G19 or G23...That is the question.

This is a discussion on G19 or G23...That is the question. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I roll with a G23, most of the time. I got it with the intention of getting the 9mm barrel, but I haven't yet. 23 ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: G19 or G23...That is the question.

I roll with a G23, most of the time. I got it with the intention of getting the 9mm barrel, but I haven't yet.

23 pros:

convertible barrels; 9mm and .357 Sig

little heavier bullets available, which may lend an edge if shooting through barriers

19 pros:

the most popular Glock pistol, ever

9mm readily available, and the most cost effective without dispute

I dunno, flip a coin
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

G19
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I always liked .40, and it was the cartridge I "grew up" on when I became a LEO. My first off-duty carry was a G23. But I shot an MP5 and started to like the manageability of the 9mm round. Then I got a G26 and it became my primary off-duty carry. Then I wanted a G19, because by now I had gained a new appreciation for 9mm. I purchased a G19, but I still really haven't decided on which one I like more. Generally, I made the G19 my nightstand gun, and I carry either the G26 or the G23... Bottom line, I like them all, and between G19 and G23, you are good to go either way! More just a matter of personal preference...

I have both G19 and G23

I've had both the G19 and the G23 for over 10 years. I have shot and carried both of them quite a bit. I like the .40 caliber round and feel it has a slight ballistic advantage over the 9mm, based on gelatin tests of expansion and penetration. So I probably tend to favor the G23 for defensive carry use.

My G23 has been hard chromed and looks a little different than most G23s.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

CJM
    I've owned both, and if I had to buy another Glorp, it would be a Glorp 19.

I own both. The G19 is my constant companion.

Between the two it is really a wash unless you are hung up one one caliber over another. I would get the one that is the cheapest then shoot the hell out of it.

Definitely get the 23 and a 40-9 conversion barrel.

I have had Glocks of various calibers, sizes, and generations. I keep going back to the Glock 19. I have had all the 40's, 357's, and 9mm's... Well not the long slides but anyways I keep going back to the 19. The reason I do is because for the size, weight, accuracy, recoil, non snagging profile it is hard to beat. The 19 feels like a small gun but shoots like a big one. I have learned my lesson the expensive way and I will never give up my Glock 19 again no matter what else I buy. That being said I am looking at buying a few more 19's over any other caliber, manufacturer, or sized hand gun. I just do not see why the extra expense for a cartridge .02" in diameter bigger, less magazine capacity, more recoil (although slightly), more expensive bullet with marginally better "one shot stop capability" when in a defensive situation I train to fire two or more rounds per target anyways. 9mm=20% cheaper than 40, means 20% more rounds.

I've taken a few friends to the range to practice with their "new" Glock 23's and they do well and have a good time. When they're done I say why don't you try my 19? In every case it's "boy, I really like that" and "what model is that"? Also noted is the accuracy improvement and lack of perceived recoil.

I've owned both, great guns and you can't go wrong with either if you want a glock. Keep in mind the 9mm is a great round with the right manufacturer and will certainly do an excellent job as a defensive round. My model 23 has been gone a long time now but the generation two 19 is here to stay.

The only way to make a decision is to shoot both side by side and don't let the 9mm vs 40 get in the way. Accuracy counts!
    Bark'n likes this.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I had both. I shot both. I sold my .40s and am now strictly a 9mm guy, for all the reasons already mentioned.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Well I will throw my support behind the Glock 19. I feel the 9mm is just as good as the .40 S&W and I like the cost savings. There are reasons the .40 S&W is popular amongst law enforcement but I think that they would be just as well served with the 9mm. This really boils down to caliber preference. A word of warning though, when you purchase a Glock in any caliber, you will want to get the Fullsize, the Compact, and the Subcompact just because. I ended up with a Glock 17 which made me want a Glock 26, and I finally bought my last Glock 9mm with a Glock 19 just so I had the ability to choose what size gun I wanted to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by swelly61 View Post
    I can't seem to decide what Glock I want. I shoot both 9 and 40 so I have plenty of ammo for either gun. I also don't want this to turn into a "caliber war"... I know the G19 and G23 are the same exact size. When it comes down to it I just don't know what one to take home. Does anyone own both guns? If you do, any insight would be helpful. This will be my first Glock.
    witch one do you shoot better?
    how about your follow up shots , can you get back in target quicker with the 23 or 19??
    if you can respond to this two questions , you got your answer .
    good luck either way you gonna have a Glock

I shot both and would say G19 over G23 without a doubt if going for a 3rd gen. The g23 was real snappy compared to my G19 and my 45acp. Just IMO not a comfortable gun or a joy to shoot. The fourth gen g23 is an improvement though.

I have a G19(and a G26),which are my old duty guns....so I vote for the 9mm. Me,personally, having owned 45ACP's before I ever owned a NINE, the 40 was the "in-between" caliber so I never was interested in owning one. It's a fine caliber from all reports...just never found a spot in my heart ! The G19 is the finest all-around 9mm platform out there IMHO!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links