snubby shooting ?

This is a discussion on snubby shooting ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello, i bought a S&W airweight 442 and when i hold it in my hand my thumb seems to get jammed up and it feels ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Saugus
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: snubby shooting ?

snubby shooting ?

hello, i bought a S&W airweight 442 and when i hold it in my hand my thumb seems to get jammed up and it feels uncomfortable, i have long fingers. i will admit i should've rented and tried one first,lesson learned the hard way,but moving on, i put crimson trace grips on it. when i hold the pistol and have my thumb where the hammer would be,this feels really comfy. now i know this is fine if i just use the laser but if not it covers up the back sight. any thoughts or comments , thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Don't cover up the sight and don't use the laser when you practice. I use a to handed grip with my weak hand trigger finger on the outside front of the trigger guard and my weak hand thumb on top of my strong hand thumb. If it wasn't so late I would find a picture. Anyway I push with my strong hand and pull with my weak hand. This gives me a from grip and helps stabilize my arms.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    Definitely keep your sights in play. Never know when the batteries in the laser will decide to fail you, and you'll need the sights. Experiment with different grips until you find the one that works for you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Laser is great when you can't use the sights. Practice with and without. Get behind a tree, peak around one side and bring the laser around the other side and put on target. You can expose less of yourself. You just never know when that will come in handy.

Check out this video by Jerry Miculek it might help you out.

Jerry Miculek - Revolver Grip | MyOutdoorTV.com
    BugDude likes this.

I use that thumb-over-thumb grip for everything. Keeps your digits safe when shooting a revolver, and keeps you from accidentally locking the slide open on a semi auto.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Tyler T-grip will help with your lanky digits. Don't cover your sights! It's a dreadful habit that'll haunt you at exactly the worst possible time (combo of a dead CT battery & a deadly threat). Get some pro instruction & let a pistolero correct your grip.
    ctr likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Maybe should have considdered a Model 10...............instead.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Maybe should have considdered a Model 10...............instead.
    Only thing better than a M10 is an M...12.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

when i hold the pistol and have my thumb where the hammer would be,this feels really comfy.
    It's best not to let bad habits form and what you describe here could become just that.

Practice shooting your revolver with the thumb of the support hand wrapped over the other thumb as demonstrated well in the video presented by Saugus in post #5.

Yep, thumb over thumb is the best way to control a revolver.

thanks to everyone for the replies. all good info and advice and i will try it all out next weekend up north where i will get alot of practice in.

Links