Any experience with the Caracal?

This is a discussion on Any experience with the Caracal? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading an article by Rob Pincus of the Personal Defense Network and they posted a list of the optimum self defense pistol. Of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with the Caracal?

Any experience with the Caracal?

I was reading an article by Rob Pincus of the Personal Defense Network and they posted a list of the optimum self defense pistol. Of course Glock was on that list and I have been thinking of buying a Glock 19 here soon. But another pistol on that list was the Caracal C. I have looked at some info on it and have seen where I can get one for $100 less than the Glock. One article said the Caracal performed better than the Glock due to it unique design features. I am very tempted to buy the Caracal C with the standard sights, but want to hear from some who have actually owned and fired one. I want some real world advice, not just opinions from those who have never even seen one.

And so it begins...lol

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I was reading an article by Rob Pincus of the Personal Defense Network and they posted a list of the optimum self defense pistol. Of course Glock was on that list and I have been thinking of buying a Glock 19 here soon. But another pistol on that list was the Caracal C. I have looked at some info on it and have seen where I can get one for $100 less than the Glock. One article said the Caracal performed better than the Glock due to it unique design features. I am very tempted to buy the Caracal C with the standard sights, but want to hear from some who have actually owned and fired one. I want some real world advice, not just opinions from those who have never even seen one.

And so it begins...lol
    Read this post and refer to #6 and #13, if not buy a Caracal and hang out with the other 10 people in America that have bought one. They may be a fine firearm, but good luck getting parts, holsters, mags.

Handguns (Lessons learned)
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

That didn't answer my question and I believe you should also read more about the article and why Rob Pincus placed the gun on the list. Of all the people who teach in the world, I trust him more than any. He has used everything and has changed his opinions on new and proven technologies, real life experiences and lessons learned over the last 20 years.

Years ago, everyone said the Glock was crap. It is the most reliable and most widely used self defense firearm in all Police and Military today. I told my friend exactly what would happen with his 1911 style pistol right after he bought it. It all happened the first time at the range. My new Glock performed flawlessly!

I am open to hearing what people have to say 'WHEN THEY HAVE REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE' with that firearm.

Thumbs up

Caracal F001.jpg:thumbsup I have an F model with standard strait eight sights, 7 18 rd. mags. and kydex holster and mag carriers. > 1500 rds. fired and not 1 malfunction. I carried Glock 40s for over a decade and prefer this. Very accurate and soft shooting with everything I have put thru it.115,124,125,and 147 gr. Superior trigger,although not as good as my Commander or P7M13. Out of the box I fired 150+ rounds as fast as I could on my first range trip. Cheepo 115 gr., 124 gr. HBRN reloads, and 125 gr. MTG JHP reloads. [124s and 125s loaded just to max on the powder because squeezcockers need gas.] [ load I use in my P7 ]
    I was trying to get a malfunction, strong hand , support hand, two handed, even tried limp wristing it with just a thumb and trigger grip. Nothing/nada/no drama.
    I'm surprisingly impressed and hope it holds up,I've seen nothing to make me think won't.
    Fewer parts than the Glock and Bubits, who was on Glocks original design team was the brains behind it. More accurate than me. I do wish I also had C mdl with the Quick Sights system.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

I did read that Babits was on the design team. I don't like the funky new sights. I want the C model with standard sights. How is it gripwise compared to the Glock. Less bulky feeling?

I have not handled the C but the F feels much better to me than the G17/22. The standard sights are straight eight with white dots, but the rear is truly fixed as it is part of the firing pin/ striker housing. The rear is also very narrow. [ I removed the housing and opened up the notch by approx. .020". The front is dovetailed for windage adjustment.
    The pistols were originally imported by Waffen Werks, but are now being distributed by Steyr USA , so I expect the parts situation to be smoothing out.
    The grip feels smaller and if you have held a Ruger SR9, the feel is better. This is all my opinion [ shared by others ] and worth what you paid for it.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Lots of good info,pictures, opinions can be found here: Caracal C and F Series
    And here: CaracalForum.com • Index page [ If you catch the website up. ]
    HTH
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Thanks team for posting reviews and links to more info
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Interesting looking handgun. Kinda looks like a SR9 with a few different mods to it.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Caracal make some sweet pistolas. That optional sight system is very cool.

Here's a link to the Pincus List:

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.co...ms-priorities/

Caracal sounds like it's here to stay. Tawazun Holding L.L.C., a U.A.E. company acquired Caracal International in 2007, which in turn acquired German manufacturer Merkel GmbH in 2011. The Caracal pistols are mfg'ed there as well as in the U.A.E. It's only this year they opened a US subsidiary. It looks like a versatile design that can handle a number of calibers.

What's customer service like? Anyone know?

I have the Caracal C.The first time I shot one I was amazed at the grouping I had made.I didn't really like the trapazoidal sights at first look,but then I put up one of my best groups ever which I suppose had more to do with the awesome trigger.The grip is much more ergonomic than a Glock.Also there is less perceived,felt recoil than a Glock(not that there was much anyway).Glock is known for their low bore axis,well the Caracal has an even lower one,which really shows.My double tap hits have never been closer together.So far I have shot 925 flawless rounds through mine.

There are drawbacks though,like the lack of aftermarket support(not that you need it).However I would like to have a set of Warren Tactical sights for it.Also it has a slightly longer reset than a Glock.It hasn't affected my shooting though.I have a friend who is a member here who shoots his in IDPA and I've witnessed him shooting his rapidly in competition without an incident of shortstroking.It is not as easy to detail strip as a Glock is either(again,not that you need to).

Don't get me wrong,I'm still a Kool-Aid drinker.I have a Gen 4 G17 with a 2.2# trigger pull and Dawson sights that I can shoot better(but not by much),but I can't very well conceal carry it either,which I wouldn't do anyway with the modifications.Which is why I brought the Caracal in the first place.I liked the idea of having a polymer carry gun with an awesome trigger that was totally stock.For now I'm still carrying my G26 but that's only because of the conveinence of pocket carry and ease of concealment.When the temperature drops I'll be strapping on the Caracal.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    You may want to check this video by MAC out. Pretty decent review.

Caracal 9mm Pistol Review - YouTube

Looks like a well made gun by all accounts, probably would work well for you. All I would suggest is that you make sure your not buying this gun because it's 100 bucks cheaper than some of it's competitors. If you want this gun because you just straight up think it's a cool gun and you want something a little different then go for it and don't look back.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Its a great gun. I am a PPQ guy and as far as I was concerned it had the best out of the box striker fire trigger of anything there was. I eyed the Caracal for about 6mo. I convinced the owner of my LGS to move 1 of the F models to the rental counter. After 200 rounds of shooting it didnt make it back to the rental counter. I think this gun actually has a better trigger than the PPQ and I already thought that was the best. I am currently searching for a C with qs and hope the release the sub compact before too long. Get 1. You wont regret the purchase. Especially for the price.

Caracal Parts Now Available!

Looking for Caracal parts? Please call to order at (205) 655-7050.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links