Handguns (Lessons learned)

This is a discussion on Handguns (Lessons learned) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BigJon10125 Only discrepancy is the Glock one. I do not own one, and do not plan on it. Maybe if my hand ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Handguns (Lessons learned)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Only discrepancy is the Glock one. I do not own one, and do not plan on it. Maybe if my hand magically changes shape I will look into em again. It may happen!
    Same here tried renting a few have no desire to own any.
    BigJon10125 and BurgerBoy like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Great list Hawk! ***scribbles in notepad*** I love the gun case comment... I'm gonna be getting one within the next few months... your advice is duly noted.

•About 95% of people at a gun range frankly can't shoot to save their own lives even though that is what they are there to practice for.
    AS a 27 year certified NRA instructror and a range safety officer/range master a couple times a month at the local range all I can say to that is "AMEN"

FWIW They don't know how bad they are shooting. Often refusing assistance offered in a gentle/low keyed manner. Sometimes it is just better to walk away as long as they not a hazard to themselves or the other shooter. 5 hits out of 15 roounds on a IDPA target (18 1/4" X 30 7/8) at 7 yards and it time for a high five.

Blast away my friend. 15 rounds in 5 seconds and getting 5 hits is better then 10 rds in 10 seconds and getting 10 hits .
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    "Buy twice the size of safe you think you need"
    He looks at me and says "already unhappy with your gun?!" LOL NO! Not unhappy...just want MORE!
    LOL, My wife uses the same thought process.... "Don't you have enough guns?"
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I'm glad yours doesn't think you're crazy! Mine seems a bit disturbed at times that I've turned into a gun toting chick. If I outlive this one, the next one will be a gun guy...
    If you post that job opening on this forum you're likely to get a lot of applications. Gun toting chicks seem to be hard to come by. My wife doesn't care for them herself, but understands and appreciates my perspective on it. She supports me in my 2A endeavors and doesn't give me a hard time. That's not bad. She hates my golf habit though.

C hawk, great list. You speak truths.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Spend a little less on guns and a little more on trigger work. You'll be happier with the ones you've got.
    Last edited by svgheartland; September 29th, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
    miller_man and Yetiman like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Spend a little less on guns and a little more on trigger work. You'll be happier wit the ones you've got.
    Very well spoken, starting to learn this.
    Good thread.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    #5 I think might be a little high.
    #7 Perhaps for you. For others (myself) it works great.

Last but far from the least #6. Ain't gonna happen.

Everything else... O.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Blast away my friend. 15 rounds in 5 seconds and getting 5 hits is better then 10 rds in 10 seconds and getting 10 hits
    hi Beans. i have to disagree with your math on this one (assuming you were serious, and not speaking with tongue in cheek.) the way i'm figuring, 10 rounds/hits in 10 seconds works out to 5 hits in 5 seconds, the same as the spray and pray guy.

if this were for real, and not paper at the range, we are, or should be, responsible for every round that we fire. in that case, 'mr. shoot as fast as i can pull the trigger' has now hit 10 things that he didn't intend to hit, and which he must now pay for. in the meantime, 'mr. take my time and hit what i'm aiming at' has REALLY taken care of business, and now must worry about the local DA bringing him up on 'excessive force' charges.

how about 'shoot as fast as i can and still hit my target, and stop when the BD goes down'?

Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    Everyone knows the correct way to rack the slide on a semi-auto is to slingshot it. Except for the folks who know that the correct way is to use the slide catch lever
    And which is correct on the semi-auto without a slide catch lever?
    Colt Commander LW. I think shooting twice is just plain silly.

Distinguished Member
    OK, OldMick. Explain your theory on racking the slide. Releasing the slide catch seems to work just fine for me, and it's quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    AS a 27 year certified NRA instructror and a range safety officer/range master a couple times a month at the local range all I can say to that is "AMEN"

FWIW They don't know how bad they are shooting. Often refusing assistance offered in a gentle/low keyed manner. Sometimes it is just better to walk away as long as they not a hazard to themselves or the other shooter. 5 hits out of 15 roounds on a IDPA target (18 1/4" X 30 7/8) at 7 yards and it time for a high five.

Blast away my friend. 15 rounds in 5 seconds and getting 5 hits is better then 10 rds in 10 seconds and getting 10 hits .
    If I knew the person giving me "advice" was a certified NRA instructor I would listen. Nothing is more annoying than to given tips on how to shoot from some doofus who thinks he knows how to shoot because he has a subscription to Guns & Ammo. For every person that can help me, there are 9 idiots.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    #5 I think might be a little high.#7 Perhaps for you. For others (myself) it works great. Last but far from the least #6. Ain't gonna happen. Everything else... O.K.
    Anyone who answers #5 is a touch high is part of the 95% LOL!
    multistage likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    OK, OldMick. Explain your theory on racking the slide. Releasing the slide catch seems to work just fine for me, and it's quicker.
    Many respected instructors, agencies, departments, etc teach that slingshotting is at least equal to - if not superior to - manipulating the slide lock lever simply because slingshotting is a big, "gross" muscle movement that is easy(er) to accomplish under stress than using the "fine" muscles needed to operate the slide release. There is also the idea that slingshotting is required for many malfunction drills, so why try to teach/learn two separate operations for what is essentially the same thing?

Operating the slide lock lever is only quicker IF you do it flawlessly, and IF the problem/issue can be remedied my hitting said lever.
    sensei2 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Aim small, miss small.
    CZs and 1911s are like really expensive Lays potato chips - You Can't Have Just One.
    The best caliber is the one you shoot best.
    It would be really cool if my guns had bottomless mags and exhibited no recoil like Hollywood guns.
    It would be equally cool if a shotgun blast from my 870 would send a BG flying across the room like he was shot from a catapult.
    External extractors on 1911s are ugly.
    Wheelguns rock because you don't have to police your brass after a good SD shoot.
    Handguns suck for self-defense.
    What Would John Browning Moses Do?
    A .380 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your safe.
    Your legs will get you out of trouble faster than your gun.
    In an SD situation, distance is your friend.
    Lawyer stamps on guns are gay. The dorsal fin Loaded Chamber indicator on the Ruger Elsie-9 is more gay.
    sensei2 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links