largest handgun producer in the U.S., and every LGS I know of sells them like hotcakes, so it appears they are doing something right. I own and a couple of their rifles and in my experience they're nifty little gun's that work pretty well. Hope you like your PF9, I too am interested in potentially getting one down the road sometime as a "beat-around" hiking/backpacking gun.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    True. I got a miss from Kel Tec and I bad mouth their products every time I get an opportunity to do so.
    At least your honest.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

They are good guns for what they are. I have owned several Kel-Tecs and my overall experience has been positive. For what they sell for, if you like to tinker with things they are great. If you want them to perform like a Glock or M&P out of the box, you may be a little disappointed.
    sixgun and zonker1986 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    agree. If I have an issue with a gun, it becomes an obsession to get it to work correctly. If that means a trip or two back to the factory, so be it. I have had pistols with catastrophic failures, ones that were total jamm-o-matics, and ones that could not hit paper at five yards. With a little patience and persistence, any gun can be made 100% -- they are machines just like cars.
    I don't know too many people that have a problem with their car and get it repaired and then sell it "because I just don't have any confidence in that car anymore".

To be so naiive that to think that every firearm will function 100% out of the box only sets you up for some serious frustration. Been shooting too long and have owned too many guns to not
    be realistic about it. You can buy Glocks that are usually 100% good to go.....most of the time. You can pay $1,400 for a good 1911 and have issues. You can buy a Kahr and throw in the towell on the gun in the first 50 rounds because you forgot to read the company's instruction manual regarding the proper break-in of the gun.
    Have some quality bonding time with your new pistol....get to know what it likes and does not like.....read up on the particular model on the do's and don'ts that others have already experienced.
    I did that before I ever purchased a PF-9. Upon arrival of my new PF-9 back in 2008, I immediately broke it down and did the Keltec "Fluff and Buff" as prescribed on the Keltec Owners Group
    Forum......and unbelievably, all those other PF-9 owners were right on. I've never had an issue with mine. I now own three PF-9's....one blued, one parkerized, and one hard chrome. One for each pocket....billfold goes in the other. Each one got the Fluff and Buff and have been 100%.
    sensei2 and Brass63 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Worst gun I have ever shot. Hurt my hand to shoot!
    accessbob likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I carry my PF9 almost every day. I agree with others that it's not the most fun to shoot but it does what I want it to do. It conceals easy and it always go's bang. My PF9 has never had a problem. Its a great gun for the price...

i think that everyone who has had a misfeed or jam with the pf9 should grip the gun like a man and then you'll see that most of the "problems" with it is due to people holding and firing it like their other, bigger 9's they're used to shooting. the fact that you are using the same 147gr +p jhp(me too) ammo in your 4in barrel as in the pf9, is the reason to make such an adjustment. i speak from my own experience. i was used to shooting a p228 and an xdm 3.8. i got the pf9 and immediately had stove pipes, and spent cases getting pushed into the barrel instead of ejecting. i started doing some research and came across limp wristing. now i grab the pf9 quite a bit tighter than any other of my pistols. all i get now is bullet holes in targets and smiles. i truly love this little thing. and it's probably my favorite gun to shoot. and it's with me everyday as primary, or bug.

p.s. no pistol was subjected to fluffing or buffing during the making of this story.

I used a two hand and one grip. However, I know auto weapons, as I had a 1911 way back when.....
    reliability.
    You have to believe in whatever you carry. I started out CCW with a charter undercover ove the 1968 vintage, as the second owner. It was owned by a retired Texas sheriff. They were abokut 2/3 the price of a smith chief special (Model 36), and the lacking of finish was obvious in comparison.
    However, it went bang every time I pulled the trigger and was accurate enough for self defense.
    For any auto pisto;s I own, they get at least 200 rounds before it sees a holster. I break it in with "range ammo". Then after being "broken in", I try a couple of mags of carry ammo, usually hydrashoks. The mouth of the hollow point is large, and if anything is going to hang up in the feed, it will be them. Then, if it passes all, I clean it and carry it.
    Revolvers, a couple of boxes of range ammo. Carry ammo, I go thru one cylinber full, then carry it.
    DO NOT carry anything you don't trust. In a combat situation, theres no second place winner in a gunfight...........

While I said the recoil is not not objectioable, this was based on 10 shots. I am sure I would beg to differ after a hundred rounds, however, so would the smith 642. They are both very light CC guns, with powerful ammo.

Senior Moderator
    I've got one that see a lot of use that I have never had an issue with.
    They are great to carry.
    Eight shots of 9mm is nothing to sneeze at.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Worst gun I have ever shot. Hurt my hand to shoot!
    This is really the only consistent negative comment I have heard regarding the PF9.

Have not personally shot one myself, I feel there are better options. Not at the same price point though.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    This is really the only consistent negative comment I have heard regarding the PF9.

Have not personally shot one myself, I feel there are better options. Not at the same price point though.
    It's my EDC and as others said, it's not fancy or shiny, but mine is extremely reliable. Keep in mind, this isn't a range gun, just something for "up close and personal". People either love them or hate them.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post

PF-9 and Kahr CM9. Both carried in a cheapo pocket holster.
    One is 14 oz and 6+1, the other 7+1 and 12oz.
    One cost $408 out the door and the other $249.
    One is .90" thick and the other .86" thick
    One has fairly soft recoil and the other kicks like a mule
    Both have been 100% Reliable to date.

Guess which one is more accurate at 10 yards standing?
    Answer: The PF-9....which is why I still carry it 90% of the time, even though I have another "better" option.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have 3 Kel-Tecs. A P3AT, a PF9 and a PLR16. They all have been flawless out of the box. I even talked a friend into a P3AT and his has been flawless. Just sayin'!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links