Handguns (Lessons learned)

This is a discussion on Handguns (Lessons learned) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately I have been in a mode in which I don't feel like my growth in firearm knowledge has not moved quite as fast as ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Handguns (Lessons learned)

VIP Member

Handguns (Lessons learned)

Lately I have been in a mode in which I don't feel like my growth in firearm knowledge has not moved quite as fast as it did in the last few years. No, I don't know everything by any means, but there are a few observations I have made over the years and I figured I would share. Please feel free to share a few of your own nuggets.

• 1911's and Revolvers still tend to be the most accurate handguns I own
    • For the cost of an HK, I would rather have a Sig Elite
    • Ruger does some things very well and goes a little cheap on others
    • Firearms are a bit like golf, the more crap you buy does not mean your shooting or game improves (it takes practice)
    • About 95% of people at a gun range frankly can't shoot to save their own lives even though that is what they are there to practice for.
    • Everyone should own at least one 9mm Glock
    • Concealed carry in the small of your back is terrible
    • Buy twice the size of safe you think you need
    • If you think ammo is expensive now, just wait
    • When purchasing a rifle take into account needing the same dollar amount for glass
    • Holsters multiply like rabbits
    • Own extra magazines for guns you intend to keep (I remember the last high cap ban)
    • Everyone thinks what they purchased is the best
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Lately I have been in a mode in which I don't feel like my growth in firearm knowledge has not moved quite as fast as it did in the last few years. No, I don't know everything by any means, but there are a few observations I have made over the years and I figured I would share. Please feel free to share a few of your own nuggets.

• 1911's and Revolvers still tend to be the most accurate handguns I own
    • For the cost of an HK, I would rather have a Sig Elite
    • Ruger does some things very well and goes a little cheap on others
    • Firearms are a bit like golf, the more crap you buy does not mean your shooting or game improves (it takes practice)
    • About 95% of people at a gun range frankly can't shoot to save their own lives even though that is what they are there to practice for.
    • Everyone should own at least one 9mm Glock
    • Concealed carry in the small of your back is terrible
    • Buy twice the size of safe you think you need
    • If you think ammo is expensive now, just wait
    • When purchasing a rifle take into account needing the same dollar amount for glass
    • Holsters multiply like rabbits
    • Own extra magazines for guns you intend to keep (I remember the last high cap ban)
    • Everyone thinks what they purchased is the best
    Good list. I bolded the item about practice, as that is the most important thing that someone can learn about keeping a firearm for protection, in my opinion.
    The Old Anglo and Lish like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    * It doesn't matter what caliber your shoot or how many times you fire if you can't hit what you're aiming at.
    * One good hit with a .41 Magnum is all it takes--period.
    * It ain't the brand of gun that's important, it's the pile of empties it makes (or won't).
    * Shoot what you like; you're the one holding the gun.
    * A dead Bad Guy is no longer a menace and won't testify against you.
    * Shoot with what you've got--but have something to shoot.
    * If you hit them right with the first round, the rest are just spares, just in case.
    * Every gun maker makes lemons; just don't get stuck with that one.

Not necessasrily in that order...
    BigJon10125, 94lt1, Lish and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's gospel. Everything you say holds true for me, especially the one about a bigger safe. Mine is coming apart at the seams.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    That's gospel. Everything you say holds true for me, especially the one about a bigger safe. Mine is coming apart at the seams.
    I have ran out of ways to be inventive about space in my safe! LOL......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Lessons learned? Well, for those of us who have Ex's, the difference between them and a handgun: A handgun DOESN'T just "go off!"
    OD* and oldnfat like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    * There is no perfect gun for EVERY situation. Use the right tool for the job.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

"Buy twice the size of safe you think you need"

Wish I was told that last year - we got a little one last year when we bought our guns - 3 shelves - just right for mine, his and his plinker he picked up too. Now I'm the one who got into this whole gun thing. He's happy with his 2, one for self defense, one for plinking, goes to the range twice a year and doesn't carry. Late at night I'll say "I want to get an XDs...and a Shield...and I'd like to get something bigger too...and...and...." He looks at me and says "already unhappy with your gun?!" LOL NO! Not unhappy...just want MORE!

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    He's happy with his 2, one for self defense, one for plinking, goes to the range twice a year and doesn't carry. Late at night I'll say "I want to get an XDs...and a Shield...and I'd like to get something bigger too...and...and...." He looks at me and says "already unhappy with your gun?!" LOL NO! Not unhappy...just want MORE!
    Haha, that's me and the mister to a tee!! I'm just glad he doesn't think I'm crazy. Or... not for the guns, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    Haha, that's me and the mister to a tee!! I'm just glad he doesn't think I'm crazy. Or... not for the guns, anyway...
    I'm glad yours doesn't think you're crazy! Mine seems a bit disturbed at times that I've turned into a gun toting chick. If I outlive this one, the next one will be a gun guy...

1911's, Browning Hi-Power, Bersas and my Glocks still tend to be the most accurate handguns I own
    For the cost of an HK, I would rather have two Glocks
    Ruger copies Keltecs very well and goes a little cheap on others
    Firearms are a bit like sex, the more crap you buy does not mean your shooting or game improves (it takes practice)
    About 99.99% of people at a gun range frankly can't shoot to save their own lives even though that is what they are there to practice for.
    Everyone should own at least three 9mm Glocks, G17, G19 and G26
    Concealed carry in the small of your back is great if you are Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon....otherwise, don't
    Buy twice the size of safe you think you need or just buy several small ones and place them all around your house
    If you think ammo is expensive now, take up reloading
    When purchasing a rifle take into account needing the same dollar amount for glass
    buy an expensive custom holster first so you don't end up with a box full of crappy holsters you don't use
    Own LOTS OF Extra Hi-Cap magazines for guns you intend to keep
    Everyone thinks what they purchased is the best which is why they bought it to begin with.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Only discrepancy is the Glock one. I do not own one, and do not plan on it. Maybe if my hand magically changes shape I will look into em again. It may happen!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Good list, and my personal favorite is the last one: "Everyone thinks what they purchased is the best". This is especially true on gun talk forums. Just ask: should I buy a Glock 19 or a Springfield XD? You'll get a choice of everything but the two you asked about!
    Lish likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    * One good hit with a .41 Magnum is all it takes--period.
    One good hit with ANYTHING is all it takes--period.

Better to have a more than less one good shots that you can shoot accurately and quickly.
    Last edited by OD*; September 29th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't put a $500 gun in a $20 holster
    Don't put a good holster on a cheap belt
    Shoot a lot of .22 caliber ammo. It's cheap and it makes you look like a better shot than you really are (with a service pistol)
    After you buy your first holster, empty a drawer - 'cause you're gonna need it.
    Everyone knows the correct way to rack the slide on a semi-auto is to slingshot it. Except for the folks who know that the correct way is to use the slide catch lever
    The only time you can carry too much ammo is while swimming or on fire
    zonker1986 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links