Glock 19 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Gen???

This is a discussion on Glock 19 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Gen??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some quick advice! I have a Glock 19 2nd Gen that has never given me any problems. I want to "upgrade" to one of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Glock 19 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Gen???

Glock 19 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Gen???

Need some quick advice! I have a Glock 19 2nd Gen that has never given me any problems. I want to "upgrade" to one of the newer versions. I can get a brand new 3rd gen for $495 or a "used" 4th gen (supposedly never been fired) for $450. What to do?!?! Do I keep the 2nd gen or go with one of the other two?
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

2. Remove Ads

At those prices, keep the 2nd, and buy both the others. Sell off the one you don't like. All good.
    rigel42 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    Need some quick advice! I have a Glock 19 2nd Gen that has never given me any problems. I want to "upgrade" to one of the newer versions. I can get a brand new 3rd gen for $495 or a "used" 4th gen (supposedly never been fired) for $450. What to do?!?! Do I keep the 2nd gen or go with one of the other two?
    Why try and fix something that isn't broken? If you got the cash buy a new one but I'd keep the Gen 2.
    ericb327 likes this.

keep the 2nd gen.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

It sounds like maybe you just want to buy a new gun. Keep the 2d and buy something you don't already have.
    wraithls1 likes this.

I heard tell of a guy that had a Gen 2 of some variety. He sent it to Glock to have it checked out, as he had Lord knows how many rounds through it.

They overhauled it. New springs, everything. Upgraded his sights for him. Free.

Keep the 2. Send it in if you want them to go over it. They will take care of you.

But I do love my Gen 4 19.

Keep the gen 2, buy a gen 3 for a spare.

Keep it! And just buy whatever else you want. This is a perfect opportunity to "fix" something that many Glock shooters don't like. If the grip is a little big for your hand, then either buy an SF or get a Gen 4 and remove the backstrap. Problem solved.

Hickok45 has a video on youtube comparing the different generations of 19s.

Do whatever you want as long as you end up with a Glock in the end. Btw my edc is a 2nd gen 17 and I'm happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I'd keep the Gen 2 19 and look for another. Those are my favorite pistols.

The 3rd Gen with the finger grooves removed is good as well.

You said you wanted to " upgrade to one of the newer versions " and I don't think the newer Glocks are an upgrade. If I were you I would keep your Gen 2.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some folks still prefer 8 tracks I guess.

G4 Upgrades: Larger ambi mag release, more aggressive grip pattern (not that the older pattern didn't work), interchangeable backstrap to fit more hands better, dual recoil spring (some say softer felt recoil).

I held the G22 G4 and found the bare grip (no additional backstrap, supposedly the SF fit) much more to my liking than the standard grip, but that's a subjective opinion.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Any G19 is a GREAT G19. But it IS interesting that the theme here seems to favor an upgrade to an older model. And yes, I like CDs better than MP3s. Buy it, shoot it, try to wear it out! IMHO, you're picking the fly scat out of the pepper.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks for all the advice. I guess the reason for the "upgrade"......or downgrade (depending on who you ask)....is because I like the finger grooves on my other Glocks. I do have a Uncle Mike's finger groove sleeve over the grip which so far has worked fine. It doesn't seem to move any but I do know that some sleeves have moved while shooting, covering the mag release (Glock vs 1911 competition. At least 2 Glocks were disqualified when that exact event happened. Don't want that happening in a real life scenario.) Still haven't decided. Not made of money these days!

Or.....do I just remove the sleeve and go bone stock? Hmmm....
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Can you not put the Gen 3 or Gen 4 in layaway? I wouldn't sell a Gen 2 Glock that hasn't given you a lick of trouble to get a newer one.

The next Glock on my list is a Gen 4 FDE G19. The 19 just rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links