Rock Island Armory Warranty is AAA

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory Warranty is AAA within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Update to an earlier thread, sorry for being a little wordy: I bought a used but not abused RIA Tactical compact w/ 3.5" bbl. the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rock Island Armory Warranty is AAA

Rock Island Armory Warranty is AAA

Update to an earlier thread, sorry for being a little wordy:

I bought a used but not abused RIA Tactical compact w/ 3.5" bbl. the seller said that he had shot 400 rounds throught, but selling it because it was heavy and too expensive to shoot. I paid less than $400.00 for it ... you get what you paid for.

I bought it because I had heard so many good things about these pistols, great out of the box, shoots anything I put in it, yada yada yada.

I took it to the range and fired 4 rounds of Blazer Brass 230gr FMJ when it failed to feed. I removed the magazine and found that the slide was locked in place. I had to force it forward to get back into battery, but the guide rod was sticking out the from the barrel and would not move back into place. And then slide wouldn't lock open for me to dismantle the pistol.

So I contacted RIA to test their lifetime warranty and fortunately it does cover used pistols. So I sent sent it back for repair.

Five weeks later I received it back from Armscor.

I went back to the range and this is what happened:
    1. Fired 1 magazine without a failure
    2. 2nd magazine last round FTF/FTE
    3. 3rd magazine last 4 rounds FTF/FTE
    4. 4th magazine all FTF/FTE

The pistol slide worked OK and ejected the shell casing when worked by hand, but not with the magazine installed.

I then sent my pistol back to ARMSCOR for a second repair.

After 2 weeks I was notified that they were and they did replace my pistol with a NEW one. I received it on 9.21.12.

THANKS ARMSCOR, you have a great customer service department.

My only problem now is I'm a little skeptical about shooting it, so I've got it up for sale. And being a revolver guy I bought an S&W 625-4 with a 3" bbl. Yeah I know it's an N frame and hard to conceal but it'll be my car/motorcycle carry, and find another pistol/revo for personal carry.

Again I need to say THANK YOU Armscor.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I'd take it to the range and run a hundred or so rounds through it before I made a decision as to what to do. I bought a used RIA GI 1911 and then I shot the tar out of it and never had a problem. I sold it to a buddy a year or two later and he's shot the tar out of it and loves it. For me, it's one of those guns I wish I had not sold.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Bought a used gun, now have a new gun. I'd shoot it and more than likely, you've now got a great gun, for only $400. Why would you get rid of it?
    bigmacque and Aceoky like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I'll agree with the shoot it. Used with 100 rounds through it and used never fired is going to get you the same price. You not going to get new pricing for it, technically it is used, even if never fired.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'll agree with the shoot it. Used with 100 rounds through it and used never fired is going to get you the same price. You not going to get new pricing for it, technically it is used, even if never fired.
    Yes, I know although unfired it is a used gun. Regardless of what a new one cost I would only ask for what I have invested in it which is $400.00 total.

At this time I'm not wanting to fire it and MAYBE have an issue with it, then have to send it back for warranty work. Although Armscor has a great lifetime warranty I don't want to deal with the hassle of sending it back.

Chances are it is a great gun and probabaly no issues being that it is a couple of years newer that my previous one and hopefully all the bugs are ironed out of them. I don't just want a shooter I want something that I can depend on if needed. A semi is not all that dependable in my opinion. That's why I prefer revolvers. I bought the RIA on a whim. If it doesn't sell then I've got a $400.00 paperweight.

Every time I start thinking about selling mine and buying a more expensive one, I start questioning myself as to why. Why do I want to get rid of a weapon just to buy something with nothing but increased bragging rights. This weapon shoots and shoots well. I have never had a malfunction that wasnt directly caused by the ammo (ammo not going of even with a primer hit). I know other 1911s may have better refined parts and pieces but as far as operation, they both send a 45 cal bullet down range. I just may buy her a prettier pair of shoes and just keep her. If she had an alloy frame, she would be perfect but she doesnt. The warranty is very good from what I am told.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I have never had a malfunction that wasnt directly caused by the ammo (ammo not going of even with a primer hit).
    I'm sure if it was the ammo, all brass cased 230gr ball ammo, Armscor would have told me. As it is they replaced the pistol with a new one. I'm sure it had issues. The first time it was returned they gave it a tune up, whatever that was. Then it had to go back again.

And as stated, they do have an excellent lifetime repair warranty, but who wants to keep sending their pistol back for repairs? With the cost of shipping and the cost of the rock I could have bought a better quality pistol to begin with. I know that a more expensive pistol may have issues alsol, but maybe not too.

Quote Originally Posted by roninmd View Post
    And being a revolver guy I bought an S&W 625-4 with a 3" bbl. Yeah I know it's an N frame and hard to conceal but it'll be my car/motorcycle carry, and find another pistol/revo for personal carry.
    i have one of these! it's one of my favorite SD/CC weapons. the 3" barrel ones don't seem very common. nice to know someone else has one and likes it.

ARE YOU SURE...THAT IT'S NOT THE AMMO ITSELF??? Have seen bad factory loaded ammo and heard some rumors lately
    about that Blazer having problems. Maybe they have a bad batch run that's not taper crimped correctly (meaning the shell is
    a little fat beyond specs) Try some white box Winchester...it's cheap at Wally World and usually feeds/functions ok.

I'm sure if it was the ammo Armscor would have been the first to say so and not replace my old pistol with a NEW one.

Hey buddy, post a pic of that new RIA. Some of us might be willing to take it off your hands.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I own three RIA`s. You Must use only BALL ammo for the first coupla hundred rnds BEFORE you try using Anything else. My Rocks Rock!!.

Well, like you said OP: "You get what you pay for." Lots of truth to that statement.

I'm glad you're satisfied with your Armscor's good customer service, that's the main thing.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Here's a pic of the new pistol, and what few shots I shot were all 230gr ball, previous owner said that's all he shot also as he gave me 2 boxes of Winchester White Box with the pistol. He sold it to buy a full size 1911.

RIA 45ACP 1911A1 Tactical CS compact 3.5 inch bbl (7).jpg

roninmd: I say, if the pistol really doesn't fit into your current needs, sell away. The upside of the RIA is, if you later regret it and want the gun back, it's not exactly going to break the bank. I have to say, if it was me, I would shoot my (discounted) brand new pistol until forever. However...it's your money, and if you feel like it's just going to be a $400 paperweight, then you should go with your gut and sell away. Whoever buys it will probably be happier with the gun, and you'll be happier with their cash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links