G19 or G23...That is the question.

This is a discussion on G19 or G23...That is the question. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't seem to decide what Glock I want. I shoot both 9 and 40 so I have plenty of ammo for either gun. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: G19 or G23...That is the question.

G19 or G23...That is the question.

I can't seem to decide what Glock I want. I shoot both 9 and 40 so I have plenty of ammo for either gun. I also don't want this to turn into a "caliber war"... I know the G19 and G23 are the same exact size. When it comes down to it I just don't know what one to take home. Does anyone own both guns? If you do, any insight would be helpful. This will be my first Glock.

2. Remove Ads

I own a GLOCK 19 and a 26, do not own any fourtees. I suggest the GLOCK 19.
    Toorop likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The only real difference is you can convert a 23 to 9 or 357, a 19 has to stay a 9.
    Richard58, Chesafreak and 10thmtn like this.

I have both and shoot/carry both. If it were me I would go with the 23. It's more versatile and, not to start another caliber war, but I like the extra "oomph" that the .40 provides. I carry my G23 more than the 19.

Cool

I had both the 19 and 23 and carried them as duty weapons.

Once I retired I started thinning out the herd and sold the 19.

I like the added diameter of the .40S&W and the power bump.

It's your choice and you would be well armed with either.

Both the 19 and 23 had night sights with the 23 having a Big Dot front sight and a after market stainless steel guide rod in it.

Try both at a local range if possible before buying or buy both. LOL

The .40 S&W has a snappy style of recoil but nothing close to being unmanageable.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    smolck likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I vote 23. I have a 19 and bought a 27 for my summer EDC with plans to get a 23 for winter EDC. More versatile gun, bigger bullet.

What a nice problem to have......
    You can't go wrong with either choice but if I had to pick one it would be the G19. I think modern day 9mm jhp takes away any concerns about using this as a carry caliber.

VIP Member
    I like the price of 9mm compared to .40 cal.

i own both i would suggest 19 just because ammo is cheaper. with that said its really between 9mm vs .40 s&w
    Toorop, DIRO305 and goldshellback like this.

This is just my personal opinion, based on shooting a G-23 for over 12 years. I recently sold my .40 cal and switched to 9mm as my primary defensive caliber for the following reasons. Not the least of which is the expense of ammo. You may have plenty of .40 cal ammo now, but the fact remains, .40 cal just costs more than 9mm.

Another reason is 9mm has less recoil than the .40 and I shoot my 9mm faster and more accurate than the .40 cal. To me the .40 cal has a harsher recoil than .45 ACP and because of that, I've kept both my 1911 .45's. I shoot the .45 ACP faster and more accurate than the .40 cal as well.

As far as the so-called misnomer called "stopping power"... I will only say that with proper loadings of modern self defense ammo, the 9mm is just as effective a man stopper as the .40 cal. Currently I shoot 147 gr. Federal HST's in all three of my 9mm's. Speer Gold Dots, Ranger -T's and Remington Golden Sabers are all on par with the Federal HST's and have excellent track records in real shooting events.

My Glock 23 was the lone oddball. The only .40 caliber I owned so I dumped it. I have multiple .45's, 9mm's, 38's & .357 mags. Also a couple of .380's. I saw no reason to continue to stock up on .40 cal ammo since it cost more than 9mm and I shoot my 9mm's better.

Your mileage may vary.
    bbmclain, snowdoctor and 10thmtn like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would suggest getting the 23 and a loneWolf 9mm barrel. My son did that and it works fine. I use a 19 and 26 as I prefer the 9mm.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

I went with the g23 over the g19

I faced the same dilemma and ended up going with the g23. I purchased a Lone Wolf conversion barrel and a few 9mm g19/g17mags. I have shot the g19 many, many times both prior to and after making my purchase, but am very happy with my g23 because I get the best of both worlds.

With the conversion barrel, I can train with 9mm all day long for less money, but keep her loaded with .40 cal for daily carry. (Despite not having any malfunctions with the conversion kit at this point, I would still not carry it in 9mm for daily self-defense purposes unless .40 cal was absolutely unavailable. But then you probably have bigger problems at that point!) Although the difference in recoil between the two calibers is noticeable, I always start and end my training shooting .40. I really just like the versatility of having being able to purchase/use either caliber of ammo based on price and availability. It's like having two guns in one.

BTW, I have had no problems running the conversion barrel, and it can be switched out well under a minute. I love it, but to each his own.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    My most often carried gun is a G23 in a Dale Fricke Archangel. I would switch to a G19 without druthers as I don't feel modern defensive ammo in the major calibers differs enough to make one stand out over another. As stated the G23 allows for more options over the G19 with only a barrel change to .357 Sig. Switching to 9mm will require mags as well as the barrel and it may also be necessary to switch to a 9mm ejector and extractor for 100% function.

I will also add that my Gen. 4 G23 is the softest shooting .40 I own; that's being compared to a heavier Sig P229 and XD Service. Not sure if that's due to the new recoil assm. or just frame flex, etc. while there is more recoil in .40 compared to 9mm I don't consider the .40 difficult to master. Either gun would be a fantastic choice, go with either according to your favor; shooting both may be your best bet.

Get 'em both. I did.
    Poseidon, DIRO305 and OD* like this.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    This is an entirely personal choice. On that particular Glock size, I prefer the G19 and the G32, but that's me.. I sold my .40s long ago. I don't like this caliber. Why get a .40 when you can get its granddady the 10mm (which I own).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links