S&W M&P Shield vs. Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact

This is a discussion on S&W M&P Shield vs. Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Shield experiences the same hard magazine lock. I carry mine with a round chambered, then load up the mag to full again. That small ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: S&W M&P Shield vs. Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact

My Shield experiences the same hard magazine lock. I carry mine with a round chambered, then load up the mag to full again. That small magazine doesn't leave much room for the spring, follower, and rounds, so there is a lot of tension against the mag as you lock it in. Part of downsizing I guess, doesn't bother me at all to be honest. The rest of the gun makes up for it!
    BeefyG likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I absolutely recommend the Beretta. I have px4 C 9mm. I almost bought the PX4 SC but when I placed it side by side with the compact, there was almost no difference. It is super accurate, and it feels like you are shooting a .22.
    cjkent likes this.

I stopped by gander mountain last night to handle a PX4 SC and see how it felt. It feels waaaay better to me than the shield but its pretty hefty. Not quite as hefty as my mini cougar but heavy enough. I pulled the Shield out when I got home and took another look at it. It really is great for carry. Its light and thin enough that I hardly notice it. I definitely would notice the PX4 SC. I really feel like I should keep the shield. Its a gun I can throw in my pocket and head out the door and not worry about it (in a holster of course.) Buuuuut now I want a PX4 SC too. Danggitt.
    cjkent likes this.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Since you're asking.....Shield in 40. More horses, one less round. If you find yourself, somehow, in a running gun battle you won't miss the 2 round in 2 mag difference to the 9. You'll be wishing for 5-6 more mags. But it's not likely to happen. As for the Beretta, I cannot speak. I've never owned or shot one. Do they make them in the States? Maybe, i dont know. May be a point of consideration. Just sayin......

As for recoil, it is a relative thing. I'm 5'7", a buck 75 and in my mid 50's. I don't worry about recoil until it hurts. I'll admit that I tend to shoot softer recoil better but practice makes recoil dissipate as an issue IMO.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Well, I've decided to keep the shield but pick up a .40SW Beretta as well. I went a gun show this weekend and handled a few PX4s. Is there anything that can be done about the checking on the front of the grip? The part where your fingers go under the trigger? It seems like that would be really uncomfortable. My brother put a hogue rubber grip on his PX4 and it helps but makes the grip thicker than I like.

I have shot the PX4 SC and absolutely loved it, sweet gun and awesome shooter. I ended putting money down on a PX4 C as the size difference isn't that much, can't wait to pick it up this weekend hopefully. The Shield looks like a fine pistol but I like the DA/SA guns.
    cjkent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyG View Post
    Well, I've decided to keep the shield but pick up a .40SW Beretta as well. I went a gun show this weekend and handled a few PX4s. Is there anything that can be done about the checking on the front of the grip? The part where your fingers go under the trigger? It seems like that would be really uncomfortable. My brother put a hogue rubber grip on his PX4 and it helps but makes the grip thicker than I like.
    Talon Grips work well for smoothing that checking and giving all around improved gripping purchase on polymers without thickening the grip. My Beretta PX4 Storm sports them as do my Glocks.
    Link:
    Talon Grips For Beretta
    BeefyG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blizzard View Post
    I have shot the PX4 SC and absolutely loved it, sweet gun and awesome shooter. I ended putting money down on a PX4 C as the size difference isn't that much, can't wait to pick it up this weekend hopefully. The Shield looks like a fine pistol but I like the DA/SA guns.
    Good choice. With the PX4 Storm Compact you'll have Beretta's rotary barrel system as with the full size PX that you don't get with the Sub Compact model. This feature has the effect of dissipating recoil resulting in improved accuracy with follow up shots. My PX4 Storm is the full sized model and the softest shooting 9mm pistol I have experienced, including the easy shooting 92FS.

I am a huge Beretta fan, with nine 92 models. I've previously owned two PX4s as well (9mm and 40 cal).

However, I rented a PX4sc, and I just didn't like it. Rented a 9mm Shield, and tracked one down 2 days later. 2.5 months of looking, and I tracked down a second Shield.

While I love Berettas and prefer DA/SA guns - I just shoot the Shield much better.

Love my Shield!!!!!!

beretta vs s&w

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyG View Post
    I currently have a Beretta 92FS, Beretta 8045 Mini Cougar, and a S&W M&P Shield. The story behind picking up the shield is kinda convoluted but I got it.

My impression of the Shield is as follows:

Pros:
    I'm accurate with it.
    Its really slim and easy to conceal.
    I've already got a 9mm so ammo can be shared.

Cons:
    The safety is opposite direction of my other guns.
    I don't enjoy shooting it very much.
    The magazine has to be slammed home to catch.
    It has to be racked hard to come all the way back forward. If not, it jams.

The loading the magazine and racking the slide issues aren't big issues if I'm carrying it racked and loaded. I just don't like that it takes more effort than my other guns and therefore could be an issue in the heat of the moment. Its pretty new so maybe its just not broken in yet.

I'm not interested in the Nano because of some of the FTE issues its had, it doesn't look like a Beretta, it feels top heavy when holding it, and it doesn't have the same controls as my other Berettas. I'm looking into the PX4 subcompact and it looks like a nice little gun. Its half an inch wider than the shield, but with almost double capacity. The other dimensions are pretty close. And its controls are the same as the other Berettas.

Which would you pick and why? Opinions and advice welcome.
    Hello
    I have the s&w shield and both beretta px 4 storm compact & sub compact I find the s&w carried better than either px 4's if you have not yet bought the sub compact don't go with the px4 compact, mag capazity is 15 wereas the sub is only 13, with the comp. you only give up around 3/8 of an inch in length,

I now have a SC PX4 9mm and a 40 Shield (as well as the Ruger LC9). I find the PX4 extremely hard to conceal due to the thickness (and my thickness as well) whereas the LC9 and the shield simply disappear IWB and require much less cover garment to make it completely go away... I have the SC PX4 for sale and am keeping the full size PX4 40 cal for my HD weapon as it is an amazing shooter...

That's one of the good things about living in Ohio....I don't have to conceal my Px4C.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links